PDA

View Full Version : HEM / postgreSQL / Vista problem

Gregster6
12-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Team HEM,

I have the PostgreSQL / Vista / HEM problem which causes PostgreSQL and HEM to hang at various times. When this happens I get the error message:

Error: Conection establishment timeout. Increase Timeout value in ConnectionString.

Everything works fine for me until I've played for about an hour and then boom!...HEM locks-up. The HUD seems to carry on going although I'd be grateful to hear whether the numbers it churns out after the HEM application and or database has hung are reliable.

This is inconvenient for me because the loss of a working HEM database means that my table selection tool is useless after around an hour of play.

I have tried all the things I could think of (prior to looking at FAQ), all to no avail. The steps I took included:

do Windows update
update .NET framework
check UAC and firewall exception settings
clean-up / malware scan / defrag
update postgreSQL from 8.2 to 8.3 (full removal of 8.2 first)
upgrade to latest HEM version

I have scanned the HEM FAQ and see that this is a known issue. I am prepared to follow the procedure outlined in the FAQ but wanted to ask a couple of questions of those who who are recommending this approach.

1. Is the procedure outlined a one-time-fix or does it need to be repeated (either randomly when the problem crops up or at known intervals e.g. each time I do a Windows Update)

2. Do you know / strongly suspect which anti-virus software is incompatible with PostgreSQL / HEM and causing or contributing to this problem. I use ESET Nod32 and would be gutted to go through the FAQ procedure only to find that I've still got the problem!

3. Do you know if this problem would go away if I reverted to XP? I think I would rather do this once and get the problem over and done with than keep on faffing around with firewalls / anti virus / UAC etc.

O/s: Vista 64bit
A/v: ESEST Nod 32
SQL: v 8.3
HEM: v 1.07.01
Site: Everest Poker

Thanks in advance...apologies for the long post

Greg

morny
12-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi can you try backing up and replacing this DBcontrolPanel.exe file with the one ive attached and see if that makes a difference please, i presume your referring to faq 171 and if so that whole FAQ is dedicated to the transport connection issue some people get however the uninstall and expceptions step would only be applicable to your problem

If it dosent help restore the original one as this sets the delay a bit longer

Gregster6
12-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks morny...will give it a go now...fingers crossed

Gregster6
12-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Morny,

Pretty much on the hour HEM has locked-up as per usual.

Error message is the usual .NET Framework Connection establishment timeout.

I'd be grateful if you or the rest of the team have any other ideas.

I've had this issue ever since starting with HEM back in the spring. Up to now it has been a bit annoying but OK. Its only now I'm trying to table select a bit more carefully that I'm finding this a real pain in the knickers.

Cheers

morny
12-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Can you try something please:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer > Have a look in here and see if there is any postgreSQL errors in there

Then restart the PostgreSQL service as shown in this FAQ http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=34 (just restart restart service, no need to do anything else in the FAQ)

Lastly if that dosent work try exporting your hands http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173 and the create a new database http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146 and reimport the hands into the new database and let me know if the problem persists.

Gregster6
12-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Morny,

PostgreSQL errors in Event Viewer

There are 30 errors in total but I don't think these are related to the issue I've posted here...the latest one is 9 April 2008

Restart service

I'll give this one a go the next time I get the stall.

New database

I'll give anything a go but the database I'm using now is a new one. I created it when I did a total HEM / PostgreSQL delete & update on Saturday night.

Cheers

Gregster6
12-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Just tried re-starting the PostgreSQL service after this evening's stall (again around the 1 hour mark).

Service won't start and I'm getting the message:

Services
Windows could not start the PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 service on local computer

Error 1053: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

morny
12-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Canh you try exporting some hands and creating a new database so i can rule out if its a connection problem or something to do with the database and then try it for a while with the new database and see if the error happens please

Gregster6
12-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi Morny,

This morning I followed the faq instructions to export hands / create new database / import hands.

The issue still exists, completely as reported above (timing, error message etc).

Please let me know if there's anything else I can try.

Thanks

Gregster6
12-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I've just tried playing a session with Antivirus (Eset NOD32) switched-off to see if that makes any difference.

Lock up as before on 57.5 minutes.

morny
12-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Ive escalated this to Roy and well see if hes any further suggestions

Gregster6
12-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Thanks Morny

I look forward to hearing from Roy

Rvg72
12-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi Gregster, I am about 98% sure this is an anti virus / firewall / spyware program causing this. With Norton (and most others) shutting it off does not really shut it off - it still stays running and still causes problems. If this is the only software like this you use then as an experiment uninstall it completely and then play another session. I am pretty sure the problem will not happen and if it does then it is most likely another program on your pc doing it.

Roy

Gregster6
12-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Roy

I'll try completely uninstalling NOD32 and playing a session as you suggest.

I'm pretty careful about what runs on the PC and there are no other third party anti-virus / malware programmes resident. As far as Vista stuff is concerned:
- UAC: disabled
- Windows Defender: disabled with exceptions created as per HEM faq
- Windows Firewall: enabled with exceptions created as per HEM faq

Will report back with findings.

Greg

Gregster6
01-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Roy,

Just back from the Christmas break...I hope you had a good one.

Earlier in the thread gives the background / detail to my issue with HEM hanging in every session I play.

Before trying your suggestion of removing my AV programme and playing a session (which I was a bit nervous about but was, and still am, prepared to give it a go) I thought I'd try one last thing. This afternoon I played a session at PokerStars.

I went 63 minutes without a crash (before I had to go for dinner). You will recall that all of the time I have been having this hanging issue I have been playing at Everest Poker and the crashes have been very reliably on the 57-58 minute mark.

Keen to test this again I played an hour on Everest = recurrence of hanging problem and another session at Stars. This is the session I am currently playing and it has lasted 104.5 minutes without a crash. All with NOD32 A/v running.

Seems as though the site is a factor in the crashing. Does this make any kind of sense to you? If so is there anything you can think, either that I can try or that you can that will remove the issue on Everest.

Cheers

morny
01-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Roy is redoing the grid system we use currently which was causing alot of lag with some people, it should be out soon but in the meantime also try changing the windows scheme to Windows Vista Basic and turn off all the effects by clicking the effects button http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196001 and see does this help

Gregster6
01-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks Morny

My scheme is already Windows Standard...no Aero or anything fancy.

The only effect I had enabled was truetype fonts...now disabled.

Since these (and grids?) sound like global things I don't see how they would explain how I get crashing with one site but not another. But hey...what do I know? I'll try anything.

Having experienced a couple of sessions of crash free play on PokerStars I'd really like to get the same on the site I've got all my money on!!

Cheers