PDA

View Full Version : Lost password with postgres - help needed

Mookie
12-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi

I tried to install postgres (before HE without turning my user account off) and either installed it or got half way and quit. Upon returning I had forgotten the password. Now if I delete the software and re-install it still asks for this password. I had a computer savvy friend come over and help but to no avail. If I try and install it now and I provide a password it gives the following message "the password specified was incorrect. Please enter the correct password for the postgres windows user account". I believe somewhere this password has been registered and won't go away even if the software is deleted. Any help much appreciated! PS I use windows vista and my friend turned my user account control off. Why on earth is there not a retrieve password function - unbelievable.

I have no program files for postgres on my computer so I can't alter the pga file as I have read on another thread on the postgres site.

Thanks Marty.

morny
12-17-2008, 03:56 PM
The password isnt for HM if for PostgreSQL, if you update to the newest version then when you enter the incorrect name it should prompt to force it to accept any password, select Yes for this and it will be fine to use any password after that

slamdunka
12-23-2008, 06:44 AM
Im the savvy friend.

I dont know what he did re passwords but I advised him to uninstall postgre and start again. Not sure if he did unistall it or just deleted the folder. Either way its not on the PC now.

Now when trying to run the newly downloaded install files its asking for the password for the postgres windows user account. There is no option other than enter the password and when its entered wrongly there is still no options. I tried all the default passwords.

Its Vista Home Premium UAC off.

qza
12-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Im the savvy friend.

I dont know what he did re passwords but I advised him to uninstall postgre and start again. Not sure if he did unistall it or just deleted the folder. Either way its not on the PC now.

Now when trying to run the newly downloaded install files its asking for the password for the postgres windows user account. There is no option other than enter the password and when its entered wrongly there is still no options. I tried all the default passwords.

Its Vista Home Premium UAC off.

That's weird... morny's solution should work. Perhaps it's setting a password during installation. Try searching for a file named "Edit pg_hba.conf". Down at the very bottom of that file edit the local connections. Change the "md5" to "trust" then login as postgres and set a password. Change it back to md5.

morny
12-23-2008, 03:05 PM
It may be possible hes using a beta version of posgreSQL as i seen one which requests the postgreSQL password, can you get him to try this version http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=176 and if it happens with that version please post a screenshot

slamdunka
12-24-2008, 04:26 AM
That seemed to work. Good one guys.