PDA

View Full Version : Lots of postgres system errors

RanGoot
03-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi there,

I'm having a ton of problems with my computer, slow boot up, spontaneous shutdowns and more. I notice in the event viewer there are loads of system errors relating to postgreSQL which leads me to suspect the computer problems are related to HEM/Postgres. Some of the errors are occurring when I'm not playing poker or importing hands

Ive defragged and vacuumed 2 days ago to try to fix the problem. Any suggestions please?

Typical error report as follows:-

Event Type: Error
Event Source: PostgreSQL
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 07/03/2011
Time: 20:22:23
User: N/A
Computer: FAMILY
Description:
2011-03-07 20:22:23 GMTERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint "uniqueserial"
2011-03-07 20:22:23 GMTSTATEMENT: EXECUTE PKHEXECUTE(28757726950,1,to_timestamp('03/05/2011 16:14:00','MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI:SS'),756,15,6,0,0,0,0,6,0,0,0,0,0,20,0,0,0 ,0,0,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,False,-1,0,0,0,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,0); select currval('pokerhands_pokerhand_id_seq')

Patvs
03-09-2011, 01:50 AM
Which SQL version are you using?

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate.exe

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for those files and for postgres.exe, even if the Firewall is turned off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent.

RanGoot
03-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Which SQL version are you using?

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate.exe

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for those files and for postgres.exe, even if the Firewall is turned off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent.

Hello Pat, thankyou for your reply.

I have Postgres 8.4
Windows XP
Spyware Doctor with anti virus

I was running the last beta of HEM but have updated today. Strangely enough my problems have been occurring since I updated to the last beta about 3 weeks ago.

I am still having the same problems as before, computer slow to boot up, running slow etc. I checked the event viewer and there are quite a number of application errors today relating to postgres even though I havent run HEM today.

Perhaps postgres is corrupted. Do you think I should delete/reinstall postgres or roll back to an old version of HEM?
What would I do about the data if I do delete postgres

All todays errors are like this

Event Type: Error
Event Source: PostgreSQL
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 09/03/2011
Time: 10:03:37
User: N/A
Computer: FAMILY
Description:
2011-03-09 10:03:37 GMTFATAL: the database system is starting up

Many thanks

netsrak
03-09-2011, 10:29 AM
The last error is no problem, its just a normal Postgresql startup message.

But sooner or later your postgresql gets damaged because of your other computer problems.
This is not caused by any HM update.

So in other words:
1. Fix your hardware/operating system problems
2. Reinstall Postgresql
3. If required reinstall Holdemmanager

As your database seems to be damaged it makes no sense to safe it.
After creating a new database you should reimport all your hands from the archive (default c:\hmarchive). If you notes and tourneys in your database you should export them befoere deleting postgresql.

RanGoot
03-09-2011, 01:39 PM
The last error is no problem, its just a normal Postgresql startup message.

But sooner or later your postgresql gets damaged because of your other computer problems.
This is not caused by any HM update.

So in other words:
1. Fix your hardware/operating system problems
2. Reinstall Postgresql
3. If required reinstall Holdemmanager

As your database seems to be damaged it makes no sense to safe it.
After creating a new database you should reimport all your hands from the archive (default c:\hmarchive). If you notes and tourneys in your database you should export them befoere deleting postgresql.

I'm not sure I have a hardware/operating system problem. My questions to you were to establish if you think my computer problems could be as a result of postgres being messed up

Many thanks

Patvs
03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Just to be save (and to rule out SQL is causing problems), reinstall PostgreSQL with an installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org) and create a NEW empty database.

(and reimport your hands by running a import from folder on your C:/HMArchive folder)