PDA

View Full Version : getting robust hud to fit on tables -- screenshots? ideas?

rowhousepd
09-24-2015, 08:12 PM
Can someone post a screenshot of how you'd get a hud that has 20-ish stats and 15+ NC badges to actually fit over a poker table without covering key things like stack sizes, dealer buttons, player names, etc., and that doesn't have unreadable microscopic font?

I've been battling this for a long while, but since I've just gone from using only a few key stats to trying out a more robust hud w/ plenty of badge slots, this is becoming somewhat impossible to do. I'm sure it doesn't help that I play full ring and that I'm trying keep it from overlapping the window edge since I generally tile my tables.

I dunno, do the US-friendly sites I (have to) play all that different than the other popular ones like Stars & 888 layout-wise, or is this just kind of always a problem of everyone? Arrg ... and thank!

_Loki_
09-24-2015, 09:06 PM
You don't mention the rooms specifically, but I suppose you mean Americas Cardroom & Bovada maybe?

[1] Table Modification

There are some amazing table mods out there that condense the table elements & rearranges them
Removing the garbage such as the avatars

Here's an oval table of players radically modded into two neat columns freeing up a lot of space
It's for PokerStars only but it will give you the idea: https://frosty012mods.com/

Fonts type:
I'm not sure if HM2 uses its own fonts or it takes them from Windows. But I find there's a huge difference in readability across the range of fonts. At small font size the choice of font is very important.

The one I'm happiest with is this:
Font: "DejaVu Sans"
Font style: "Condensed Bold" ["Condensed" squeezes the font to less width]
Size: 5, 7 & 8 [If the size doesn't exist in the dropdown just type it in]

Size 5 [or even 4] is fine for "name". I have it set to show only the first 4 letters of the villain name - I only need to look close to read the name now & then to make sure the HUDs are correctly assigned
[& of course I don't display my own name nor most of my stats]
This might not suit you if the site you use makes HM2 lag the change of HUD when players change, but for me on PS that isn't a problem

[3] Font Colour:
If you colour code your stats avoid certain colours which don't respond well to readability FOR YOUR EYES at small font sizes
Red is the worst colour for me so I don't use pure red at all - a pink or violet is a lot crisper for my eyes

rowhousepd
09-24-2015, 09:26 PM
You don't mention the rooms specifically, but I suppose you mean Americas Cardroom & Bovada maybe?
Actually, since Bovada doesn't really allow huds bc of their anonymous player policy, I mainly play Americas Cardroom (Winning) and Carbon (Merge). I find the software at Tiger (Chico) so utterly abysmal that I can't stand playing there.

Here's an oval table of players radically modded into two neat columns freeing up a lot of space
It's for PokerStars only but it will give you the idea: https://frosty012mods.com/
Oh. My. God. This is brilliant! Do you know if anything even remotely like this is available for Winning or Merge? I would snap buy it. Wow, I sure do miss PokerStars. :-/ I remember their software being very flexible and mod-friendly back in the day when we could actually play there.

The one I'm happiest with is this:
Font: "DejaVu Sans"
Font style: "Condensed Bold" ["Condensed" squeezes the font to less width]
Size: 5, 7 & 8 [If the size doesn't exist in the dropdown just type it in]
Cool. I'll look into this one. I played around with a lot when I first built my hud, and since it's a windows machine, I've got all the many many windows fonts available, for better or worse. I wound up using Tahoma for most stats. It's fine, but there may be others that work well.

[3] Font Colour:
If you colour code your stats avoid certain colours which don't respond well to readability FOR YOUR EYES at small font sizes
Red is the worst colour for me so I don't use pure red at all - a pink or violet is a lot crisper for my eyes
Yup. I've noticed that exact same thing. :)

Thanks for you input, Loki!

_Loki_
09-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Please note: If you use a TN-style hot key program they will not work with radical table mods

...I mainly play Americas Cardroom (Winning) and Carbon (Merge). I find the software at Tiger (Chico) so utterly abysmal that I can't stand playing there [...] Frosty012 Mods: This is brilliant! Do you know if anything even remotely like this is available for Winning or Merge?

