PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum database?

mksmipalla
01-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Can someone tell me what vacuuming the data base does? Is it deleting HHs or any stats?

morny
01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
It reorganises the database so queries run faster, its like getting your engine serviced so to speak

aLLinJeKonT
01-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I purged some hands and after that HEM told me to vacuum database to fill the space that was empty because of the purge of a couple of hands. I tried to do the options--->vacuum analyze database. But there was an error and it told me to do it manually through pgadmin. I tried but the problem is that I dun or dun remember the password u need for the user postgres. I don't know if that's gonna affect HEM in the future. I do remember something about a general password for these things. I believe I got it earlier while fixing a problem. I hope u can answer my questions. Thank you very much for helping.

mksmipalla
01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
ok thanks. so no info is deleted then.

FatBoy
01-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Does holdem manager have to be closed or idle when I vacuum through pgadmin?

qza
01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I purged some hands and after that HEM told me to vacuum database to fill the space that was empty because of the purge of a couple of hands. I tried to do the options--->vacuum analyze database. But there was an error and it told me to do it manually through pgadmin. I tried but the problem is that I dun or dun remember the password u need for the user postgres. I don't know if that's gonna affect HEM in the future. I do remember something about a general password for these things. I believe I got it earlier while fixing a problem. I hope u can answer my questions. Thank you very much for helping.

Yeah, i get the same error, too. Curious about that as well.

You can disable the password for postgres by editing the file named "Edit pg_hba.conf". Down at the very bottom of that file change both "md5" to "trust" then log into pgadmin and click ok leaving the password field blank if it pops up. That should give you access to the database, then go to file > change password and put in a new password leaving the old password field empty, and you'll have a new password and can change that file back to md5.

aLLinJeKonT
01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Hmm, thank you for ur answer buddy. I so want to understand but I dun know where to start. I tried looking everywhere, where I am possible to log in without pw. I read another post though, that even a mod. could not fix it even he did have a pw. They are trying to fix that.

qza
01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Hmm, thank you for ur answer buddy. I so want to understand but I dun know where to start. I tried looking everywhere, where I am possible to log in without pw. I read another post though, that even a mod. could not fix it even he did have a pw. They are trying to fix that.

Did you edit that file?

Start>>Programs>>PostgreSQL>>Configuration Files>>Edit pg_hba.conf

Then change the two md5 to trust at the very bottom of that file, save and close it.

Open the pgAdminIII and double click Servers in the left pane. Then right click on PostgreSQL Database Server and select connect from the popup menu. If a password screen pops up, just leave it blank and click ok. You should now be able to go to File>>Change Password and select a new password. This only works if you first edit the file which will bypass the password.

aLLinJeKonT
01-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Hee thx qza, it worked. But there's seems to be a problem now, I changed it allright, but now if I start up HEM it tells me "password authentication failed for user postgres" , afterwards if I click ok I try to connect to postgreSQL through the database control panel. Then it asks me "The username and/or password was incorrect. Would u like to have HEM configure the database to accept this login and password"

So my question now is should I push YES? I am afraid that something will go wrong here so please answer if some1 knows.

Thank you very much for helping me out here.

qza
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah, if you set a new password in postgres, you should type that into HM where it asks for a password in the database control panel. If you just click yes to have it configure the database to accept the login and password without typing the new password into HM, it will bypass the password feature altogether; it won't erase your database or anything like that.