PDA

View Full Version : Problem with PostgreSQL server

baza
08-26-2016, 05:18 PM
I'm using the HM2 since 2013, it worked fine with windows 7, but since I updated to windows 10 the problems started. I've tried every step of the following FAQ, so please don't come with a robotic answer asking me to do the FAQ again without even read everything I wrote. Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Can not Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1001/Can+not+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+)

What happens? From time to time (sometimes it happens within 3 hours of use, others in 8-9 hours), the HM2 stucks and don't work anymore. When relaunching it says the HM2 can't connect to the PostgreSQL database server. And this is the error I get.161260
In this screen I've tried the following, resetting the password and using another port but both didn't work. When I reboot my computer the HM2 works fine again until the next couple hours and then I go through this again and again.
I'm currently using Windows Defender and have already put the processes that have something to do with HM2 in the exclusions (eg pg_ctl.exe, postgres.exe, holdemmanager.exe and some more). I've already allowed the same processes in the firewall, and I've already unticked that Read only box from all these files and changed the permission settings of all these files. Tried to stop/start the postgreSQL service but it also didn't work. After all these tries, I decided to uninstall postgresql and HM2 and reinstall other versions of SQL (8.4, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4). All unsuccessful attempts.
But today I monitored the postgres.exe processes and it was running, hm2 working and while grinding the problem occurs again. I checked the task manager and there it is, one of the postgres.exe with a suspended status.161261
Pretty sure it has something to do with my problem, but have no clue what can be causing it or how to solve. As I haven't found any problem exactly the same as mine and I can't stand rebooting my computer 2-3 times per day/session I decided to post for help. Hope someone can help me with this without having to reinstall windows.

udbrky
08-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Uninstall PostgreSQL & try the following steps:

1) Run cmd.exe as Admin (Start > Search 'cmd' > Right-Click > Run As Admin)
2) in CMD window run (type the code then hit Enter key) following command:
net user postgres /del
3) Reboot PC
4) after reboot open cmd.exe again & run following commands:
net user postgres postgrespass /add
net localgroup Administrators postgres /add
net localgroup Users postgres /delete
runas /user:postgres cmd.exe

When it asks about password please input postgrespass & don`t worry if you don`t see any new symbols\inputs in cmd window. If you did all steps right then you should get new cmd window for postgres user.

5) Download PostgreSQL installer (http://get.enterprisedb.com/postgresql/postgresql-8.4.22-1-windows.exe) & move (copy/paste) it from the \Downloads folder to C:\
6) in new cmd window for postgres user run following commands:
cd c:\
start postgresql-8.4.22-1-windows.exe

baza
08-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Did exactly as you told but in ~1 hour of use postgres.exe was suspended and HM2 not working anymore

udbrky
08-27-2016, 07:34 PM
It stops in the middle of using HM2?

What are your antivirus and firewall?

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue and the following guide gives a step by step guide:
Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Can not Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1001/Can+not+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+)

baza
08-28-2016, 11:29 AM
It usually stops in the middle of use, but it don't have a pattern. Sometimes even without using the HM2, when I try to launch it that process was already with a suspended status and can't connect to postgresql.
I'm using windows defender and windows firewall. Already put the processes I found in another FAQ in the exceptions and allowed them through the firewall.
About the FAQ you've send, I've done this one at least 3 times and still getting the same problem.
And btw, yesterday after installing the sql 8.4 in ~1 hour it stopped working but after I reboot my computer it broke the record and worked for 10+ hours and stopped again just when I started playing today.

Jyster
08-29-2016, 06:53 AM
I had POSTgreSQL server issues this morning.....

I followed the above advice and it didn't work ......until i realised I was not running the CMD window as administrator.

My main problem was not being able to reinstall POSTgreSQL after uninstalling it as it kept saying that the windows service already existed.
So I googled how to delete a windows service and have now removed the service and it has allowed me to reinstall POSTgreSQL.

Fingers crossed as HM2 is now running again and syncing from the cloud.
I also submitted a new thread about this (yet to appear in the forums) but obviously not required as long as HM2 works fully after it has finished syncing.

udbrky
08-29-2016, 08:04 PM
It usually stops in the middle of use, but it don't have a pattern. Sometimes even without using the HM2, when I try to launch it that process was already with a suspended status and can't connect to postgresql.
I'm using windows defender and windows firewall. Already put the processes I found in another FAQ in the exceptions and allowed them through the firewall.
About the FAQ you've send, I've done this one at least 3 times and still getting the same problem.
And btw, yesterday after installing the sql 8.4 in ~1 hour it stopped working but after I reboot my computer it broke the record and worked for 10+ hours and stopped again just when I started playing today.

