PDA

View Full Version : User 'postgres' could not be created. the user account already exists

nmstate
12-26-2008, 09:37 PM
This is the error i get right at the end of the postgres installer and then it rollsback and does not install.

THIS IS WHAT APPEARS WHEN I TRY TO OPEN HOLDEM MANAGER
A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made

Al1
12-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi,

Reinstall postgreSQL but use "holdemmanager" (or what you want) instead of "postgres" for the username. Do it for every username.

The second error occurs probably because postgreSQL is not installed at all.

Nick456
02-08-2009, 11:53 AM
changing the name to holdemmanager does not work either

it gives the same error!!

can someone help me further.

morny
02-08-2009, 12:00 PM
havent seen a solution for this account lookup error yet but anyone that did solve it simply tried a different version of postgreSQL so try this version http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.4/win32/ and if that dosent work try version 8.2

If that dosent work maybe contact the guys on the PostgreSQL forum as theyd have more experience and might be able to find a solution

Nick456
02-08-2009, 12:08 PM
a lot of the mirrors are not working i already tried ten of those
no im downloading v8.2.12

i will let you know if i works, thanks for your help so far

binary/v8.3.4/win32/postgresql-8.3.4-1.zip

morny
02-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Try this one: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgresql.zip

Nick456
02-08-2009, 12:36 PM
it's the same installer as in my openingspost.

i filled in for account name and account domain: holdemmanager
and changed superusername to holdemmanager and filled in my password

i get the following error

user holdemmanager could not be created. THe user account already exists.

is this the forum you mentioned earlier do they have any experience with holdem manager or is that not important.

http://www.postgresqlforums.com/forums/

SootedNinjas
02-08-2009, 12:53 PM
If you have a an existing DB on Postgres backup it up using pgadmin then uninstall via Windows Control Panel and then reinstall Postgres following the HEM faq. After a successful reinstall then restore Postgres DB.

morny
02-08-2009, 01:07 PM

is this the forum you mentioned earlier do they have any experience with holdem manager or is that not important.

If you get that message just change the username to something like holdemmanager09 or something different.

Also heres a few more alternative versions http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/

Nick456
02-08-2009, 01:19 PM
holla, no i get another error message

the following, i hope you can help me though

Two popups

first one:
Error
Internal account lookup failure

second one;
fatal error
installation ended prematurely because of an error

SootedNinjas
02-08-2009, 01:21 PM
holla, no i get another error message

the following, i hope you can help me though

Two popups

first one:
Error
Internal account lookup failure

second one;
fatal error
installation ended prematurely because of an error

I had this errors before and it was resolved by uninstalling the current version and reinstalling a new one. I had to backup my DB first then after the reinstall restore the DB.

Nick456
02-08-2009, 01:24 PM
I had this errors before and it was resolved by uninstalling the current version and reinstalling a new one. I had to backup my DB first then after the reinstall restore the DB.

i already tried this.

Al1
02-08-2009, 01:30 PM
i already tried this.

Can you backup your DB, uninstall postgreSQL AND delete after that manually the postgreSQL folder (generally in Program Files). Then reboot your PC and reinstall postgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/

Nick456
02-08-2009, 01:33 PM
But i cant uninstall progresql because i cant install it.

i can manualy delete the folder under program files if that helps

i let you know in a couple minutes.

SootedNinjas
02-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Can you backup your DB, uninstall postgreSQL AND delete after that manually the postgreSQL folder (generally in Program Files). Then reboot your PC and reinstall postgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/

Good point. Deleting the folder and rebooting could do the trick. Come to think of it I remember deleting the folder before the reinstall because I want to move the Postgres folder out of the C: drive for performance reasons.

Nick456
02-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I dont have a folder of progres because i cant install it.
i just reboot the pc, tried to install with an unique username but still the same error

pfffff,

morny
02-08-2009, 02:48 PM

I havent seen a solution for this account lookup error yet but anyone that did solve it simply tried a different version of postgreSQL so try this version http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary so try a few different versions

If that dosent work maybe contact the guys on the PostgreSQL forum as theyd have more experience and might be able to find a solution, again alot of people had this problem but nobody has came back to tell me about any other solutions so i presume the other versions fix it

Nick456
02-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I havent seen a solution for this account lookup error yet but anyone that did solve it simply tried a different version of postgreSQL so try this version http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary so try a few different versions

If that dosent work maybe contact the guys on the PostgreSQL forum as theyd have more experience and might be able to find a solution, again alot of people had this problem but nobody has came back to tell me about any other solutions so i presume the other versions fix it

I'm gonna try other versions. Let you know.

gwd
02-08-2009, 03:32 PM
try right clicking on the postgress exe,choose properties and click on RUN AS ADMISTRATOR.

