PDA

View Full Version : Postgres issue on windows 7 after defrag and system registry cleaning

tothetopIgo
03-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I have a Sony vaio running on Windows 7 and I recently performed a system tune up through Vaio care that cleans the hard drive and registry to enhance performance. Hem has been running fine for a year, but recently I ran this again and now I couldn;t connect to postgres. I checked and it is not a firewall or antivirus issue. I went to delete the psotmaster file and the postgress was missing (got deleted somehow) so I reinstalled and it worked fine for 2 days. I ran the defragmenter again and the same thing happened(except the post gres in now still there).

I am getting the error failure to establish connection to 127.0.0.1. I tried the stop/start server and it states the system cannot find the path specified.

Can you please give me some insight on how to get this up and running again?

tothetopIgo
03-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Can someone give me an idea on how to fix this ASAP. I am burning daylight with fish at the tables :)

Patvs
03-04-2011, 07:56 PM
This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely

Which SQL version are you using?
If it stops running every time... try to update it to the latest version.
If the problem re-occurs, either create a NEW empty database and reimport your hands.. or install a different version of SQL to a different port (for example 9.0.3 to port 5433) and connect to that instead.