Did you delete the postmaster.pid file? Did you reset the winsock adapter?

baza
08-29-2016, 11:19 PM
Already did both things a lot of times.
Found a temporary solution, since windows don't let me terminate the postgres.exe process that is suspended, I found a software that allows me to kill the process. Then restarting the HM2 it works again for another couple hours. It is kinda weird because when I tried to manually stop/start the sql service it didn't work. It seems like that the service didn't even stop while killing this process. At least now I don't have to reboot my computer every time it happens.

udbrky
08-30-2016, 04:56 PM
I have escalated your issue to our 2nd level support techs and they will respond to your email as soon as possible.

Ishikawa
08-31-2016, 01:09 PM
Please run cmd.exe as admin and do following command:

net user postgres postgrespass

Then restart PC.

baza
09-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Did as you said Ishikawa, postgres.exe suspended after around 8 hours since the reboot.

Ishikawa
09-02-2016, 05:01 PM
but it booted ok? Did you have 2 processes in TaskManager: pg_ctl and postgres?

baza
09-02-2016, 05:24 PM
It booted ok. These two processes are currently here in the task manager.

Ishikawa
09-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Then we need log.txt from %appdata%\HoldemManager or at least let us know what is your AV software?

baza
09-02-2016, 09:13 PM
I'm currently using windows defender and have already pg_ctl and postgres processes in the exclusions along with holdemmanager and hudfuncsapp.
Should I just copy and paste what is in the log.txt here or should I upload the file somewhere?

udbrky
09-02-2016, 10:59 PM
If you continue to have problems, please reproduce the problem and zip/attach your HM2Logs folder with a detailed description of what you were doing and what problems you were experiencing - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How Do I Send a Log File to Holdem Manager Support? (http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1921/How+Do+I+Send+a+Log+File+to+Holdem+Manager+Support %3F)

washjunior
09-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Already did both things a lot of times.
Found a temporary solution, since windows don't let me terminate the postgres.exe process that is suspended, I found a software that allows me to kill the process. Then restarting the HM2 it works again for another couple hours. It is kinda weird because when I tried to manually stop/start the sql service it didn't work. It seems like that the service didn't even stop while killing this process. At least now I don't have to reboot my computer every time it happens.

Hi, I'm having this issue too. Could you, please, tell me which software you're using to terminate the suspended postgres.exe process?

Thanks!

baza
09-04-2016, 08:14 AM
It's called Process Hacker 2. But sometimes I have to kill not only the suspended one but all the postgres.exe processes to make HM2 work again.

bismark
09-04-2016, 08:47 AM
if this can help, i have the same problem, after 1 hour or less hm get slowly even after installing a good Samsung ssd, i have 3 GHz quad core processor with 4 giga ram.

Ishikawa
09-04-2016, 05:04 PM
You all using Win 10 right? If so then I`d suggest to reset PostgreSQL settings to default: you should stop or disable PostgreSQL service, reboot PC then go to C:\PostgreSQL\data and del postgresql.conf and rename the oldest postgresql.conf.*** file to postgresql.conf. After that run the service.

bismark
09-04-2016, 05:43 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/r0nxhe_th.png, i dont see postegresql.conf

bismark
09-04-2016, 06:04 PM
i dont have postgresql.conf in my data folder, i have 9.3 version.

udbrky
09-04-2016, 11:48 PM
I see that we resolved this with bismark via email.

It's the 3rd file up. Windows hides known extensions, the type will often be in the 2nd column - the "file CONF" in the screenshot above.

baza
09-06-2016, 10:37 AM
I have only one postgresql.conf file there, what should I do then?

udbrky
09-07-2016, 12:31 AM
I have only one postgresql.conf file there, what should I do then?

Follow post 20.

CRenan
09-15-2016, 01:14 PM
You all using Win 10 right? If so then I`d suggest to reset PostgreSQL settings to default: you should stop or disable PostgreSQL service, reboot PC then go to C:\PostgreSQL\data and del postgresql.conf and rename the oldest postgresql.conf.*** file to postgresql.conf. After that run the service.

hello I have the same problem if the solution was to rename the postgressql.conf to postgres.conf. here did not work, I have this problem a long time and I can not solve, already tried several ways to try to solve this problem and not solved.

When renaming the file to postgres.conf. postgres not start the service.

baza
09-15-2016, 02:54 PM
This solution didn't work for me as well. What in fact worked was going back to windows 7 with a clean install. I've been using the hm2 now without any problem since I did it.

