PDA

View Full Version : Reformating Computer Question

Drew1
03-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Hey all. I bought a new computer last year and i basically did not transport the database i had from my old computer because it was too complicated and felt like it was too much work. Well the thing is my desktop computer has been very slow ever since i got it last year. I wished i had formatted it earlier but didn't. It's a dell.

The HEM i have on my new computer has been installed since May 2010. I checked it now and see i have around 1.5 million hands but all of those hands were from sng playing pretty much. The thing is i just HAVE to format my computer because it is extremely slow in general. It takes so long for firefox to come up and freezes so much and much much more other problems.

Its an I5-750m processor with 4gb ram and 7200 rpm so it should be fast. My neighbor bought his desktop from dell as well but it was a quad core processor and bought it 1 year earlier than me and his computer is blazingly fast. Even he wonders why is my computer is slow. He doesn't play poker though but his computer is really fast.

My old computer was a pentium 5 processor so very slow but my i5-750 computer is just really frustrating and slow.

My questions are

1. If i do try to import the entire database i have right now to HEM when i download it again on my reformatted desktop, how long would it take? How long would it take for me to import all the files here first? I talk to someone online and he said the saving the hands would take 3-4 hours. But once my computer is formatted, the importing would take about 12 hours. Is this true and accurate? The thing is when he did this, many of his files got corrupted and it didn't went through. Not sure what happened later. And if i do this, is it going to make my computer slower? Because when i start HEM fresh, it always goes really fast until i have thousands of hands.

2. Is it worth importing the files and doing the whole thing? I got HEM back in July 2009 and used it in my old desktop for about 10 months before i got my new desktop in May 2010 and then just started HEM from new there with no hands on the new computer. At first i was unhappy because i wished i had all the hands but then i thought, hey if i'm going to play anyways, i'm going to get many hands on the players i face right? And after say a few weeks, i got many hands on players and felt it was not so bad after all. The thing about me is i only play sngs and unlike most people who use HEM, i do NOT use any of the watch hand replayers or study the stats really deep. All i pretty much use HEM for is the HUD with the stats and the checking how much i'm up daily and check EV. I also check my own stats but that is pretty much it. I don't look at hands i played.

Should i just make it easy on myself and just start HEM from fresh when i format my desktop since i'm going to get tons of hands anyway? I will definitely transfer the STARS notes i have though and that is very important because i use it to quickly identify the regulars and some specific actions on some players. I know that has nothing to do with the HEM but a note helps a lot.

3. Do the majority of players who format their computer or get a new computer transfer their database or is it just not a big deal? I would assume those people who play cash games and multitables a ton sees this as a necessity right whereas sng players not the same because we are essentially playing autopilot many times?

4. I heard its best to get a SSD Drive. My question is if i format my computer and then play and get many hands and then install the SSD Drive, would that be okay? Or would it be best to format computer and then buy the ssd drive and install it and then start playing. Is there a big difference? And how much gb would you guys recommend? I heard 120gb should be the minimum? My hard drive on my desktop is 500gb if that matters.

Drew1
03-07-2011, 10:41 PM
anyone can answer my questions?

Patvs
03-07-2011, 11:47 PM
1. Reimport of 1.5 million hands can take 3-12 hours depending on the speed of the harddisk.
A lot faster (1-3 hours) would be to backup the old database and then restore it in pgadminIII, read: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database

Note: the SQL version the backup was created in must be the same, as installed on the computer you're restoring to.

Once you've imported x million hands, will not make the computer slower, but the more hands you have, the slower HoldemManager will run. But you'll only notice that when you run reports, or "show ALL hands".

2. Since it's a new computer, ideally you create a new empty database, and reimport the original handhistories (from your old C:/HMArchive) and just let it import the hands for 12 hours. (since you can install a never version like SQL 9.0.3 on the new computer)

Note: when you do this do, export your Stars NOTES from the old computer, before you format the harddisk. You can also opt to email PokerStars and request EVERY hand you've ever played. So you don't have to worry about any missing hands.

3. All players, just reimport all their old handhistories into a new database on a new computer. If they have a MASSIVE 5+ million database, the smarter players restore a .backup of their old database.

4. If you get a SSD. And install PostgreSQL to the SSD, again you have three options: reimport all the hands, restore a .backup, just MOVE the folder to the SSD and edit the registry. Read: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition

1 million hands take up about 10 GB of diskspace.
So for most users a 80 GB SSD should be more than enough for the database + Windows.