PDA

View Full Version : Stars VPP calculation on HEM

microbob
01-02-2009, 01:09 AM
I was informed about the feature that shows VPP and VPP/hand on HEM and looked at that. My question is in regards to how accurate this is. My concern is that HEM doesn't seem to know how to distinguish between a hand with 6-players that takes place at a 9 or 10 handed table vs. a hand that takes place on a designated 6-max table.

At 6-max tables if the rake reaches $2 you get 2 VPP's. On a full-ring table it requires a $3 rake to get 2 VPP's and it doesn't matter if there are only 6 players seated or 2 players seated...it is still treated as a 6-max table.

Maybe there's some way that HEM is making that distinction but I'm not seeing it and it really wouldn't surprise me if the calculations for VPP's were treating all hands with 6 players as if they happened on 6-max tables. I only just discovered this feature on HEM so have not looked into it too closely myself.

morny
01-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Yes HM would presume 6max if theres only 6 at the table but changing this would be extremely difficult so this isnt likely to change in the short to medium term

microbob
01-02-2009, 01:41 PM
That's what I suspected. Although I'm not sure I understand why making that adjustment would be that hard although I admittedly know next to nothing about such thing. But if you just have HEM look for the "6 Max" designation in the hand history that should get you the more accurate reading.

morny
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Its way more complicated than that, it would require re-writing the whole import process and basically starting from scratch , we will look at this in the future when we get some more developments out

microbob
01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Morny - Don't get into doing that yet because it's about to change a little bit. Stars has said that they are going to add 'partial VPP's' for lower stakes games perhaps sometime in Feb or Mar.

We don't know what this means but it seems like it would like mean that you get 0.5 VPP's if the hand is raked $0.20 or something like that. Currently it requires a rake of $0.40 to earn 1 VPP at stakes 1/2 and lower (both limit and NL). This is to help the NL50 and NL25 types who have a tougher time earning points. Again though, I don't know if that's exactly what the change is going to be. Only that something about the points will be changing soon and it will include the addition of partial VPP's.

Anyway, a Stars rep has told 2+2 that this is going to happen in the next few weeks so you're going to need to adjust your VPP calculator on HEM at that time as well I suppose. I suspect a change like this would be a lot easier to program into HEM than the silly 6-handed on full-ring table issue.

Additionally, a number of us have requested to Stars that they fix that stupid discrepancy about playing 6-handed on a full-ring table. If it's a 6-player hand then it should count as 6-handed regardless of what kind of table it's on. We're kind of hoping Stars will listen to that request as well and actually be able to program the software to recognize 6-player hands on full-ring tables.

Anyway, thanks for your response and hope this preview of what's to come with their VPP's helps you in some way. I seem to have my HEM working decently again so I love it again. The HEM-VPP calculator may be off by a little bit but it's still a really nice addition to have.

morny
01-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Ok thanks for the update