I haven't a clue. Nothing interestingly radical comes up in Google search except basic theme changes such as changing colours - no relocation of the elements. But I didn't search for long.

I think Fozzy71 would know a lot more - no doubt he'll see this thread at some point

You could contact Frosty via his site & ask if he can help or if he can put you in touch with whoever did his mods

You could look around the software section of 2+2 forums & post a question over there. The section that might be the place to ask is here [I could easily be wrong!]: Gambling and Poker Software Forum (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/45/software/)

Or more specifically here: ** Quick Questions & Answers Thread ** LC / OT (aka: "Ask _dave_") - Page 66 - Gambling and Poker Software Forum (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/45/software/quick-questions-answers-thread-lc-ot-aka-ask-_dave_-130539/index66.html)

_Loki_
09-24-2015, 10:09 PM
My follow up reply post has gone to moderation. Maybe because of the two links [nothing that interesting before you get your hopes up!] in it. I'll check later to see if it has been approved.

fozzy71
09-25-2015, 03:46 PM
There are threads for merge/wpn mods in the 2+2 software forum and also the 2+2 > internet poker > wpn forum.

This is how I did my HUD when I first installed the NCE PLO pack but I honestly don't use badges so edited the HUD to remove all the badges and duplicated it with a different name instead.

http://i.imgur.com/CnOMIux.png

rowhousepd
09-25-2015, 07:45 PM
I haven't a clue. Nothing interestingly radical comes up in Google search except basic theme changes such as changing colours - no relocation of the elements. But I didn't search for long.

Yeah, I just did some googling and found one or two sites that have mods, but it seems it just basically changes the background, felt, and deck colors, which doesn't really help with the space issue. But thanks for looking. I'll check out those threads too.

There are threads for merge/wpn mods in the 2+2 software forum and also the 2+2 > internet poker > wpn forum.

This is how I did my HUD when I first installed the NCE PLO pack but I honestly don't use badges so edited the HUD to remove all the badges and duplicated it with a different name instead.

Thanks Fozz. Btw, do you know of any mods that do more than just change colors? Both WPN & Merge have an option for a fairly basic, almost entirely black/gray theme ... which is nice and works fine for me visually, but the table arrangement, buttons, etc., are still locked in.

About your HUD, curious what font you use. Those seem fairly compact -- I assume they're fairly readable too, no? Also are you playing with the default table sizes? Thanks!

fozzy71
09-26-2015, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I just did some googling and found one or two sites that have mods, but it seems it just basically changes the background, felt, and deck colors, which doesn't really help with the space issue. But thanks for looking. I'll check out those threads too.

Thanks Fozz. Btw, do you know of any mods that do more than just change colors? Both WPN & Merge have an option for a fairly basic, almost entirely black/gray theme ... which is nice and works fine for me visually, but the table arrangement, buttons, etc., are still locked in.

I quit following all the graphics mods threads since I haven't done any significant modding since taking this job 6 years ago but I don't think it's possible due to limitations in the clients.

About your HUD, curious what font you use. Those seem fairly compact -- I assume they're fairly readable too, no? Also are you playing with the default table sizes? Thanks!

That table I screen printed is 3 'clicks' down from default when resizing. I have dual 27" 2560x1440 monitors so this allows me to fit 2 tables on top of each other next to my browser (which I size to full height using ~720 of the horizontal pixels) on one of my monitors. 2 tables of PLO while working email/forums is easy to follow so I can get hands in my hm2/cloud databases while working on other things.

The HUD is the NoteCaddy Edge PLO defaults: Arial, Regular size 8 with scale font disabled. I don't bother tweaking my HUDs much anymore like I used to since micro PLO is mostly about nut peddling so I just want some basic stats and color ranges to know who is a maniac/bluffer and who else is nut peddling.

rowhousepd
09-29-2015, 02:35 AM
Thanks, Fozz. I'll play around with this a little. My two 27" monitors are pretty standard 1920x1080 px, so I'm not sure if I can get my set up to look like yours. Cheers.