PDA

View Full Version : Postgres Frustrations

postoakpoker
01-05-2009, 05:06 AM
Trying to install postgres has easily been the most frustrating, lifetilting thing I've ever tried to do on a computer. First, the download wouldn't work for some reason. It gave me the error message "C://User/me/appdata/location/temp could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred. Try saving to a different location." I searched the forums and tried the download in IE, that worked (I'm on XP, not Vista).

Then I try to run the app several times after unzipping it, trying to follow the instructions on http://www.holdemmanager.net/PostgreSQL_Install_Help.html . I got to the language selection screen, clicked next, and the installer closed and nothing happened. I repeated this process several times. After searching in vain here and other places, I tried rebooting my cpu and the installer finally worked.

So then I figure that at last I'm in the clear, but alas about 80% of the way into the installation, I get an error message! It directed me to go to the log file in C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\tmp\pgerm.log . Unfortunately I clicked out of the error message in sheer frustration and I could not replicate the exact error again when I ran the installer another time. I opened up the file that the error message directed me to and at the end it says "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." following a long list of processed files and directories. Fwiw, when I retry the installer I get the message "An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\lib".

I have absolutely no clue what to do now and frankly I'm getting extremely frustrated with the process. Any insight or suggestions that anybody have would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Al1
01-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Mmm, can you try to remove manually the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL folder (or the equivalent for your system).

Reboot your computer and try a reinstall. Tell me if it changes something.

Can you try this version of postgreSQL: http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp/binary/v8.3.5/win32/postgresql-8.3.5-1.zip

postoakpoker
01-05-2009, 01:50 PM
After I removed said directory and rebooted, the installation went through without a hitch. I suppose trying to reinstall should have been my first step, but I was fed up with it at that point and just went to bed.

Thank you for your assistance.