Nick456
02-08-2009, 03:51 PM
IT WORKS !! IT WORKS !! Thanks all, with version postgresql-8.2.12-1

CraigMachine513
02-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Ok I had the same problem here is solution
go to user accounts advanced settings and delete your postgres userid's or whatever they are.
Then fresh install postres and make sure to put the new username (same in all fields) the put that username in the field for HEM
be sure to lowercase whatever username you use as hem doesn't transfer cases when using its postgres functions (that wasted a good half hour)

Bingo_Babe
02-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Hello, I had the postgres username error too not working in 8.3 but... I tried holdemmanager and it worked just fine... I don't know whats up lol.

AstonMartinDB9
03-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey all,

One of my friends has just tried to install postgresl and is having no end of problems. I was very lucky and had none!

ANyway, he is getting the same error message as the OP and we have tried everything mentioned in this thread so far..and are STILL getting the same message.

Any other suggestions please anyone?:(

Thanks in advance :)

Just to give some more info, as Ive been battling away with this..we have tried numerous usernames and passwords...deleted, rebooted, tried another version..and everytime the username exists. There is nothing linked in his user accounts. I also got him to look under admin tools>>services>>and postgreSQL isnt listed in there. I have gleaned no help from the SQL forums...I hope someone can help :(:(

AstonMartinDB9
03-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Bump.

Anyone?:(

Al1
03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey all,

One of my friends has just tried to install postgresl and is having no end of problems. I was very lucky and had none!

ANyway, he is getting the same error message as the OP and we have tried everything mentioned in this thread so far..and are STILL getting the same message.

Any other suggestions please anyone?:(

Thanks in advance :)

Just to give some more info, as Ive been battling away with this..we have tried numerous usernames and passwords...deleted, rebooted, tried another version..and everytime the username exists. There is nothing linked in his user accounts. I also got him to look under admin tools>>services>>and postgreSQL isnt listed in there. I have gleaned no help from the SQL forums...I hope someone can help :(:(

Have you manually deleted the postgreSQL folder in Program Files after uninstalling postgreSQL? This is important, because it removes your usernames.

AstonMartinDB9
03-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Al,

Thankyou very much for your response. Yes we have tried that to no avail. Im just about to do a teamviewer session with him to see if he's not doing something right and to see if I can track down the user. If I fail, would it be possible for me to have him contact one of your team for a teamviewer session please?

Many thanks.

Al1
03-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Al,

Thankyou very much for your response. Yes we have tried that to no avail. Im just about to do a teamviewer session with him to see if he's not doing something right and to see if I can track down the user. If I fail, would it be possible for me to have him contact one of your team for a teamviewer session please?

Many thanks.

Yep.

Escalated to morny (Support), he will answer asap.

SootedNinjas
03-06-2009, 04:54 PM
You might find some answers in that postgresql forums if they have one.

Maybe there is a "clean-up" script available from them. Might be there are some registry entries that needs to be deleted.

AstonMartinDB9
03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks very much Al and Sooted :)

Checked out the postgreSQL forums..couldnt get a whole lot more info.

We have managed to delete all users now..(hopefully) ran cmd net user...and net user 'user' / delete..and they appear to have gone...rebooted..nothing in user groups..so, fingers crossed it works now :)

SootedNinjas
03-06-2009, 05:09 PM
good luck...

AstonMartinDB9
03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Ok.

We didnt get that the user was already created! Yippee! SO, im content we managed to delete the user groups.

However, new error, and it comes up at the point of installation 'creating user group' 'internal lookup failure. no mapping between account names and security IDs was done'.

Thoughts?

Edit: Trying another version again - hopefully we have cured the user account exists thing and the account lookup is seperate. :)

AstonMartinDB9
03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
YES!!!!!! Finally got it installed :):):)

For anyone else that is having issues with the user postgres has already been created..and finds that nothing else works in this thread, go to your command function (for Vista users, type cmd in search) and type net user. This will show you which user groups are on your pc. We had tried to find postgres via user groups..and computer management but could not find it anywhere.

