PDA

View Full Version : Installing HEM on a Tablet's Micro SD card

Moonpig
01-01-2015, 09:16 AM
Hi

I have a windows 8 tablet which only has 32GB of storage which can be expanded with a 64GB micro SD.

Would there be any performance difference between these options? I am looking to buy this Micro SD

SanDisk Extreme 64GB Micro SD SDXC UHS-I card with Adapter - SDSDQXL-064G-G46A | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SanDisk-Extreme-64GB-Micro-SD-SDXC-UHS-I-card-with-Adapter-SDSDQXL-064G-G46A-/191466054589?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessor ies_MemoryCards&hash=item2c944423bd)

1) Can i install HEM 1 and the PostgreSQL database on the micro SD?

2) Or would it be better to install HEM on the C: Drive and and the PostgreSQL database on the micro SD?

3) Or do i need to install both on the C: Drive?

Thanks

fozzy71
01-01-2015, 11:59 AM
HM1/2 installation folders/files don't take a significant amount of space. Most of the space is taken by the postgresql database.

I have a Dell Venue Pro 8 that is 64gb and has a 64gb expansion card. I installed HM2 like normal. For postgresql I downloaded an installer from postgresql.org as they give you installation path options for the program and the data folder. I installed the program to the C drive and put the \Data folder on my expansion card and set the HM2 parent database folder to the expansion card also (HM1 databases do not have this parent database folder). Then I also (and you should too if you install a postgresql version from postgresql.org) disabled the postgresql logging as they can become large and waste a lot of space - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/85/Large+Log+Files

fozzy71
01-01-2015, 12:00 PM
off topic: I love my win 8 tablet way more than my ipad I had. I can access my windows files on my NAS drive which is really nice for watching media/tv from the network drive so I can leave my desktop shut down at night and watch tv on my tablet in bed.

Moonpig
01-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Can i install HEM 1 and database on the Micro SD card?

Thanks

fozzy71
01-02-2015, 02:33 PM
I would not recommend installing the HM1 program or PostgreSQL program on the card, just the database (i.e. the \postgresql\data folder) only.

Moonpig
01-08-2015, 08:45 AM
I would not recommend installing the HM1 program or PostgreSQL program on the card, just the database (i.e. the \postgresql\data folder) only.

So i just install the first time HEM1 installer, and then when HEM opens how do i set the database to the micro sd card?

Thanks

fozzy71
01-08-2015, 09:03 AM
You need to install postgresql with an installer from postgresql.org that gives you an option to pick a different directory/drive for your \data folder. Our HM1 combo installer will install PSQL to the C drive I believe and doesn't give you an option to pick a different path.

Make sure windows is fully updated until 'No New Important Updates are Found' (this may require multiple restarts and multiple 'check for updates'), including Internet Explorer (even if you use a different web browser).

If you already installed postgresql to your C drive follow all the steps below. If you haven't installed PSQL yet start at Step 6.

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.

2) Delete the \PostgreSQL\8.x\data folder that is left behind.

3) Delete the sub-folder(s) in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\HoldemManager\Da tabase (XP - c:\documents and settings\username\application data\HoldemManager\Database).

4) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

net user postgres /delete

5) Restart your PC

6) Install PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.2 from postgresql.org and install PSQL to the default folder on the C drive but when prompted where you want to install the data directory pick a new folder on your SD card.

7) Once installed you should disable the postgresql logging as instructed here - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1121/Large+Log+Files

Now you can install HM1 if you haven't and I would suggest installing it to the C drive as it doesn't take much space but in theory you can install it to the D drive if you want.

Moonpig
01-08-2015, 10:10 AM
found it

Moonpig
01-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Hi

It would not let me uninstall postgres so i installed revo uninstaller and remove all registry files for HEM and Postgres. Which worked.

However now when i try and install postgres 9.018 it says please enter password for the database superuser and service account. If the service account already exists in windows, you must enter the current password for the account. If the account does not exist, it will be created when you click next.

when i makeup a password i get this message. "the passwords specified was incorrect password for the postgres windows user account"

Does that mean i have no deleted Postgres properly?

fozzy71
01-08-2015, 02:12 PM
U have to run step 4 above to delete the postgres user before you can reinstall it.

Moonpig
01-09-2015, 05:35 PM
thanks for all your help, fingers crossed it all seems to be working.

off topic i am using a winbook tw801 8 inch windows tablet, I choose this over the dell venue 8 pro because it had a full size usb 3 port + mini usb port & mini hdmi.

fozzy71
01-10-2015, 08:44 AM
That looks like a nice tablet for the price. I didn't really shop them much when I bought mine on a whim. A USB would be nice but I don't really do much work on mine, I mostly use it for browsing, social media, and watching TV shows stored on my NAS drive while laying in bed.