PDA

View Full Version : Getting errors on restore

iSTRONG
12-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm trying to restore a database using pgadmin3 and I'm getting these error messages...

http://pastebin.com/m6f1a20d1

morny
12-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Are you creating a new database first http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146 and then restoring to this new database?

If so ten looks like theres some problems with the database so try exporting the hands instead and reimporting to a new database

iSTRONG
12-19-2008, 05:52 PM
ya. that's what i did. created a database, then restored.

Unfortunately, that DB is over 20 million hands it it will take me days to reimport all the hands.

What's annoying is that i've had to restore this huge DB several times & have had problems each time.

morny
12-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Quote From Roy:

The 2 most common causes of this problems are 1) powering off your computer or having your computer lose power while the database is doing something and 2) an old drive with bad sectors on it. Basically what happens is a small portion of a file gets slightly corrupt and then when you reboot and windows goes into that checkdsk procedure it finds the bad section and, thinking it is doing a good thing, removes it. Postgres then loads the table and a portion of it is gone so it doesn’t like that and blocks access to the entire table. Normally when this happens it is on a completely useless file that you'll never even notice is now gone and quite often it will happen to an index in the DB which can easily be rebuilt but in your case it happened to a system table.

So, to protect against this

1) keep you hands histories in case you do need to reimport
2) use a power bar and avoid hard shutdowns (when you flick the power switch on the pc)
3) if your drive is old consider replacing it with a new one. They are cheap and much faster now than even a few years ago.

I also find setting up the auto import folder incorrectly an cause this problem so if you attach your holdemmanager.config file from C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder and ill see if theres anything there

The thing is i presume your exporting your database because it has stopped working, if this is the case then backing up and restoring the database isnt going to solve the problem as its the database thats corrupt not the HH so you need to extract (export) the HH from the corrupt database and then import them into a shiny new database.

This shouldnt happen very often if at all so look into those possible causes as i know its a pain with that big a database. If it was giving any index errors with the old database then we might be able to fix it but if its anything else im afraid its unrecoverable