PDA

View Full Version : constant disk queues

Michaelooch
03-08-2011, 12:02 PM
I installed 1.11.06b this morning and since then I have noticed that my harddrive is constantly grinding away.

With HU tables open but no hands played at the tables and no hud on screen

when I shut down HEM it stops
when I restart HEM without activating auto import its fine
when I start auto import the the disk queues start
when I stop auto import the disk ques DO NOT stop unless I manually kill HMHUD.exe in Task manager

Michaelooch
03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
so i rolled back to 1.11.06a....same issue

I had the hmhud.exe issue with norton earlier today ( where Norton deleted it) too so i tried disabling Antivirus Autoprotect and sure enuff it stopped...turned it on and it started again

so why dont these 2 play nice and is there a folder or exception that I can add to make this go away?

Veteran68
03-08-2011, 04:27 PM
HEM is continuously looking for HHs in your import folders, and the underlying PostgreSQL database engine is no doubt regularly hitting the drive as part of its database operation and upkeep. So pretty constant drive activity is to be expected.

As to Norton, you need to create an exception for the entire HEM folder, else you'll be running into this problem on a regular basis. All AV software provides a mechanism to add exceptions to a list that should never be scanned or reported. Go to your Norton settings and you should seen an Exceptions area. The first two options there (don't recall the exact wording) should have the HEM folder (and all subfolders) added.

Patvs
03-09-2011, 01:38 AM
For Norton Firewall.... or for Norton SONAR.... make sure hmhud.exe, holdemmanager.exe is on the exceptions list.

Also read:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

Patvs
03-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Update for Norton SONAR, read: SONAR Protection quarantines files that are already excluded from future scans in my Norton 2010 product | Norton Support (http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090903182949EN)

Michaelooch
03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
thx...i added the rvg folder to the do not scan list....and that still didnt work until i added hmhud.exe to the program rules under firewall

btw SONAR auto deleted hmhud.exe during my sess....fml

all good now thx for ur help

Veteran68
03-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Update for Norton SONAR, read: SONAR Protection quarantines files that are already excluded from future scans in my Norton 2010 product | Norton Support (http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090903182949EN)
I posted this in another thread, but if you're still running 2010 with an active subscription you should update to 2011 rather than trying to patch an old version. The update is free, just be sure to run the uninstaller for 2010 first to free up your activation. Then install the 2011 trial version and enter your 2010 key to activate it.

thx...i added the rvg folder to the do not scan list....and that still didnt work until i added hmhud.exe to the program rules under firewall

btw SONAR auto deleted hmhud.exe during my sess....fml

all good now thx for ur help

Yes, NIS can be aggressive, which is generally a good thing, but can also be annoying until you get it trained properly. NIS Firewall exceptions have to be done at the application level. But the SONAR and Scan exclusions can be entered at the directory level so you don't have to exclude individual files.

Michaelooch
03-09-2011, 07:20 PM
i couldnt find any exception ability for SONAR

Patvs
03-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Try adding the exceptions to Norton Firewall.

Veteran68
03-09-2011, 09:01 PM
i couldnt find any exception ability for SONAR
This is from NIS 2011. 2010 should be nearly identical as I recall. If you just have the base Norton AV product (and not the Internet Security suite) then I'm not sure where it is but I would think it's similar. You would click the "Configure [+]" links for the those first two options and add the HEM exclusions there.

http://morrisonline.us/pics/nis2011_exclusions.png

Michaelooch
03-09-2011, 10:11 PM
my Norton Security Suite is provided by my ISP and looks a bit different.

While I can configure exclusions for scans there is no configure for SONAR.

Adding a program rule in the Firewall section seemed to do the trick.

iliveinabox
03-10-2011, 10:19 PM
I have had this problem as well and turning off my norton does not work. Ive disabled all the insight protection, fire wall, etc. Only when i completely close HEM does it stop. I also added exclusions for hem and hem.hud. Nothing works. I have decided it is something to do with Hem and not my norton. I never had any problems with previous hem versions. Please help its been a couple days now and its driving me nuts

Michaelooch
03-10-2011, 11:22 PM
try disabling SONAR

iliveinabox
03-12-2011, 04:34 PM
disablign sonar does nothing. Disabling everything in norton does nothing. Only closing out hem works. Reverting back to 11.11.05e stopped the problem.

Veteran68
03-12-2011, 08:25 PM
disablign sonar does nothing. Disabling everything in norton does nothing. Only closing out hem works. Reverting back to 11.11.05e stopped the problem.

Wait, what is the problem? Disabling SONAR and certainly Norton will stop scanning the files for malware and deleting HEM files, which is why we were talking about Norton.

If you're just talking about the constant drive access, we already discussed that. It's normal.

iliveinabox
03-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Its normal for this update? All thr other updates have never made my computer go As crazy as this one. This isnt my first time with hem. I have been usint it for awhile and it has never acted this way.

netsrak
03-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Might be another problem.

please attach your holdemmanager.config file from c:\program files(x86)\rvg software\holdem manager\config folder (or something similar depending on your installation). it may be just called holdemmanager if you've extensions turned off.

Michaelooch
03-16-2011, 10:18 AM
it seems I am now having the same issue as iliveinabox.

I am experiencing endless grinding on the HD when auto import is enabled. I have tried diabling SONAR and all of norton for that matter but to no avail. It only stops when I kill hmimport and hmhud in task manager.

netsrak
03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Please see my post above and attach your holdemmanager.config file