PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing PostgreSQL...

Gunpowder
12-19-2008, 06:30 PM
I've been trying to install postgresql for use with Hold'em Manager for awhile using the instructions found here (http://www.holdemmanager.net/PostgreSQL_Install_Help.html) and keep running into problems. The latest:

I download the zipped postgre file, then unzip onto my desktop, at which point I open up 'PostgreSQL-8.3' and begin to install said program. I click all the 'Next' and self-explanatory stuff. After all that I get to the 'Initilialize database cluster part' and this is what the screen looks like:

PostgreSQL
Initialize database cluster

Port number : 5432
Addresses :
Locale : English, United States
Encoding (Server) : WIN1252 (Client) : WIN1252
Superusername : postgres
Password : postgrespass
Password (again) : postgrespass

I understand that under the instructions the Encoding (Server) should read SQL_ASCII, but WIN1252 is the default that opens onto the screen. So I click Next, and it begins to install. And then I get this error message:

'Failed to run initdb: 1!
Please see the logfile in 'C:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\tmp\initdb.log.'
Note! you must read/copy this logfile before you click OK,
or it will automatically be removed.

So I click my way all the way to the logfile, and read this:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

So now I'm pretty confused. As far as the problem with the Client and Server entries, I've tried all sorts of combinations invovling SQL_ASCII and WIN1252 and nothing seems to work. It might be of use that I am using the Windows program after Boot Camp-ing it onto a macintosh.

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this? Thank you for whatever information you can provide...

morny
12-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Someone else had this problem today so try the solutions we done on that thread http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5184&highlight=Failed+run+initdb%3A