PDA

View Full Version : Big Picture Questions

fnord
12-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Ok, I have been looking through the FAQ's, but I really don't see anything that describes the architecture of the HUD (for lack of a better word).

What I mean by this is I don't see anything that really explains how the pieces (e.g. configurations) all fit together. For instance, if I make a configuration for 6max NL, and the default configuration also is checked for 6 max NL, do both sets of stats show up? I have seen in some videos several blocks of data, is this done by using configurations?

I saw one post that said you needed a game window open to configure the HUD, is that just for configuring where everything goes?

The FAQ's look really good for telling me how to do things and what things mean at a low level, but I am someone who tends to think things out at a high level then work down to the implementation. I have been trying to put all the pieces together, and there is a huge amount of information available but it is spread over a wide range of disjoint FAQ's and the forums. A nice high level framing of the tool and major components would go a long way in helping slow people like me orient themselves.

Edit: I have been experimenting some and figuring some of this stuff out, but a general guide seems like it would be a great addition to the documentation.

morny
12-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Im not sure exactly what your looking for as you havent mentioned anything specific, its all in the FAQs but if i put them all in one big FAQ people would find them daunting so youll see alot of links to other FAQs and also to videos etc that show you all this stuff its just a matter of searching the FAQs or if you cant find them ask a specific question.

To your specific question about layouts here is that FAQ: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=135

fnord
12-29-2008, 10:15 PM
What I am describing is a top level users guide. The chapters would only have to be a page or two and reference the appropriate things already written. So something like (and this is how I would do it for someone who may have little technical knowledge and no previous tracker/hud experience):

Chapter One: General Overview

Holdem Manager is a tool designed to yada yada yada laying out the basic functionality and major components.

Chapter Two - First Major Component (probably setting up imports). Brief description of what this does and why and links to the site specific FAQ's. (Aside: is there a way to change where the files are archived? I thought I did when I set up the folders, but they still go to HMArchive, and I haven't figured out the triggering mechanism yet since some just hung around in the hand history folder today).

Chapter Three - second major component (HUD or Reports, for Hud Something like...

The top level element in our HUD is the configuration item. This links a specific game type or types to a display. Game types can be defined by table size (HU, 6Max, Full ring), Format (NL, Limit, Tourney) and site (all sites or one particular site). (This is kind of rough, just off the top of my head, but basically you are laying out the architecture of the HUD as it appears to users). Link in configuration building FAQ's

For each configuration you can define the explicit statistics to be displayed and how to display them. (links to what the statistics are). When displaying statistics, you can use one panel or several, and within each panel you can display one or more statistic per line yada yada yada and appropriate links.

More words... you have to open a table to arrange where everything on the screen will actually appear etc etc etc

Chapter on reports

Chapter(s) on any advanced topics

The only reason I knew (well thought really) you could have multiple panels was because I saw some videos where it looked like people had their huds set up that way. I only figured out what I think I know about how things work by experimenting and assimilating little tidbits of information from various FAQ's. You have all these great details but nothing that really frames them. I know writing user documentation isn't easy, I hate doing it myself, but my strong suggestion would be to put together a top level document framing the tool and how the major components fit together and work.

morny
12-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi, dont know if you read them already but these 2 FAQs already pretty much sum up what your asking and have videos for the more complicated sections that are difficult to explain:

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?topicid=1&faqid=2

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?topicid=1&faqid=3

Theyre are so many developments going on at regular intervals that there may be some new things since but we keep it updated everytime theres a major update (youll see a new one when Tourney Support is added for example) so if you dont think they cover exactly what you need then suggest it here: http://holdemmanager.uservoice.com/ and if theres enough support then ill add this when i make the updated FAQs soon when tourney support is added