Net user will tell you if the user is on your machine. If it is, type the command: net user postgres /delete or any other usernames you might have tried. Go to the program files and ensure everything postgres is deleted and reboot. Reinstall and remember the default is NOT morny pc..it is whatever your account is (normally something like OWNER-PC) otherwise the lookup failure will occur.

We had to try another version in the end (one we had already tried) but, yeah it worked :):)

Thanks to AL and Sooted for your help. :)

SootedNinjas
03-06-2009, 06:09 PM
booyaaa

Al1
03-06-2009, 08:54 PM

For anyone else that is having issues with the user postgres has already been created..and finds that nothing else works in this thread, go to your command function (for Vista users, type cmd in search) and type net user. This will show you which user groups are on your pc. We had tried to find postgres via user groups..and computer management but could not find it anywhere.

Net user will tell you if the user is on your machine. If it is, type the command: net user postgres /delete or any other usernames you might have tried. Go to the program files and ensure everything postgres is deleted and reboot. Reinstall and remember the default is NOT morny pc..it is whatever your account is (normally something like OWNER-PC) otherwise the lookup failure will occur.

We had to try another version in the end (one we had already tried) but, yeah it worked :):)

Your welcome, that's good it works.

Thx for the tip btw.

Anchois
03-23-2009, 07:23 PM

I've been having the same problem as OP and I can't understand the advice in the post above.
Could anyone please tell me what must be changed and what must be left as it is (Account name / ) ?

I don't know if anything is installed on the computer. I can only delete manually the postgres files since the install hasn't been successful.

What am I doing wrong ?

My computer uses Windows XP btw.

Thanks.

morny
03-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Theres so many posts in here that it just gets confusing exactly what your problem is so if you can please start a new thread and tell me exactly what your error is and what youve tried it will be much easier to help you find a solution

aerials
12-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Okay, I'm on hour 3 of installation so I'm pleading for help.

I had all of the errors mentioned in this forum thread.

Now when I go to cmd and type in netuser I have over 9 accounts including holdemmanager, holdemanager1, postgres, postgres111 etc etc.. since I tried making up all these names so I would run into 'account name already created.'

I tried /net user 'X Account' \delete and now its a System 5 error. Cannot delete. I've spent an hour trying to configure my regedit and deleting anything do with postgres. I dont have a postgres folder in my programs files (since I can't install).

How can I delete these user accounts?

netsrak
12-27-2009, 01:46 PM
You only need to delete the postgres user account.

Type
net user postgres /delete

with spaces between all the words

fozzy71
12-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel. (if it appears)
2) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

Do the same for any other user names you created trying to install postgresql

Use these instructions to install postgresql - http://forums.holdemmanager.com/showthread.php?t=20755

aerials
12-29-2009, 01:04 PM
You only need to delete the postgres user account.

Type

with spaces between all the words

Nice this worked... Now phase 2.

4entourage
01-24-2010, 02:24 PM

Say I did that command on the wrong computer, now HEM wont load. Whats the reversal? I tried un-installing and re-installing postSQL and that didnt work-- now I have 2 that dont work.

The one on this PC that wont let me re-install---and the one on the laptop I accidentally "net user postgres /delete " 'd on and I didnt mean to. Yes, dumb I know I was dealing with 3 hem accts on 3 pc's and I got keyboards mixed up! How do I make HEM work again on the laptop I didnt mean to do that command on? I will worry about the other PC later!

netsrak
01-24-2010, 03:56 PM
The best is to make a "clean" reinstall of Postgresql: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/70/Reinstall+PostgreSQL

4entourage
01-24-2010, 06:57 PM
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5995/helpg.jpg

(I accidentally did "net user postgres /delete " on the wrong keyboard)

4entourage
01-24-2010, 08:24 PM
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5995/helpg.jpg

I have un-installed it completely 2 times now. Moved the 70 gig "data" folder to the desktop. Deleted the directory. Deleted the service from the "Services" list. Deleted all links to it in REGEDIT.

Still... when I restart the pc, re-install it...and move the "data" folder back it still can nneeeever start the service for POSTSQL....

fozzy71
01-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Still... when I restart the pc, re-install it...and move the "data" folder back it still can nneeeever start the service for POSTSQL....

That is not how you reinstall an old data folder.

Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe

For reinstalling SQL to the same DB, follow these steps:

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) If you are moving the DB to a different drive/partition, manually cut or copy the \Postgresql\8.x\data directory to it's new location.
3) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

4) reboot.
5) Install the same version of PostgreSQL as your current DB using these instructions - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database
6) If you have moved/installed your DB to a non-default location, please make sure to change the 'Data Directory' path during the installation.

If you need help doing that Please email me at fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer session. Download the Teamviewer Quick Support Module - http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer. Please let me know what time zone you are in and what time/days are convenient for you. I schedule support from 12:00 - 22:00 EDT, 7 days a week.

4entourage
01-25-2010, 12:03 AM
I finally got it all working... for some reason the only way I got it working was installing 8.3, then 8.4 and then I could start the "Service" for SQL.

As for the "Data" folder not being the right way to move it, how is taht wrong? I thought I read all over that if I include that folder it will have the ability to not only have hud stats, but also still be able to use the hand replayer. So as a recap... I

Unstalled all SQL
Reinstalled 8.3
Reinstalled 8.4
Loaded up PGAdmin - restored the database from 67800.database" which was about an 8 gig file.
Once restored, I replace the backed up 'Data' folder which is about 70 gigs (which is all the hands basically...if Im not mistaken)

And Im good to go right?

fozzy71
01-25-2010, 02:34 AM
There are 2 different ways to try and reinstall an old database. The more common method people use is to create a .backup file and then restore it - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database

The other method is to move your \data folder to your new installation path and then install postgresql over your \data folder so it can recreate it - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database

It is 2 different ways to accomplish the same thing.

I finally got it all working... for some reason the only way I got it working was installing 8.3, then 8.4 and then I could start the "Service" for SQL.

As for the "Data" folder not being the right way to move it, how is taht wrong? I thought I read all over that if I include that folder it will have the ability to not only have hud stats, but also still be able to use the hand replayer.

You need to place the \data folder there first and install to the same location as your \data folder. The installer from enterprisedb will recognize the database and it wont initialize a new DB cluster. It will use your old one.

If you were using 8.3 and reinstalling your \data folder you would use these directions:

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) If you are moving the DB to a different drive/partition, manually cut or copy the \Postgresql\8.x\data directory to it's new location.
3) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

4) reboot.
5) Install the same version of PostgreSQL as your current DB using these instructions - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database

We are working on a FAQ for doing that with 8.4. The process is much simpler. The installer recognizes the data folder and you just have to enter your old password (postgrespass). http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.dowindows

6) If you have moved/installed your DB to a non-default location, please make sure to change the 'Data Directory' path during the installation.

.....Loaded up PGAdmin - restored the database from 67800.database" which was about an 8 gig file.

This converts your compressed .backup file to a copy of your old \data folder.

Once restored, I replace the backed up 'Data' folder which is about 70 gigs (which is all the hands basically...if Im not mistaken)

There is no need to do this. The restore process already recreated your \data folder.

4entourage
01-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Alright well I jsut formatted my PC so gonna just ignore the 8.3 steps. I get it all now about the 67800.backup and not needing to actually backup the "data" folder too---

but the only way for the hands to be viewable in the hand replayer is to through Database management-->Export hands.... and after all the formatting is done and I re-install everything...then I have to just add the exported hands I have saved to the import folder and wait like....30 days for it to finish? Hah...sounds funny but no joke..I have like 18 million hands recorded... but tahts the only process to view old hands right?

fozzy71
01-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Alright well I jsut formatted my PC so gonna just ignore the 8.3 steps. I get it all now about the 67800.backup and not needing to actually backup the "data" folder too---

but the only way for the hands to be viewable in the hand replayer is to through Database management-->Export hands.... and after all the formatting is done and I re-install everything...then I have to just add the exported hands I have saved to the import folder .....

No, you do not want to add these hands to one of your auto import folders. Auto import is used when playing to see the HUD. For bulk imports of old hands you use the Import From Folder option and point to the folder that contains all your old hands.

4entourage
01-26-2010, 12:51 AM
No, you do not want to add these hands to one of your auto import folders. Auto import is used when playing to see the HUD. For bulk imports of old hands you use the Import From Folder option and point to the folder that contains all your old hands.

Alright - and does this take up lots of space? (When I exported my hands, it was 20 gigs worth). And does "Import From Folder" do it quicker? AKA it wont take like a month to do?
Thanks for all the help its greeeeeatly appreciated.

fozzy71
01-26-2010, 01:23 AM
Alright - and does this take up lots of space? (When I exported my hands, it was 20 gigs worth). And does "Import From Folder" do it quicker? AKA it wont take like a month to do?
Thanks for all the help its greeeeeatly appreciated.

