PDA

View Full Version : Best way to backup HEM DB

housenuts
01-08-2009, 04:58 AM
My computer is really acting up so I want to format my computer and start fresh.

I've only had HEM for about 3 weeks and only have about 20,000 hands.

Is it easier to just save all the archived hand histories and reimport them into a fresh install of HEM, or should I back up my DB in some other fashion?

DK115
01-08-2009, 05:17 AM
Hi,

Having almost the same question.

I did back-up my db using PGAdmin.
Back-up went always fine (returning value=0) but last week had a crash and had to restore a back-up. This gave a lot of errors and new hands did not import (using import from file/directory). Tried this several times with new databases.

Morny suggested something wrong with indexes and I should reload all my hands (which luckely I had archived) So what is the point for a back-up and how should we do this ? (or always keep your hands which takes a lot of space ... not an option to everyone I guess). Please advice. Suggestion: make a good back-up option in HM itself)

housenuts
01-08-2009, 05:44 AM
I think I'm just going to go to Database Management, and export hands...and then reimport them on my new computer.

Will this ensure everything is copied over properly? I realize I'll have to set up my hero names and aliases again, but that's no problem. I've also exported my HUD configuration because I've tweaked that how I like it.

A couple other options here and there to turn on/off but I think this way is easier than doing the whole big backup thing, considering my db is pretty small right now.

am i safe to go ahead and do this?

morny
01-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes the safest way is to export your hands and reimport them however that takes longer than doing the backup and restore however as youve seen backup and restore dosent always work. If its only 20k hands id defo do an export and import, for larger ones id use backup and restore to save time however id always keep the HH as a backup too.

mksmipalla
01-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Could you just copy you HMArcive folder with all you hands in it to an external hard drive or a cd then just delete the hands in the HMArcive folder or just half of them to save space?

morny
01-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Yeah you could do that as long as your confident all the hands are there

mksmipalla
01-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah you could do that as long as your confident all the hands are there

Is there another place some of them could be?

morny
01-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Wel this is the default folder, however you may not have had archiving on at one stage or you may have configured your own folder. Im just pointing this out just in case only you can know if theyre all there or not