CRenan
09-16-2016, 08:57 AM
Did you guys have a process with core.exe description or gbpsv.exe open the windows? I have cases that began contecer it after installing a G-Buster Defender of Warsaw Technology component.

Ishikawa
09-16-2016, 07:19 PM
hello I have the same problem if the solution was to rename the postgressql.conf to postgres.conf. here did not work, I have this problem a long time and I can not solve, already tried several ways to try to solve this problem and not solved.

When renaming the file to postgres.conf. postgres not start the service.
I say nothing about postgres.conf. You set incorrect name for correct file that`s why service stop working. It just can`t find postgresql.conf and stops.

Ishikawa
09-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Did you guys have a process with core.exe description or gbpsv.exe open the windows? I have cases that began contecer it after installing a G-Buster Defender of Warsaw Technology component.
Seems like you catch a malware. We are not virus guru here. So I`d suggest to ask about this software on other forums.

CRenan
09-17-2016, 07:40 AM
Seems like you catch a malware. We are not virus guru here. So I`d suggest to ask about this software on other forums.

I know what this core.exe process is a security application to access bank accounts from my bank. I asked about it out of curiosity, because I can not find solution to this problem postgres and windows 10 anywhere!

I asked if any of you had this process not asked if you guys know what this process meant for that I already know.

bluffguff
09-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Hi My Postgres won't start since my last windows update. I've been trying for the past 10 hours to try and sort the issue as desperate to have it resolved in time to play a Sunday session tomorrow. I have disabled my firewall and windows defender. I have UAC turned off. I have tried the steps in this thread without any success. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

udbrky
09-17-2016, 06:55 PM
I know what this core.exe process is a security application to access bank accounts from my bank. I asked about it out of curiosity, because I can not find solution to this problem postgres and windows 10 anywhere!

I asked if any of you had this process not asked if you guys know what this process meant for that I already know.

I don't understand what you mean. This is specific software for your bank? It's not us. We cannot know every piece of software in existence and what processes run for it. Are you asking about the bank sofware process or something else?

udbrky
09-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Hi My Postgres won't start since my last windows update. I've been trying for the past 10 hours to try and sort the issue as desperate to have it resolved in time to play a Sunday session tomorrow. I have disabled my firewall and windows defender. I have UAC turned off. I have tried the steps in this thread without any success. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did you reset the winsock adapter?

Please see this FAQ to fix Windows problems - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How to repair Windows files (http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/3253/How+to+repair+Windows+files)

Did you roll back the Windows update? Were you fully up to date on the updates before then?

bluffguff
09-17-2016, 07:42 PM
Did you reset the winsock adapter?

Please see this FAQ to fix Windows problems - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How to repair Windows files (http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/3253/How+to+repair+Windows+files)

Did you roll back the Windows update? Were you fully up to date on the updates before then?

Thanks for your quick reponse! :)

I have reset the winsock adapter.

Unfortunately I don't think I can roll back the windows update as don't seem to have a restore point. I think I was fully update before.

As things currently stand I've deleted postgres and am now having problems reinstalling as I get a message that reads "The installation paclage could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows Installer package."

Is there anyway I can pay for an hours of remote support in the next 14hours? There didn't seem to be any available slots before Monday, but desperate to play sunday.

bluffguff
09-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Hi, Thanks for the quick reply!

I have tried resetting the winsock adapter.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to roll back as I don't have any restore points :-/

As things currently stand I have deleted Postgres and am now having problems re-installing. "The installation package could not be opened"

fozzy71
09-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Thanks for your quick reponse! :)

I have reset the winsock adapter.

Unfortunately I don't think I can roll back the windows update as don't seem to have a restore point. I think I was fully update before.

As things currently stand I've deleted postgres and am now having problems reinstalling as I get a message that reads "The installation paclage could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows Installer package."

Is there anyway I can pay for an hours of remote support in the next 14hours? There didn't seem to be any available slots before Monday, but desperate to play sunday.

Our remote support techs have limited availability on the weekends and sessions are usually booked days in advance.

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply!

I have tried resetting the winsock adapter.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to roll back as I don't have any restore points :-/

As things currently stand I have deleted Postgres and am now having problems re-installing. "The installation package could not be opened"

Which Operating System are you using?

