PDA

View Full Version : postgres database on 2 different drives

johnee
03-05-2011, 05:10 PM
I have 2 HEM databases, my database for 2010, and my databse for 2011, the 2010 database is on my external drive and the 2011 is on my actual pc hdd.

I want to be able to switch between those 2 in HEM what is the best way to do it?

Patvs
03-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Either:
A- Create a 2011 database on your external harddisk (and reimport the 2011 hands).

Or... if you want to use both harddisks.
B- Make sure internal harddisk is using SQL 8.4.... and external harddisk is using a different SQL version on a different port. (for example 9.0 on port 5433)

With A: options--> database management--> connect--> you can switch between the two databases

With B: options--> database management--> change the PORT-> connect--> you can switch between the two databases

johnee
07-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Okay what I did is install the postgres 9.0 on the external hard disk, and replaced the data map with my old saved data map.

The problem now is when I try to login with the new port and pass it says "a connection to PostgresSQL cant be made"

When i login to my current 2011 databse (with the 5432 port) it still works.
But I really want to be able to look up my old database.

I just cant get it to work.

Patvs
07-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Isn't your old database a 8.4 database?
8.4 is not compatible with 9.0.

If there is a corruption in the old database, it will be impossible to connect to it.
Do one last attempt, installing SQL 8.4 to the external drive on a new port, and choose your old /data folder.

If that fails, reimport the handhistories into a NEW database.

johnee
07-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Isn't your old database a 8.4 database?
8.4 is not compatible with 9.0.

If there is a corruption in the old database, it will be impossible to connect to it.
Do one last attempt, installing SQL 8.4 to the external drive on a new port, and choose your old /data folder.

If that fails, reimport the handhistories into a NEW database.

Nice reply, gonna do this right away.

johnee
07-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately it didn't work.

I find it so odd, I always used WinXP and just changed path of the data map in register and it worked.
Now with Win7 nothing I try works to use my old database.