PDA

View Full Version : Running HEM on two machines

FuturisticHitman
01-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't quite find the information I'm looking for so sorry if I'm repeating a popular question.

I have a desktop and laptop, I've been running HEM on my desktop for a while now but am wanting to also run on the laptop now. I was wondering what the easiest/best way to transfer the database from the desktop HEM to the laptop would be. This way I'll just copy whichever machine's database is the most up to date over to the other machine.

Thanks for any help.

Al1
01-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Hey,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't quite find the information I'm looking for so sorry if I'm repeating a popular question.

I have a desktop and laptop, I've been running HEM on my desktop for a while now but am wanting to also run on the laptop now. I was wondering what the easiest/best way to transfer the database from the desktop HEM to the laptop would be. This way I'll just copy whichever machine's database is the most up to date over to the other machine.

Thanks for any help.

For the DB: http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=12
For HM's settings: Just copy/paste your "Config" folder

robcheshire
01-06-2009, 07:55 AM
I have a variation on the above question.

I have up until now played exclusively on my laptop, but I have just splashed out on a shiny new desktop with a big display for easier multitabling at home. <end brag!>

I am thinking of reinstalling HEM onto both machines, but using a common POSTGRES db on an external USB disk, so that I can plug and play the db onto whichever machine I happen to be using at the time.

Am I setting myself up for heroic failure, or is this a realistic configuration?

Thanks,

Rob

Al1
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I have a variation on the above question.

I have up until now played exclusively on my laptop, but I have just splashed out on a shiny new desktop with a big display for easier multitabling at home. <end brag!>

I am thinking of reinstalling HEM onto both machines, but using a common POSTGRES db on an external USB disk, so that I can plug and play the db onto whichever machine I happen to be using at the time.

Am I setting myself up for heroic failure, or is this a realistic configuration?

Thanks,

Rob

Try this:
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=154

FuturisticHitman
02-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey,

I've tried many times following the FAQ and backing up my desktop DB and restoring on a new DB on the laptop. However, there are always errors when I restore to the fresh laptop DB.

I says something along the lines of errors ignored, 136, and error lines 1 or something like that. If anyone would like the exact message to help diagnose the problem then I'll do that.

I'd much appreciate any suggestions as to what might be going on here and how I can get around it.

Is exporting all my hands from my desktop DB and importing them into the laptop DB and vice versa exactly the same as backing up and restoring databases, or are some things missed off by doing the hands export/import solution? Basically, will both databases be identical doing the export/import thing as they would if I got the backup/restore process to work?

Thanks for any help.

craig1129
02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Is exporting all my hands from my desktop DB and importing them into the laptop DB and vice versa exactly the same as backing up and restoring databases

This is what I am wondering as well. What are the differences between the 2 as far as which would be quicker?

morny
02-03-2009, 02:21 PM
If you follow the Link Al posted youll see that you dont use 2 databases you only use one database so those issues where the database match up dont exist. This was figured out with trial and error as there is no PostgreSQL FAQ so there may be issues with it but the only issues ive heard when using an external database is when people are having trouble setting it up.

You should only backup and restore to a new database, if there is 1 or more hands in the database then you should always use the export HH and import HH but doing it this way isnt very convenient and using 1 database is a better solution if you can get it working although youll need a bit more than basic PC knowledge to set it up

FuturisticHitman
02-19-2009, 05:35 AM
I'm going to attempt to setup this for sure.

I've been looking around though and can't find anywhere that tells me how much disk space to expect to use up. Basically will, for now at least, an 8gb USB stick do for the database or will I need to allocate more than this? I've no idea how big the databases can potentially grow to.

morny
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
For databases with several million hands it could be 30gb+ for just a small database where you dont datamine 8GB should be fine, if it grows too big you can just get a bigger external hard drive and transfer the database

mantheman
03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey,

I've tried many times following the FAQ and backing up my desktop DB and restoring on a new DB on the laptop. However, there are always errors when I restore to the fresh laptop DB.

I says something along the lines of errors ignored, 136, and error lines 1 or something like that. If anyone would like the exact message to help diagnose the problem then I'll do that.

I'd much appreciate any suggestions as to what might be going on here and how I can get around it.

Is exporting all my hands from my desktop DB and importing them into the laptop DB and vice versa exactly the same as backing up and restoring databases, or are some things missed off by doing the hands export/import solution? Basically, will both databases be identical doing the export/import thing as they would if I got the backup/restore process to work?

Thanks for any help.

I'm having this same problem. I don't want to do the export/import routine if possible. Morny, what do you think the reason for the errors is pls... I can't restore the DB on my new laptop!!

morny
03-05-2009, 02:30 PM
If there are problems with the database before you back it up then its going to cause errors when you restore, in this case you need to remove the corrupt database and just import the hands, unfortunately there isnt another way around it

wrap_it
03-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I also tried it with the restore/backup way, the output was:

pg_restore: connecting to database for restore
pg_restore: creating SCHEMA public
pg_restore: creating COMMENT SCHEMA public
pg_restore: creating PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING TOC:
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 451; 2612 16386 PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql postgres
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: language "plpgsql" already exists
Command was:
CREATE PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql;
pg_restore: creating TABLE actiontypes
pg_restore: creating TABLE aliases
[...]

And if I try to load the DB with HEM it says:

: "An error occured when retrieving the player list: ERROR: 22P05: character 0x9d of encoding "WIN1252" has no equivalent in "UTF8""

What did I do wrong?

morny
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
When your installig postgreSQL you can choose different types of encoding win1252 UTF etc, try uninstalling PostgreSQL and this time reinstall it using win1252 and restore and if that dosent work try again with UTF8