PDA

View Full Version : Holdem Manager Error after Laptop ran out of Battery

UBOXER
12-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Hi,

My laptop shut down while I was in the midst of importing hands. When I restarted Vista and HM, I was told "HM has found some poker sites.....and created a backup folder......." next I was brought to the database Control Panel and I got stuck there because it says "a connection to postgresql could not be made"

I let HM start the service but it goes back to the same DB control panel screen and again postgresql could not be started.

I already have postgresql 8.3 installed. I'm using Vista and my user control is turned off.

Please advise.

Al1
12-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Can you try that: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=34

UBOXER
12-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Hi,

Still the same problem. After I reinstalled postgresql, I went into control panel and postgresql had disappeared from the list of services. So I went into the postgresql folder and click "start database". However, postgresql is still not showing up under administrative tools/services. And of course, HM is not starting.

morny
12-20-2008, 12:59 PM
When you try to start the service in that FAQ what error do you get?

UBOXER
12-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi,

Sprry, I couldn't remember if its already started or failed to start. I disabled my firewall, defender etc and then reinstalled back the same 8.3 version but the problems are still exactly the same.

morny
12-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Can you let me know the exact error you get when you try to start the service so i can help you solve this

UBOXER
12-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi,

postgresSQL has disappeared from my list of services after installation, therefore I cannot start it. Is there anyway I can add it back?

I did try to run "start database" from postgresql but its still not apearing from my list of services.

Adding to that, a program called stack builder was started after I installed postgresql. I cancelled stack builder without doing anything. Do I have to do something with stackbuilder?

Thanks.

UBOXER
12-21-2008, 03:02 AM
Can you let me know the exact error you get when you try to start the service so i can help you solve this

Hi,

I managed to get postgresql to appear on admin,services. When I try to start, the error says "Error1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

UBOXER
12-21-2008, 03:06 AM
Hi,

I forget to mention that when reinstalling postgresql, I get an error saying that the destination database......is not empty etc". I UNcheck the "initialize database" box in order to keep the installation going. Does that matter? Thanks again.

morny
12-21-2008, 10:31 AM
It sounds like the database might be damaged. To test please uninstall PostgreSQL then copy and paste the folders from C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\Data to a backup folder somewhere.

Then delete the contents of C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\Data once youve it backed up and reinstall postgreSQL http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=176 and this time dont untick the initialise database cluster and complete the installation.

Youll be working off a blank database so create a new database when you start and then if it works then it indicates theres nothing wrong with postgreSQL but there is with the database as losing power while running HM is one of the most common causes of corrupt databases