PDA

View Full Version : postgres installer problem!

upandcoming
12-26-2008, 06:30 PM
When I run postgres 8.3 and get to the installation wizard and then hit start i get this message: The installation package could not be opened, verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer program.

What do I need to do to fix this?

thanks

Al1
12-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi,

Can you try this postgreSQL: http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp/binary/v8.3.5/win32/postgresql-8.3.5-1.zip

upandcoming
12-27-2008, 11:12 AM
sorry to ask, I'm new at this stuff, but which one do I choose, Http or FTP for USA?

Al1
12-27-2008, 11:45 AM
sorry to ask, I'm new at this stuff, but which one do I choose, Http or FTP for USA?

It doesn't matter. It's allways the same file.

upandcoming
12-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Still not working! I get the same error message as before!

morny
12-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Are you extracting the file first?

upandcoming
12-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I am using windows XP. I downloaded the full version from the site yesterday, so it should be the latest version I'm guessing.

Next I open Holdem Manger and get to a screen Connect to PostgreSQL. I hit connect, and a message saying a connection to PostgreSQL could not be made. I guess I didnt have PostgreSQl installed so I hit the postgres install instructions. Get a window then I click the download postgres link. I saved the filed, then I opened file postgres 8.3, then double click the computer labeled postgres msi and hit run. Then I get to first screen where u select language. I hit start button, then I get message, the installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it. or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

Then I tried the other postgres download the other admin posted, tried the FTP download got to same language screen, hit start again but still same message as before.

morny
12-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Can you try this thread and see if the solutions there work: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236597

The files certainly arent damaged as ive checked them however it may be that your downloader isnt getting the whole file downloaded. I would recommend using another browser to download the file eg Firefox or Internet Explorer

upandcoming
12-28-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm a total newbie when it comes to computer stuff. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do on the microsoft site u provided. Do I use method 1 or method 2? Or do I click the link for Office Xp solutions, since I am using windows xp. Sorry I'm just totally lost. If u could help me step by step it would be greatly appreciated, I'm not good at this kinda stuff.

thanks.

morny
12-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Actually you might just not be extracting the file first, see this FAQ http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=108

upandcoming
12-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Ty, that was the problem it is working now.

I just had one more question, at the end of the install it asked if I wanted to install a stackbuilder program, I had no clue what it is, so I just hit cancel, Do I need to install that program?

thanks

morny
12-29-2008, 05:23 PM
No, you should have just unticked it and choose finish but thats fine

mikkerIDZ
10-31-2009, 08:46 PM
When I run postgres 8.3 and get to the installation wizard and then hit start i get this message: The installation package could not be opened, verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer program.

What do I need to do to fix this?

thanks

you need to run the program as an admin ! :)

fozzy71
10-31-2009, 09:48 PM
you need to run the program as an admin ! :)

This thread is almost a year old, but thanks for trying to help. ;)