PDA

View Full Version : can't install postgres, about to commid suicide

dj1987
03-03-2011, 10:55 PM
so after i had the PostgreSQL cannot start error 127.0.0.1 problem and i couldn't fix it, i decided to uninstall postgres. i've since then done everything i found in the forums and i still always get the "sorry, couldn't install postgres" meassage.
i use windows 7, running as adminstator, uac is off, all anti virus programs uninstalled, windows defender and firewall disabled. i've tried several postgres versions, also doing the "delete user" thing in the black command box.
anything else i can try?
i remember having exactly the same issue when i bought this macbook (using bootcamp) and i think i had to save something in a different folder than what is usual in order to make it work, but i don't remember exactly.
help please!

dj1987
03-03-2011, 11:14 PM
details from the error..

Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\PSQLINSTALL
top level install dir -->C:\Program Files (x86)
Is admin account
fs=NTFS
.NET found
Extract: TestFirewall.exe... 100%
Extract: TestFirewall.exe.config... 100%
Antivirus Installed: False
test antivirus returned 0
seclogon error status: 0
seclogon status: 4
firewall enabled: 0
firewall not enabled
postgresql error status: 1060
postgresql status: 0
starting pgsql-8.3
starting postgresql-8.4
postgres installdir: C:\Program Files (x86)\PSQLINSTALL
==================== running PsqlTestClient
testclient return status: 1
testclient return from file: 1
==================== finished PsqlTestClient
granting write permission on top level postgres directory
no existing install dir
wrote testfile
Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\testfile
Extract: postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe... 100%
Execute: "C:\Program Files (x86)\PSQLINSTALL\postgresql-8.4.1-1-windows.exe" --mode unattended --superpassword postgrespass
postgres installdir: C:\Program Files (x86)\PSQLINSTALL
==================== running PsqlTestClient
testclient return status: 1
testclient return from file: 1
==================== finished PsqlTestClient

dj1987
03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
also, when i uninstall the failed installs with revo, it get some error about not being able to quit / delete postgres.

the uninstall still works, but it's weird.

dj1987
03-03-2011, 11:21 PM
also, i checked windows update. it updated a security update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB973923) yesterday night, maybe that's why holdem manager stopped working today.

might that still be a problem?

bengiec
03-03-2011, 11:27 PM
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/8261-still-cant-connect-posgresql-try.html

yea i think the update screwed it. gonna try going back in time brb.

Patvs
03-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Which Windows version are you running through bootcamp?

You're running SQL from the Windows side?
(you can also run it from the Mac side for best performance, read: HOWTO: Install Holdem Manager While Running Mac OS X | Mac Poker Dojo (http://www.macpokerdojo.com/2010/03/04/howto-install-holdem-manager-while-running-mac-os-x/) )

Try installing SQL 8.2.20 and install it to a non default folder.
For example C:/PostgreSQL (so NOT to C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL)

dj1987
03-04-2011, 12:19 AM
i'm using windows 7.
tried to install 8.2, it told me to change the port because it was already in use (?), i changed it to 5433. is this a problem?
installation starts, then it hangs up on "starting services". eventually i get this:

Servies "PostgreSQL Databse server 8.2" failed to start. verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
how do i do that?

Patvs
03-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Installing it to a different port (5433) is fine.

Can you check if your secondary logon is running: The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

Also try to turn off Windows User Account Control and reboot. (control panel--> users_

dj1987
03-04-2011, 01:11 AM
secondary logon is activated, uac is off.

any other ideas?

dj1987
03-04-2011, 11:35 AM
i don't know how or why, but after the gazillionth time trying to install postgres 8.2 it worked.
one thing i never considered is that i installed a program called "net nanny" (which is an internet filter) a couple of days ago. everything worked fine at first so i assumed that couldn't be the problem (also, i had it turned off anyway). however, i uninstalled the whole thing and right after, postgres could install. coincidence or no, what do you think?

Patvs
03-04-2011, 07:14 PM
It sounds like "NetNanny" even when it's deactivated would still BLOCK any unknown server. In this case it would prevent SQL from running.

Windows Firewall does the same thing. Even when it's turned OFF, it still blocks EVERYTHING. Which is why -IF YOU encounter problems- you should always manually add pg_ctl.exe, postgres.exe, port 5432, hmhud.exe, and holdemmanager.exe to the exceptions list.

If NetNanny doesn't allow you to add exceptions, uninstall it completely.