PDA

View Full Version : Hand strength

polishukdenis
07-01-2014, 04:23 AM
I've started to play with hand strength and got some ridiculous results.

For example. On a board 8d9s2dKs QJo is stronger than JTo. How could that be possible? It seems much obvious to me that OESD should be much stronger than a gutshot.

sreticentv
07-01-2014, 06:36 AM
With one card to come the Q high beats a lot more hands than the J high. You may also want to read the manual NoteCaddy General Strength - Assaultware Wiki (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Jv4mEiuZbJwJ:wiki.assaultware.com/NoteCaddy-General-Strength.ashx+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a)
Where is says it's an estimate that can be off a few percent. The reason being that to get the exact value would slow down note creation too much.

sreticentv
07-01-2014, 06:47 AM
I checked pro poker tools and it agrees that Q > J here.

polishukdenis
07-01-2014, 06:52 AM
Well it's quite obvious that if we take random distributions Q-high is certainly better than J-high. But when the distributions are more realistic OESD definitely has more value than a gutshot. While I understand your algorithmic problem and the solution here is indeed not trivial.

sreticentv
07-01-2014, 06:57 AM
I checked this exact scenario on pro poker tools. Check it yourself if you want. The numbers were not exactly the same (as the manual says it's an estimate that can be off by a few %) but the difference was 1% - just like NoteCaddy. I suggest you create a thread on their forum as well.