Assuming it is windows 10 try this:

Uninstall PostgreSQL & try the following steps:

1) Run cmd.exe as Admin (Start > Search 'cmd' > Right-Click > Run As Admin)
2) in CMD window run (type the code then hit Enter key) following command:
net user postgres /del
3) Reboot PC
4) after reboot open cmd.exe again & run following commands:
net user postgres postgrespass /add
net localgroup Administrators postgres /add
net localgroup Users postgres /delete
runas /user:postgres cmd.exe

When it asks about password please input postgrespass & don`t worry if you don`t see any new symbols\inputs in cmd window. If you did all steps right then you should get new cmd window for postgres user.

5) Download PostgreSQL installer (http://get.enterprisedb.com/postgresql/postgresql-8.4.22-1-windows.exe) & move (copy/paste) it from the \Downloads folder to C:\
6) in new cmd window for postgres user run following commands:
cd c:\
start postgresql-8.4.22-1-windows.exe

CRenan
09-19-2016, 07:14 AM
I don't understand what you mean. This is specific software for your bank? It's not us. We cannot know every piece of software in existence and what processes run for it. Are you asking about the bank sofware process or something else?

Forget core.exe process, so was wondering if anyone had it installed. My problem is the process suspended in postgres win 10, the same initial problem forum, I could not solve.

udbrky
09-19-2016, 05:14 PM
Please create a support ticket via the 'Contact Support' link here - https://support.holdemmanager.com/ - and if there is a forum thread with additional information please link to this thread and let us know your forum name if there are several people in the thread.

Please let us know when you are available in GMT time for a TeamViewer Remote Support session - GMT: Greenwich Mean Time - World Time / Time in every Time Zone (http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/).

If there is a forum thread with additional information please link to this thread and let us know your forum name if there are several people in the thread.

Please remember that we schedule a couple days in advance and need to fit it into our schedules so you need to give us a few different day and time ranges to choose from.

Download the Teamviewer Quick Support Module - http://www.holdemmanager.com/teamviewer

Please read this important information before our teamviewer session. We cannot do the teamviewer session until all those issues are addressed below first:
1 - Make sure you have updated your windows using the "Windows Update" feature Microsoft Windows Update (http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5)
* - Make sure windows is fully updated until 'No New Important Updates are Found' (this may require multiple restarts and multiple 'check for updates'), including Internet Explorer (even if you use a different web browser) and change your Windows Control Panel > Regional Settings Format to English (USA).
2 - Make sure Holdem Manager is updated to the latest version Downloads and Manuals - Hold'Em Manager, Omaha Manager & HM Apps (http://www.holdemmanager.com/store/downloads-manuals.php)
3 - Please make sure you have access to a good connection, we cannot provide support on really slow connections.
4 - Please allow us full access otherwise it slows down the speed at which we can fix the issue.

Letrix
09-21-2016, 05:38 PM
BTW, I used windows 10 64bit with HM2 without problems about a week (not playing more then 2 hours per session though).
But today I pressed "Tune" button in the maintenance tab of database manager and after that "Optimize" (Full) button which I did hundreds of times on win XP.
Then I reboot the system and picture from the first post of this thread appears when I tried to run HM2.
This advise:

solved the problem.

udbrky
09-21-2016, 06:02 PM
Yes, that would change the conf file. If you have a newer Postgres and higher spec machine, it can cause issues to tune.

Sharukh10
09-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Randomly today i couldn't' connect to postgresql

https://gyazo.com/9fc3e1b8210099aa78d008b77154502d
https://gyazo.com/2a47582e3bc6e55695323a169532a72b
https://gyazo.com/0ea0170d68784f70085352829d3b0f0c

Fixed this by reinstalling.

udbrky
09-22-2016, 07:14 PM
If anyone gets this:

Open CMD as administrator.

Type:

net user postgres postgrespass

Restart your computer.

CRenan
09-23-2016, 12:28 PM

the suggestion of taking the old postgresql.conf not work for me, if I do not have edited the postgresql.conf. I have also reinstalled the postmaster and also installed other versions in separate folders and the problem continued.

udbrky
09-23-2016, 06:07 PM
the suggestion of taking the old postgresql.conf not work for me, if I do not have edited the postgresql.conf. I have also reinstalled the postmaster and also installed other versions in separate folders and the problem continued.

Please follow this post - http://forums.holdemmanager.com/general-support/534792-problem-postgresql-server.html#post2480289

Ishikawa
09-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Please follow this post - http://forums.holdemmanager.com/general-support/534792-problem-postgresql-server.html#post2480289
yep. And one more: do u have any startup issue with HM? May be it starts too long? Can you make video with HM startup process?