PDA

View Full Version : auto import is very very slow

johnnyonedrink
12-13-2008, 10:30 AM
hey,
ive searched the forums and so far no good :(

just purchased HEM, auto import worked fine, and updated every 5 seconds importing hands. however now, the import takes about 5mins each 'cycle'. Hence the HUD is very slow to update, and mucked hole cards function now doesnt work (obv doesnt have the HH in time). :(

thing is, it was all working fine. (for about 5 days from buying from new) - now its busto :)

my pc is brand new:
vista (user account control is off) - and ive added HEM/postgres/HH folder to firewall exceptions etc and defender ect.
quad core 2.xx
700gb harddrive
512mb graphics card

postgres8.3
norton anti virus

im playing on crytpo (parbet poker)
database is 1.6m, (mainly ftp)

lastly, auto import takes ages to stop also (again up to 5mins)

occasionally i get a pop-up error from postgres saying something to do with 'transport issues - application was shut down early' - this fixes itself when i restart.

i have no idea what to do now? :)

thanks - nice product other than that...

Al1
12-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi,

First, upgrade HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmUpdate1.07beta.exe

Can you reconfigure your auto-import folder exactly like that: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?topicid=43&faqid=144

Don't forget to delete your old configuration line too.

johnnyonedrink
12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
sry, forgot to mention, i did upgrade.

ive re-done the auto import folders, im sure the issue is elsewhere, i.e. it DOES see the hands in the folder, but the import into HEM is very very very slow, ie. it takes about 5mins to START importing, that is successful, then it waits another 5mins or so to import again. So there is a very big lag - its not every seconds like it was originally.

Again, when i first installed i had no problem, i dont get it.

also, when i click stop auto import, it stops (again after some delay - say 3-4mins), then i close HEM and it says import is still running - which it is in the background again due to the lag, then it imports any hands remaining 4-5mins later.

works:
-importing, and HUD, all fine.

probs:
-big delay in importing :(

could it be my anti virus trying to scan/stop HEM?

:confused:

oh, also my CPU is fine, it hovers at25% when importing.

and even if i import from folder, again, biiiig delay, its not instant.

Al1
12-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Can you try to create a new DB and test if the import function is ok here: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146

johnnyonedrink
12-13-2008, 02:00 PM
hey,
set up a new DB, import worked fine for the hands that were already in my HH folder. It imported my 15k hands from crypto fine.

however, auto import is still the same, ie. very slow, 5min lag, and takes 5mins to stop.

so, the import is not running every 5 seconds, nowhere near.
when it does import, it does it fine, but the cycle of imports is very very slow in terms of the gaps between imports. i.e. start import, wait 5mins then imports hands, then wait another 5mins, and imports hands.
obv this then makes mucked hole card pop up worthless (10-15hands too late).
and also frustrating cause HUD takes 3 orbits on a new table before it pops up.

e.g it takes at least 3 orbits of playing 6max before the first hands are imported.

:confused:

Al1
12-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Can you reinstall HM:

1) Make a backup of "Config" in a safe location
2) Export your HUDs via "HUD Options => Player Preferences"
3) Uninstall HM via the Control Panel
4) Go to Program Files and delete the RVG Software directory, or the equivalent for Vista
5) Reboot your computer
6) Install the complete setup of HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/holdemmanager.zip
7) Upload HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmUpdate1.07beta.exe
8) Test if it works
9) Overwrite the backuped "holdemmanager.config" file in the new Config directory to recover your settings
10) Test if it works
11) Import your HUDs via "HUD Options => Player Preferences"
12) Test if it works

johnnyonedrink
12-13-2008, 03:00 PM
reinstalled successfully.

same problem, auto import only kicks in every 5 mins.

is there a way to change the import time windows like in PT2?

or something else?

again, when i first used HEM (2 weeks ago), it was fine.

the only thing i recal changing is adding norton anti virus to my PC.

:(

Al1
12-13-2008, 03:06 PM
the only thing i recal changing is adding norton anti virus to my PC.

Precision: Norton seems to have a strange politic with his products, ans it seems you only have a certain time to download his product, after that, you have to purchase an add on to download Norton one more time.
See the point 2 of this FAQ about this strange thing with Norton: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=171

I don't wanna be a pest, be Norton causes a lot of issue with HM. Can you try to uninstall it completely (Norton) and try HM and tell me if it change something. Perhaps, reinstalling HM after uninstalling Norton will change something too.

You can find a very good (I use it) anti-virus which is free here: www.avast.com

johnnyonedrink
12-13-2008, 03:22 PM
you are not the pest - i am :(

ok, norton is uninstalled, HEM still the same.

'import from folder' is fine.
'auto import' is very slow. cycle is every 5mins.

Al1
12-13-2008, 03:26 PM
you are not the pest - i am :(

ok, norton is uninstalled, HEM still the same.

'import from folder' is fine.
'auto import' is very slow. cycle is every 5mins.