Yes the import from folder method is faster, but that many hands will take a long time, even if you had a high-performance PC. You should break up the bulk imports into 10 or 20 smaller groups of hands. Then you can import a group over night and perform DB maintenance the next day. Then you can play poker if you want/need to, and setup another bulk import before you go to bed.

Check out this thread about importing huge amounts of hands.

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/showthread.php?t=21793&highlight=import+speed

4entourage
01-26-2010, 01:28 AM
Great advice with the portions. Thanks so much for all the help getting me back on track. Your the best!

4entourage
01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
So my restore of the database file finished - and I understand how you said now add the folder with the exported hands and I will be able to then use the hand replayer.

What I dont get is without doing that...just restoring the database.... it shows my 324,000 players, when I look up my name it shows that it says 29,900 hands, but it gives NO stats, nothing about what Im up....nothing at all.....

I thought that restoring the DB would show this, and just not have the hand replayer functionability? If it doesn't even show my profits (or anyones for that matter) then whats the point of even restoring the database if I need to import the hands anyways?? Couldnt I just add the folder with the exported hands and totally skip the PGAdmin restore database option? I mean I guess I just dont understand what that even did....

fozzy71
01-26-2010, 11:30 PM
The restore should completely restore your DB the way it was when you backed it up. If you are missing the data you mention then the restore was not successful. Create a new DB and import your archived/original hands.

4entourage
01-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Im even now aaaafter restoring from the .backup file and waiting 18 hours for it to finish... tryin to import the hands I had exported to see if maybe then I can get my stats to be displayed, as well as stats and hand replays from others. As mentioned above... nothing is displayed for me or them. But when I search for me it shows "27,800 hands" but when I double click my name it just says Im up 0.00 and 0 hours of play etc etcetc. It does this for all players, even ones that show I have "247,000 hands" on.

Now I am trying to add the folder of exported hands to see if that will make the stats appear, and hands able to replay....but everything it has done thus far is "298,000 hands imported.... 298,000 duplicate" and when I run the hand count through PGAdmin it shows there is 18,xxx,xxx hands...... ??!??! = me stressin!!!

netsrak
01-27-2010, 04:54 AM
Where do you see 27.800 hands and where 0 hands. Please post some screenshots

In the reports: check the filter, datetime and player name settings and your alias too.

What Fozzy mentioned in the last post was not to restore a backup because this sometimes makes problems if not configured correctly. He suggested to create a new empty database and to reimport all files via import files or import from folder (in portions).

4entourage
01-27-2010, 07:38 PM
User screenshot:
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3635/1kardius.png

What happens when I load his name with his "111,000 hands"
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/167/wheniloadhisname.png

Does this for everyone, including my own name. Just zero's across the board.

And this is what my PGAdmin "Select Hand count" brings up
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2062/18millionhands.png

netsrak
01-28-2010, 04:05 AM
18 Million hands is the total number of hands in your database for all players.

The 111826 in the first picture is the total number of hands for Kardius including cash, sng and mtts,

In the 2nd screen you have selected to display only Omaha Hi hands, did you play Omaha Hi hands?

Btw: your HM version is very old, you should update to 1.10.01 from the link in my signature. We made some significant changes since 1.09 Beta 24

4entourage
01-28-2010, 06:57 AM
I have MAYBE ...at absolute MOST 1 million tourney hands of the almost 19 million. I have gone through approx. 25 names, without a single omaha hand being able to come up. Forget it.... Im just starting a new database and importing them all from the exported hands only without restoring DB since it obviously has flaws. Here goes about 30 days of waiting. Great.

FutureInsights
02-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Some of the info here is correct. But, you don't need to download the 8.3x provided by the site. You DO need to think about uninstalling the 8.4x installation with the current Combo download, and reinstall from Postgres site the 8.4x version, and set a password.

My tweak allows a database to be moved to another machine if necessary, and no data is lost.

I accidentally deleted net user postgres, to make an error message go away, and didn't realize that you couldn't easily recontruct the user.

Move details available at this post:

Friday, February 19, 2010
Holdem Manager Again- Destruction, Tweaks, and Improved Performance (http://propokerplayschallenge.blogspot.com/2010/02/holdem-manager-again-destruction-tweaks.html)