PDA

View Full Version : Where are HEM Notes stored

Biju
03-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Looking to ensure I have them autobacked up along with my h/h.

Patvs
03-19-2011, 02:22 PM
They are stored inside the SQL database.

If you use the HoldemManager notes: options--> notes--> export notes--> make sure you export the notes and save the backup file.

Biju
03-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Where in SQL as I have an auto backup set up where the SQL data is saved on a different drive to the program and that drive is backed up via an internet service and I want to ensure notes are part of that.

Patvs
03-19-2011, 09:28 PM
You'll have to reinstall PostgreSQL to the PostgreSQL data backup folder--> connect to the database---> export the notes.

Biju
03-20-2011, 11:35 AM
wow........ that went straight over my head.

I have Carbonite that backs up selected data files to an internet server. Can't I just add the file where notes are stored to the backup list as with all other data? I already do this with my SQL Data so it might already be happening?

Patvs
03-20-2011, 05:46 PM
The notes aren't stored in a special file.

The PostgreSQL database is stored in: /Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.x/data/base/#####

(#### = a random number, like '16392')

It's not possible to extract the notes from just one of these files.

You can only export the notes with the "options-->notes-->export notes" feature in HoldemManager, which requires you to be connected to the database.

Biju
03-20-2011, 06:53 PM
OK. So if I am backing up these files you describe, which I am, are my notes also backed up and reteivable if I reinstall these files if I have an issue, or should I be doing regular exports/imports of notes.

Patvs
03-20-2011, 07:18 PM
In theory: if you backup the entire folder. You can connect to the database. To export your notes.

But connecting to a database, if you have a backup of the data folder often doesn't work. (and won't work if for example there is a corruption in one of the database indexes)

It's a lot saver to:
-manually export the notes in HoldemManager, once a month or
-create .backup with the Backup & Restore utility and save that file instead. Watch video @ http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/418/Backup+%26+Restore

Biju
03-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Watched the Vid and it doesn't mention notes. If I use the HEM Backup, which looks a great new addition, does this back up my notes too?

As an aside does this backup tool cover everything including the h/h or do I need to seperately back up HMArchive still?

Patvs
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM
You also need to backup your HMArchive since that folder contains the original handhistories in their original formatting.

Backup & Restore utility : if you backup the database, that will automatically include the notes. Though, again if the notes are that important, also just export them once a month in HoldemManager as an extra backup.

Biju
03-23-2011, 06:14 PM
OK to be safe I tried to back up my notes via HEM Notes Export. How do you change the destination file that HEM saves the notes in as it saves them in program files on C: drive and I want them on my D: data drive as this is my back up drive.

Patvs
03-23-2011, 06:26 PM
It's not possible to pick the location folder for the exported-notes-backup.

Biju
03-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Can that be looked at as a future option - I imagine a lot of people have their back up data in different areas/ drives.

netsrak
03-24-2011, 04:34 AM
Please suggest it or vote for it in our suggestions area: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/suggestions-forums/

Biju
03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
I will but these threads often feel like your fishing an empty lake.

This seems an ommission rather than an improvement so I would hope it might get some internal recommendations too.

regis49
09-21-2011, 06:03 AM
My old pc crashed and I haven't exported my notes but I managed to recover the /Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.4/ folder

Is there any way that I can incorporate the notes in my current PostgresSQL folder? I don't know much about databases and how to use the pgAdminIII and other stuff so let me know

thanks!

netsrak
09-21-2011, 11:34 AM
The only solution you can try is to reinstall postgresql with your old data folder: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database

There is no way to restore notes from the files itself, only from a database.