PDA

View Full Version : Database backup question

mksmipalla
12-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Excuse my dumb questions, but I am still trying to lean about this. I see in the FAQ section you talk about backing up you data base and hand histories. When I do a database backup what is that "backing up". Is the database just my stats or are the hud settings and handhistories included in that. If not do I need to make a backup of all these things seperatly like hud settings, players, hand histories? Also should I make a back up of these things onto a seperate drive or cd? Thanks.

qza
12-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Database backup saves all the HH data. If something happens, you should be able to import the db backup into postgres and be good to go. It's also not a bad idea to backup the raw HH just incase the db backup fails to import.

Most importantly, in my opinion, and especially if you spent dozens of hours configuring your hud, is to backup the config folder inside the holdem manager directory. This will backup all of your hud popups, panel positions and the sort. If something happens where the hud won't work or wants to reposition panels, just overwrite the config folder with the backup and everything is fine again.

As for where to backup, I personally backup to my desktop and a USB flash drive. Basically I backup every few days to a folder on my desktop (except for the config folder. Once everything is perfect and saved there's no need to keep backing it up unless you change a hud configuration.) and then backup weekly to my USB drive. This way if a database crashes, I can just import from my desktop backup; if my hard drive fails, I have my USB drive backup to import once everything is installed on a new drive.

mksmipalla
12-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the good info qza. I am not the most computer literate person so taking me a little while to figure all this out. Is it easy to back up to the usb flash drive. This is they way I was thinking of doing it. Also where should I create the folders to back up the database on my computer and the HHs. thanks again. Also is there a FAQ section on how to backup the HHs seperatly or for the HUD backup?

qza
12-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Not a problem - we were all in the same boat at one point or another... you'll get the hang of it after a while.

You can create a folder anywhere, but I prefer the desktop since it provides easy access. Just right click on a blank spot on your desktop, select New from the menu and then Folder and it will put a new folder on the desktop. Now name it backup or whatever you wish. (you probably already knew this, but I thought I'd include it as I'm unaware of what you know and don't know about Windows functions)

Once your backup files are in there slap the USB stick in the computer and access the drive from My Computer. Go inside your backup folder and copy the contents of the folder and paste them into the USB drive. Now you have two backups - one on your desktop for easy access in the event of a postgres/holdem manager problem, and one on your USB stick in the event of a total meltdown of your computer.

Once again, I cannot stress enough the importance of backing up the config file located in the holdem manager directory if you've spent a lot of time on the hud configuration. Since I play mostly at Stars, I'm not too worried about HH data because Stars will send you EVERY hand you've ever played there upon request via email, but I do backups regularly anyway because restoring a backup is much quicker than a raw import of all hands. In fact, my postgres took a dump a couple of weeks ago and I had to do just that, and it was not a problem.

As I said, I'm unsure of your computer skill level, so if you need clarity on some of the steps mentioned above just let me know.

qza
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Also is there a FAQ section on how to backup the HHs seperatly or for the HUD backup?

Yeah, the main FAQ page towards the top of the page has a link titled, how to backup a database, or something like that, and that is the one that shows step-by-step how to backup and restore using postgres. For the hud, all settings, panels, popups, etc. are contained in the config folder located at: C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager you can actually paste that in the run menu from the start menu of windows, and it will take you there directly.

mksmipalla
12-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks again. really appreciate the help. I am just ok with windows functions so the specific info is great. I'm going to do both, the desk top backup and on the flash drive. What size flash drive do you recommend I get to hold the database files. My database isn't that big yet. Should I also make the backup folder for the HUD config. in the desktop section?

qza
12-30-2008, 11:46 PM
You're welcome - glad I could help.

Just put the config folder in the main backup folder with the database backup that way you only have one folder to backup to the USB stick. For the size, I've got about 250k hands and the postgres backup file is only about 130MB and the config folder is tiny, so it doesn't need to be very large.