PDA

View Full Version : How does the inport process work

melles
12-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Sometimes when I import alot of hh files the process goes like this.

Reads the hh files from this location.
X:\HH

Writes the hh files to this location.
C:\Program\Holdem Manager\Importing\Work Folder

Reads the HH files from C:\Program\Holdem Manager\Importing\Work Folder and then writes them to the Postgre DB.
Y:\PostgreSQL

Other times when im not importing alot of files it never writes the files to the C:\Program\Holdem Manager\Importing\Work Folder I guess its just skip the step 2 above is that becouse it doesnt need a temp folder becouse there isnt alot of files when does HH start to use the WorkFolder?

I wounder becouse I will buy new harddrives and reinstall my system.
Will this be the best thing to do?

Install OS to c:
Install PostGre to x:
Install HoldemManager to y:

hh that I want to import where should I put these on the y: drive?
or would it be better to install HoldemManager and PostGre on the same drive?

morny
12-18-2008, 05:22 PM
It shouldnt really effect things that much either way, if your X or Y drives were faster drives than your C drice then id install postgreSQL and the HH there and also if space on the C drive is likely to become an issue then PostgreSQL should defo go on one of the additional drives but from a perfromance point of view it wouldnt be much difference

melles
12-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the reply
To install HH or PostGres on the same drive as the OS will be bad if you import alot of hh files.

Do you know how fast PostGre can push in data in the DB I mean does it matter if the drive can read/write 100MB/sec or 130MB/sec ?
What is the maximum MB/sec you can use before it something else that is the threshold?

I going to but one of these drives in this test http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/suite_v4.php?typeID=10&testbedID=4&osID=6&raidconfigID=1&numDrives=1&devID_0=321&devID_1=360&devCnt=2 almost if I buy the Cheetah I will buy the 15K.6 version.

But I need to know if its worth to buy the SAS disk much more expensive and louder.