PDA

View Full Version : Purging hands and Free Disk Space

Armlock
01-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I have purged hands today with 1.06.04 rc9 version. Which I thought previously was working to delete hand histories and free up disk space on my C drive. I made a note to write down how much free disk space I had before I started purging and it told me that I had 31 gigs free before the purge.

After I went through the process, of purging the hands (via options-purge hands) and then vacuumed and analyzed the database, and the ms dos window came up and said the vacuum was successful. It said that it deleted over 6,000,000 hands from Jan 08 to July 08 and did not delete about 150,000 or so that I told it not to delete.

However, it still showed that I had 31 gigs of disk space left with no change in increased disk space on the C drive. The whole point on purging the hands was to free up C drive disk space so I can put in newer hand histories and not run out of space. I am afraid I may run out of room soon it I can't fix the purge problem soon.

In addition, I noticed that the players table still shows the same number of players before the purge of around 346,000 or so.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Al1
01-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Hi,

Can you upgrade HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmUpdate.exe
Patch it: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmUpdate1.07beta.exe

After that: can you remove those lines:
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/5091/removewwwnu1.jpg

Can you retry a purge now. Are your 150'000 hands present?

You can also delete everything which is in the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data\pg_log

Armlock
01-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I upgraded and patched the software. I removed the lines you said to. I purged again, and it said that 0 hands were deleted and the 150,000 were skipped due to my specifications. It did not free up any addition space on my hard drive.

I looked to delete the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data\pg_log. However, I looked, and I only have 8.2 version of PostgreSQL. Should I try to update?

Also, is it ok to delete the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\pg_log file which appears similar to the other one you said. It appears to be like 9.2gigs which would free up some hard drive space as well.

Al1
01-11-2009, 02:43 PM
I upgraded and patched the software. I removed the lines you said to. I purged again, and it said that 0 hands were deleted and the 150,000 were skipped due to my specifications. It did not free up any addition space on my hard drive.

I looked to delete the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data\pg_log. However, I looked, and I only have 8.2 version of PostgreSQL. Should I try to update?

Also, is it ok to delete the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\pg_log file which appears similar to the other one you said. It appears to be like 9.2gigs which would free up some hard drive space as well.

HM works fine with both 8.2 or 8.3. Thus don't upgrade it if it's not necessarly.

You can delete every files in the pg_log folder wihtout issues.

Armlock
01-11-2009, 10:15 PM
So I know i can delete the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\pg_log file.

The real problem is that when I purge my hand histories from HM it does not free up disk space on my hard drive still. This is the reason I am purging in the first place.

My PostgreSQL Database is about 140 gigs large at this point and I need to trim it down.

Please help

Al1
01-11-2009, 10:20 PM
So I know i can delete the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\pg_log file.

The real problem is that when I purge my hand histories from HM it does not free up disk space on my hard drive still. This is the reason I am purging in the first place.

My PostgreSQL Database is about 140 gigs large at this point and I need to trim it down.

Please help

Don't delete the pg_log itself, just all files in this folder.

For the rest, I will escalate the thread to morny.

Have you your own original HHs?

Armlock
01-11-2009, 10:24 PM
yes i have the 150,000 hand histories that I told HM not to delete and i ran a check to make sure i can view them

Al1
01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
yes i have the 150,000 hand histories that I told HM not to delete and i ran a check to make sure i can view them

I was speaking about your HHs text file. Because you will perhaps need them later.

Armlock
01-11-2009, 10:34 PM
I just ckd the hand history text for those hh's and it appears that they are there.

Al1
01-12-2009, 08:18 AM
I just ckd the hand history text for those hh's and it appears that they are there.

Mmm, HHs files are generally here, C:\HMArchive. That's where your HHs files are moved after the import.
If you have all your hands here, that's good.

Armlock
01-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Is anyone working to come up with a solution to my problem of trying to free up disk space on my hard drive via purging of hand histories?

I need to be able to reduce the size of my PostgreSQL Database. It is huge at this point up to 140 gigs.

Please help

Al1
01-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Escalated to morny (Support), he will answer asap.

Rvg72
01-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Armlock, purging hands does not actually free up space without doing a full vacuum through pgadmin. When you delete anything in postgresql it just marks the rows for deletion but they are still taking up space.

1) Open pgadmin from your start menu in windows under postgresql
2) Double click on the server name and enter your postgresql password (default is postgrespass)
3) Click on Databases and select the current database
4) Right click and go to Maintenance and then Vacuum and select Full and Analyze

After doing this reboot and then you should see that a lot of space has been reclaimed.

Roy

Armlock
01-14-2009, 11:13 PM
I did what you said and it appears to have restored about 15 gigs so far.

Thanks for the help.

Lucky Stiff
01-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Armlock, purging hands does not actually free up space without doing a full vacuum through pgadmin. When you delete anything in postgresql it just marks the rows for deletion but they are still taking up space.

2) Double click on the server name and enter your postgresql password (default is postgrespass)
4) Right click and go to Maintenance and then Vacuum and select Full and Analyze

After doing this reboot and then you should see that a lot of space has been reclaimed.

Roy
After step #2 I get a box that says server doesn't listen. This box has further instructions which I cannot interpret--any ideas on how to proceed?

morny
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
This is usually due to something blocking postgreSQL. Can you go to Control Panel > Admin > Services > And try and start the service for PostgreSQL

Let me know what error you get

Also go to Control Panel > Admin > Event Viewer and have a look in there for any PostgreSQL errors under the application or services sections and if there is any then post the exact error it gives. You need to do this after you try and start the service

Al1
01-15-2009, 06:44 PM
After step #2 I get a box that says server doesn't listen. This box has further instructions which I cannot interpret--any ideas on how to proceed?

Can you attach a screenshot please.

Lucky Stiff
01-15-2009, 07:51 PM
This is usually due to something blocking postgreSQL. Can you go to Control Panel > Admin > Services > And try and start the service for PostgreSQL

Let me know what error you get

Also go to Control Panel > Admin > Event Viewer and have a look in there for any PostgreSQL errors under the application or services sections and if there is any then post the exact error it gives. You need to do this after you try and start the service
When I start the service from the control panel>admin>services route I get the following (which doesn't look like an error):
http://i40.tinypic.com/bffkh0.png

muzzard
01-15-2009, 09:29 PM
sorry to side trsack thread, but does purging the hands just remove the HH files, or stats too?

morny
01-16-2009, 01:36 PM
When I start the service from the control panel>admin>services route I get the following (which doesn't look like an error):
http://i40.tinypic.com/bffkh0.png

So no error is coming up then as it says the service has started. If its still started do you still get that error in PGadmin

sorry to side trsack thread, but does purging the hands just remove the HH files, or stats too?

Options > Purge Hand: Completely deletes
Options > Hand History Configuration > Purge Hands: Deletes the HH details but keeps the stats

Lucky Stiff
01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
After step #2 I still get the "server doesn't listen" message

morny
01-16-2009, 09:21 PM
If you go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer just after reproducing the dosent listen error, in the applications or services section does it give an error messages for PostgreSql and if so please post them

Lucky Stiff
01-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Here is the event error:

http://i42.tinypic.com/15mmzva.png

morny
01-16-2009, 10:02 PM
To be honest i dont have a clue what thats about, your best bet would be to post it on the PostgreSQL forums, ive also never seen where the database will start and yet PG Admin wont work.

sawhouse
05-05-2009, 05:55 PM

Roy

How long does it usually take to vacuum? Will it say complete after it is done.

morny
05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Depends on the size of the database, it will prompt you to let you know when its finished, dont try and kill it while its doing it otherwise it can cause major problems