PDA

View Full Version : Hands not importing into Manager

raistlinx
12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
I am currently on day 10 of the 15 day trial of Manager. Up to today everything has worked fine however now I can not import a hand history file from Stars.

The first 27 hands from the file imported correctly but no more will. Managers was simultaneously importing correctly from other HH files while I played.

The error is: C:\Documents and Settings\Rob\Desktop\HH20081228 Bateson V fast - $0.25-$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em.txt An item with the same key has already been added.

I tried to purge the existing 27 hands in the DB from manager but it doesn't purge them (others have purged without problem)

I have upgraded to the latest beta also.

Further, I tried manually removing the hands already imported from the .txt file and then tried removing the next hand as well. Nothing will import from the file.

Regards

morny
12-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Can you setup a new database http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146 and reimport all your hands into this and see if it solves the problem

raistlinx
12-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Can you setup a new database http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146 and reimport all your hands into this and see if it solves the problem

This seems to be the standard solution to a lot of problems and is just not going to be practical over and over for large numbers of hands.

Since modern relational database programs tend to not corrupt on their own I assume these problems are bugs in your software. Are they being researched or is "create a new and reimport" the accepted solution?

morny
12-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Lots of things can cause this problem including auto import folders setup incorrectly, bad hard drive, losing power, shutting down incorrectly etc

Ive been running HM for over a year now on 3 different computers, i play alot, i mine 24 hours a day, and i import a heck of alot of hands that people send me that they say dont work plus im probably one of the few people that has installed almost every upgrade plus the fact ive played on every single site HM supports for writing FAQs etc and i havent had a corrupt database yet, ive also ran it on XP and Vista so i presume if your having a problem it might be one of the causes ive had above.

I will admit some people do seem to have a bit of trouble most likely again caused by those issues i mentioned but for the most part people dont have these issues very often. Roy the developer has responded to this already and were unaware of any bugs that would cause it to corrupt

raistlinx
12-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Ok, first ignore the stated comment about purging hands, that was my own error.

Creating a new DB worked. I hope this is a one-time problem.

Regards.

john2
12-29-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm having the same problems...again. It's missing about 1% of hands.

I play on Stars and have a huge database.

I have had this problem three times before, and each time set up a new DB. Each time, this solution has worked, but it takes me HOURS and HOURS to reimport all the hands, during which time, I cannot use my computer to play.

Auto Import folders are configured correctly, I use the standard "Turn Off Computer" method for shutting down, and I do lose power sometimes (I'm in a third world country), but I have a battery backup that gives me fifteen minutes, plenty of time to shut down.

Is there any other permanent solution?

Thank You,
John

P.S. In each instance, I have had the latest upgrade. One of these times was when I transferred to my new HD (used ONLY by HEM)...I exported (which took quite a long time), imported (which took quite a long time), and the DB never worked from the start, so manually reimported all the hands, which took the whole day.

morny
12-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Since youve ruled out the other problems then it might be something to do with the hard drive, again we run the same program and i use it more intensively than most so it shouldnt be something in HM that causes it. You also mention that you lose power occassionaly, this might be the problem as although you might be there sometimes im sure there is occassions where your not there and it loses power.

So id look into getting the Hard Drive checked and maybe turning off the PC if you dont mine when away from the PC

john2
12-30-2008, 04:50 PM
First off, let me say that I'm very impressed with the HEM software and especially the support it receives. I've never seen a software product with such great customer support. (Not saying much in the field of software development, but it IS great support!)

I'm not criticizing the product in any way, as I know this type of problem is difficult or near-impossible to track down on specific computers, and it could be (as you said) my computer causing the problems.

My current hard drive is new as of early this month, and I transferred all my HEM files to it. HEM has had the same issue on both hard drives.

In addition to power blackouts, the power is shut down every night in the building where my computer resides. I do leave the computer on (d/l other stuff), but do not leave HEM running at that time. Will this still cause corruption?

Thank You.

raistlinx
12-31-2008, 09:33 AM
It shouldn't. Unless this is a general problem with Postgre the power should not be an issue. Even though the Postgre service is still running it should not be actively accessing the hard drive.

This is a problem with the software which hopefully gets found and fixed for a future release. It is probably something that just hasn't been discovered yet like the program auto importing hands while Reindexing or something. I don't know.

Too many people have had problems for it to be hard drive or power source related.

zippo
12-31-2008, 09:54 PM
In my case that import error always occurs when a player with a 'special' character in his name is at the table e.g. 'SiCk/\TiCk'.

Should be easy to fix.

Thanks and greetings
Walter

john2
12-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Should be easy to fix.

You would never say that if you were a software developer!! LOL.

Seriously, even seemingly "easy" bugs can give hours of frustration.

zippo
12-31-2008, 10:57 PM
I know ;-)

But dealing with special characters is the basics.

BTW I did develop software....