PDA

View Full Version : Getting my HM3 database from one computer to another

xl1k
01-11-2020, 06:42 AM
Hi!

I have installed HM3 on my other computer and I want to get a database from the computer where I play and store my database.
HM2 has a cloud function. All you need is to log in and sync your database.
I can't find a similar function for my HM3. How do I upload my database to another computer giving that I don't play poker on that computer and the whole database is stored at another computer? Is there some kind of cloud service?
If it is possible, how do I keep both databases updated?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

fozzy71
01-11-2020, 08:17 AM
You can transfer a database to a new computer for the first time a number of different ways. In HM2 the preferred way for the first transfer of a database to a new computer, even if it were to be a 'sync'd cloud database) was to first backup the database on the original machine then restore it on the new machine before you started playing and using HM2's Cloud/Sync feature.

HMT-3119
HM3 Cloud database sync - missing HM2 Feature

HM2's Sync feature was actually quite flawed for many of our customers in a number of ways. HM3 has no such feature at this time but it is a very popular feature request. This feature request has been documented in detail and provided to the developers for future consideration. *If you want to be notified if/when it is added please send an email via the 'Contact Support' link (https://support.holdemmanager.com/) and include "Notify Me When HMT-3119 Is Resolved" in the subject line and body of the email.

The only way to 'sync them currently is manually. You would need to keep your \HM3Archive folder on both machines sync'd via dropbox (or similar cloud hosting service), and manually import recent hands to each computer like we suggest for HM2 -*http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/3221/Sync+Hands+Between+2+PC%27s+Using+Dropbox

You can use the Tools - Backup/Restore Database menu option for the initial transfer of the database but after that you will have to manually import hands to keep them in sync.

Or you can simply transfer (or compress/zip, transfer and unzip if file size is a concern) a copy of the actual database file itself. HM2 used PostgreSQL and it's database was made up of thousands of smaller files but HM3 uses a flat single file *.hmdb file for the database.

Close HM3 and right-click - 'Exit' the HM3 Server icon in the Windows Notification Tray.

The *.hmdb files are saved by default in*C:\Users\{Username}\Documents\Holdem Manager 3\Databases

If you are uploading it to a cloud service for someone like our support to download it, or putting it on a thumb drive to transfer and free space is a concern, you can compress the file (right-click - send to - compressed folder) before uploading or transferring.

tappiinasti
11-20-2020, 05:59 PM
You can transfer a database to a new computer for the first time a number of different ways. In HM2 the preferred way for the first transfer of a database to a new computer, even if it were to be a 'sync'd cloud database) was to first backup the database on the original machine then restore it on the new machine before you started playing and using HM2's Cloud/Sync feature.

HMT-3119
HM3 Cloud database sync - missing HM2 Feature

HM2's Sync feature was actually quite flawed for many of our customers in a number of ways. HM3 has no such feature at this time but it is a very popular feature request. This feature request has been documented in detail and provided to the developers for future consideration. *If you want to be notified if/when it is added please send an email via the 'Contact Support' link (https://support.holdemmanager.com/) and include "Notify Me When HMT-3119 Is Resolved" in the subject line and body of the email.

The only way to 'sync them currently is manually. You would need to keep your \HM3Archive folder on both machines sync'd via dropbox (or similar cloud hosting service), and manually import recent hands to each computer like we suggest for HM2 -*http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/3221/Sync+Hands+Between+2+PC%27s+Using+Dropbox

You can use the Tools - Backup/Restore Database menu option for the initial transfer of the database but after that you will have to manually import hands to keep them in sync.

Or you can simply transfer (or compress/zip, transfer and unzip if file size is a concern) a copy of the actual database file itself. HM2 used PostgreSQL and it's database was made up of thousands of smaller files but HM3 uses a flat single file *.hmdb file for the database.

Close HM3 and right-click - 'Exit' the HM3 Server icon in the Windows Notification Tray.

The *.hmdb files are saved by default in*C:\Users\{Username}\Documents\Holdem Manager 3\Databases

If you are uploading it to a cloud service for someone like our support to download it, or putting it on a thumb drive to transfer and free space is a concern, you can compress the file (right-click - send to - compressed folder) before uploading or transferring.

Copied the .hmdb file from my old computer, tried both importing and restoring it. HM3 doesn't recognize the file - what now?

udbrky
11-20-2020, 11:42 PM
Did you use File - Open Database and point to the file?

huskerfan5b
07-22-2021, 06:57 AM
Did you use File - Open Database and point to the file?

Has 3119 been resolved yet? I bought a new computer and would like to transfer my database over to new computer.

fozzy71
07-22-2021, 10:41 AM
Has 3119 been resolved yet? I bought a new computer and would like to transfer my database over to new computer.

No, I do not have an estimate as to when we might develop a HM3 Cloud Database Sync.

