PDA

View Full Version : Problem importing

gareth336
03-17-2011, 03:32 PM
3 days ago my imports were running fine, today, no hands will import...

I have 13 files containing hands. They are in the usual import folders, the auto import folders are set correctly in HM. In fact, when I auto import, the importer tells me there are 13 files to import from. It actually goes through the process as though it is importing them, but shows 0 hands imported and they dont show up when I run a report.

I have checked the files themselves. They are in the right place and the hands are written in them. They are from Stars and Full Tilt and neither import.

Once it has supposedly imported the hands from the 13 files, it starts over importing from the same 13 files. It doesnt remove them from that folder and move them to my HMArchive folder.

I am running version 1.11.06b

Anyone else having a similar problem? Any ideas on a fix?

Another thing of note that may or may not be related is that when I first load up HM, it takes a lot longer than it usually does, and says it is not responding, before actually loading up.

gareth336
03-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Ive tried creating a new database too and importing into that. but have the same problem.

Also, I forgot to mention before, but the HUD isnt working either.

Patvs
03-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Which SQL version are you using?
Try reinstalling SQL from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)

Also add exceptions to port: 5432, postgres.exe, hmhud.exe to the firewall exceptions list.

gareth336
03-18-2011, 07:31 AM
I'm running Windows 7 and Kaspersky anti virus. I have tried running HM and importing the hands with Kaspersky turned off but the problem is the same.

When I last played 3 days ago, the imports and HUD were working fine. As far as I'm aware, nothing on my setup has changed.

I am currently running Postgres 8.4. I have gone to the link you provided for this and there are a number of different version, which one should I use? 9.0.3-1?

Also, I run my HM, Postgres and store all my HH's on my SSD drive. Is there a preferred version of Postgres I should use for this, because even when I have been able to import hands in the passed, my database seems to get corrupted every 2 weeks or so meaning I have to start from scratch importing all of my hands again (taking about 6 hours each time). Maybe I should save this problem for a thread of it's own once I have fixed the import problem...

netsrak
03-18-2011, 08:52 AM
I think both of your problems are related. An unstable database server can have all kinds of import problems.

Please uninstall Kaspersky to make sure its not causing any problems. You can reinstall it later again.

Now reinstall the original postgresql version, please use 8.4 again.

Which type of SSD are you using? I think the 1st generation SSDs have lots of problems with database application - but Pat is the expert for this. :)

BTW: there is no sense in saving the HHs on the SSD, they are imported once to the database and then moved to an archive where they are not needed while HM is running.

gareth336
03-18-2011, 09:24 AM
OK thanks, I will try that. I've actually just formatted the SSD drive too so am starting from scratch on that.

The SSD drive I am using is a 120GB G.Skill Falcon II SATA II. It's a replacement for a different SSD drive I had when I got the computer new in November. I had all sorts of problems with that one trying to just get the computer to detect it was a nightmare. I'm regretting ever trying to use an SSD! Are newer ones more reliable? Is mine a 1st generation one? Any particular one you recommend? I'm going to try and get the place I bought this one from to refund me because I think it's useless!

I had the HH's being saved from Full Tilt and Stars onto the SSD, then when they had been imported, they were saved in an archive folder on my normal Hard disk. So only the new HH's were on my SSD and only there until they had been imported. I thought it would be faster this way?

gareth336
03-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I've set up HM and Postgres on my 'standard' hard drive now and everything seems to be running fine again. Looks like the SSD was to blame.

So, any recomendations on a replacement? Are there any SSD drives out there at the moment worth bothering with for use with HM? Or am I better off just getting something like a WD Velociraptor 10,000rpm drive instead?

olliepower
03-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I have queried my colleagues on this and one of them who knows more than me will be with you shortly.

Patvs
03-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Which SSD did you have before?
There have been detection problems reported with ALL SSDs with some motherboards.

First check the SSD website, if your motherboard is listed as causing problems.

Generation One: OCZ Vertex, Intel X25M G1, etc.
Generation ZERO: is ALL SSDs that were released prior to that. (I guess officially this was the first generation but these all sucked, and both Intel and OCZ, started calling the next generation G1 'generation 1')
Generation Two: Vertex 2, Intel X25M G2
Generation Three: Vertex 3 (already released), Intel X25M G3 (soon to be released)

G.Skill Falcon II is Generation 1?? I can only find reviews where they compare it to a OCZ Agility.

For benchmarks see: Benchmarks SSD Charts 2010 (http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-charts-2010/benchmarks,110.html) or Home - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News (http://www.anandtech.com)

Why you shouldn't just buy a RAPTOR:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4202/35665.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4202/35666.png

---

Did you run a CrystalDiskMark speedtest on your SSD to see if there was anything wrong with its speeds? (potentially fixed in a firmware update): http://release.crystaldew.info/CrystalDiskMarkSetupEn

gareth336
03-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I just ran that disk util that you suggested and got the following results.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 244.366 MB/s
Sequential Write : 130.080 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 169.712 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 152.439 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 28.513 MB/s [ 6961.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 8.543 MB/s [ 2085.7 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 31.286 MB/s [ 7638.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 8.541 MB/s [ 2085.3 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [E: 0.1% (0.1/119.2 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2011/03/21 15:12:13

I'm guessing that nothing is actually 'wrong' with those speeds, although comparing them to the benchmarks you posted they are pretty damn slow compared to some of the newer model SSDs.

The original SSD I had was an OCZ Vertex, but that simply couldn't be detected. Have they also screwed me over by sending me an inferior drive as a replacement??

I'm not sure where to look to find out if my motherboard (Asus P6X58D Premium) has compatabilty issues with my current G.Skill Falcon II, but I did find some sort of firmware update. Is that likely to fix the problems I've had with the databases regularly corrupting?

The place I bought the computer from have agreed to swap the SSD drive for me again, but I'm not sure if a like for like replacement will see an improvement if it is an issue with it being a 1st generation drive.

From what I can see, the best SSD drive they offer in their machines at the minute is a 'OCZ Vertex 2E SATA-II 160 GB Solid State HDD'. Would it be worth trying to swap mine for one of those?

Thanks for your help. I am useless and hate computers!

Patvs
03-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Results look normal. And they are fine. They're as fast as a Intel X25M G2.

Install SQL 9.0.3 to port 5433 and connect to that instead.

Update the firmware of the drive to the latest version. (also update the firmware of your motherboard)

It's not worth it to upgrade to a Vertex 2. Try to sort out the database corruption issues first with the current drive.

gareth336
03-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks Pat.

I've tried updating my motherboard firmware. I have updated some things, but whether it's the firmware I am not sure! I found updates for different parts of the motherboard such as the USB driver / sound drivers / BIOS upgrade etc, but nothing specifically that claimed to just update the motherboard firmware to the latest version.

I have updated the SSD firmware, but when doing so was given a few errors -
ERROR: erase failure-high low\
ERROR: erase failure|low
ERROR: erase failure-high low\
ERROR: erase failure|high low\

Having checked on a forum run by the SSD manufacturer, I have seen them advise other people with these errors to send it back for replacement, so I think the best thing to do is go ahead with swapping it, though I will be asking what make/model they intend on replacing it with first as I haven't seen to many good things written about this Falcon II drive during my time trying to get it working.