To transfer the HM3 database and settings from one PC to another:

- Please create a HM3 backup via the Tools - 'Backup Database...' menu.
- Transfer that file to your new PC via removable media/storage such as a USB flash drive.
- Restore it via the Tools - 'Restore Database...' menu.

You can make a backup of the active database and settings at any time by using the Tools - 'Backup Database...' menu then restore it using the Tools - 'Restore Database...' option.
- Individual HUD Profiles can also be exported from the HUD - HUD Editor - Options button menu.
- All original hands that are auto-imported get moved to an archive for performance reasons. Your \HM3Archive is in C:\HM3Archive by default, but you may have put it anywhere. The archive should be organized by \Network\Month\DayOfMonth (example: C:\HM3Archive\SiteName\HM3Archive\2016\07\31). It is configured in the Tools - Settings - Import menu.

If you also want to manually backup the database/settings files: Your actual uncompressed HM3 databases are stored in C:\Users\{UserName}\Documents\Holdem Manager 3\Databases\. Your personalized HM3 settings/files are stored in C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Max Value Software\Holdem Manager\3.0\. If you can't see those folders/files, turn off the windows option (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10-97fbc472-c603-9d90-91d0-1166d1d9f4b5) that is hiding that directory.

huskerfan5b
07-22-2021, 03:14 PM
Thank you. That was helpful. I saved the database to a flash drive. And on my new computer, I started the restore database process. It found the correct type of file on my flash drive, but once the restore started, nothing happened, no progress bar, just this image appeared as if the restoration had started and was in progress but no progress bar. See attached image. What should I do next? 165488

No, I do not have an estimate as to when we might develop a HM3 Cloud Database Sync.

To transfer the HM3 database and settings from one PC to another:

- Please create a HM3 backup via the Tools - 'Backup Database...' menu.
- Transfer that file to your new PC via removable media/storage such as a USB flash drive.
- Restore it via the Tools - 'Restore Database...' menu.

You can make a backup of the active database and settings at any time by using the Tools - 'Backup Database...' menu then restore it using the Tools - 'Restore Database...' option.
- Individual HUD Profiles can also be exported from the HUD - HUD Editor - Options button menu.
- All original hands that are auto-imported get moved to an archive for performance reasons. Your \HM3Archive is in C:\HM3Archive by default, but you may have put it anywhere. The archive should be organized by \Network\Month\DayOfMonth (example: C:\HM3Archive\SiteName\HM3Archive\2016\07\31). It is configured in the Tools - Settings - Import menu.

If you also want to manually backup the database/settings files: Your actual uncompressed HM3 databases are stored in C:\Users\{UserName}\Documents\Holdem Manager 3\Databases\. Your personalized HM3 settings/files are stored in C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Max Value Software\Holdem Manager\3.0\. If you can't see those folders/files, turn off the windows option (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10-97fbc472-c603-9d90-91d0-1166d1d9f4b5) that is hiding that directory.

udbrky
07-26-2021, 05:51 PM
Try moving it to your local drive first.

huskerfan5b
07-28-2021, 05:23 AM
Try moving it to your local drive first.

Thanks. I did that and it found the file and said restore complete very quickly (which I found odd because I have close to 400K hands) but then when I opened HM3 there were no hands there anymore, not even the ones that I had played on the new computer in the first instance.

fozzy71
07-28-2021, 10:45 AM
Thanks. I did that and it found the file and said restore complete very quickly (which I found odd because I have close to 400K hands) but then when I opened HM3 there were no hands there anymore, not even the ones that I had played on the new computer in the first instance.

Can you upload that *.hmdbbackup file to a file hosting site and send that to us in a support ticket for testing along with a copy of your log files please?

Please 'Contact Support' (https://support.holdemmanager.com/support/category/19) with a link to this thread and your forum username.

If the attachment is larger than 10MB please upload them to a file hosting site wetransfer (https://wetransfer.com/) or filedropper (https://www.filedropper.com/) and copy/paste the download link directly into the support ticket email.

Please reproduce the problem and attach a set of log files (https://support.holdemmanager.com/support/faqView/Holdem-Manager-3/194/How-to-send-HM3-log-files-to-support) and a screenshot and detailed description of the issue in the support ticket you created.

thecontrarian
02-04-2022, 11:27 AM
How do you transfer settings? Transferring the DB is easy, but I see no options for settings - things like the hand grid layout and reporting config

fozzy71
02-04-2022, 12:21 PM
How do you transfer settings? Transferring the DB is easy, but I see no options for settings - things like the hand grid layout and reporting config

Reports are not part of the backup unfortunately. You have to transfer those manually from C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Max Value Software\Holdem Manager\3.0\Reports and C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Max Value Software\Holdem Manager\3.0\Config\Column Settings. If you can't see it, turn off the windows option that is hiding that directory (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10-97fbc472-c603-9d90-91d0-1166d1d9f4b5).