Ok, damn your issue is leathery :)

Can you reinstall postgreSQL: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgresql.zip

If it don't work, I will escalate this thread to morny, he will look deeper at your issue and perhaps do a Teamviewer session with you.

johnnyonedrink
12-13-2008, 03:53 PM

reinstalled postgres
uninstalled norton
turned off defender
turned off firewall

still the same!

please do escalate, im sure its something simple, i mean, it HAS worked fine in the past!

i will log on for the next 2-3 hours, and again tomorrow...

thanks for your help so far - i dont want to go back to PT3!

Al1
12-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Escalated to morny (Support), he will answere asap.

johnnyonedrink
12-13-2008, 03:57 PM
thanks Al.

morny
12-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi ill be around for about 1 hour now if you want to do a teamviewer session email me morny@holdemmanager.net

If we miss eachother if you follow this FAQ: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34 Which will lead to FAQ 171 then it will solve the problem IF you follow it exactly and done skip any section

johnnyonedrink
12-14-2008, 01:01 PM
we missed each other.

i went through both FAQs step by step, it didnt solve MY problem.
postgres etc are all working fine, the imports DO work, as does the HUD.
that is not my problem :)

my issue it with the LAG?

i.e. the HUD takes 2-3 6max orbits beofre it pops up, and the auto import cycle IS NOT every 5seconds, its far slower, approx every 3-5min.
hence hole card pop up is like 5mins late, and only for 1 hand, 5mins previously :(

all i want is for the import to happen every 5seconds like it used to?!

i play on parbet poker (crypto)

to confirm, ive gone through all the FAQs u mentioned, all antivirus, firewalls are off?!
PC is quad core and brand new, so cant understand the performance probs??!?!?!

can someone please take a look ?!

thanks guys

johnnyonedrink
12-14-2008, 02:00 PM
also, ive tried on FTP, same problem, imports are working, but takes like 5mins per cycle, import is very fast when it starts, i.e. hands import fine, then pause, waits 5mins, then imports the next batch.

for some reason the import doesnt happen every 5seconds.

morny
12-14-2008, 03:35 PM
we missed each other.

i went through both FAQs step by step, it didnt solve MY problem.
postgres etc are all working fine, the imports DO work, as does the HUD.
that is not my problem :)

my issue it with the LAG?

i.e. the HUD takes 2-3 6max orbits beofre it pops up, and the auto import cycle IS NOT every 5seconds, its far slower, approx every 3-5min.
hence hole card pop up is like 5mins late, and only for 1 hand, 5mins previously :(

all i want is for the import to happen every 5seconds like it used to?!

i play on parbet poker (crypto)

to confirm, ive gone through all the FAQs u mentioned, all antivirus, firewalls are off?!
PC is quad core and brand new, so cant understand the performance probs??!?!?!

can someone please take a look ?!

thanks guys

Ive sent you an email but its quite likely you have set it to import from subfolders and thus every 5 seconds its trying to import 20+MB of files, this is why we recommend not to turn on subfolders for crypto in the FAQ

If its not that ive emailed you so let me know a suitable time for session

johnnyonedrink
12-14-2008, 05:03 PM
wow, this might be it :)

so, i set it to parbet.com poker/log
and untick subfolders?

morny
12-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah and delete the old auto import folder you had setup

johnnyonedrink
12-15-2008, 02:59 PM
yeah. i tried, but didnt import without subfolders ticked.

ive emailed.

i feel like a computer noob :)
(im obv missing something - as im really generally ok with these things)

johnnyonedrink
12-15-2008, 03:25 PM
wait, something has happened, i deleted auto import location, and tried again.
now its zipping along just fine.

thanks for all ur help.

is there a specific order to setting these auto import folders up or something?
like, play 2-3 hands, then set up folders, or set up folders then play.

im soooo happy :)
and i dont even know how i fixed it :)

morny
12-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Glad you got it working, sometimes it needs a reboot of HM before it reverts to the new auto import folder location but it dosent matter when you set it up.

ads
12-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi I am going through a similar problem - when I try to start importing it seems to take forever for anything to happen. Then when I want to stop it also seems to take a while, and often when I try to close hem it thinks it's still importing when in fact it isn't. I have just reset the auto-import folders and unchecked the subfolders, as well as all the other steps but still without success :( I was using hem with ipoker party and full tilt. I did recently install avast! after having to uninstall norton due to another problem I had recently - could this be the problem?

ads
12-16-2008, 02:10 PM
ok I've tried uninstalling avast! and it is exactly the same, I can't tell if it's importing hands or not as the progress bar stays empty and you get no indication of whether it's working or not, but I did notice an increase in the number on the "players" tab after closing then reopening hem a bit later. The hud did seem to work when I had a session earlier but none of the stats were updating.

morny
12-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Please disable UAC and then restart your PC http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=73

ads
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks - that seems to have done it. Justtwo further questions - must I now keep the UAC settings as they are? I'm getting alerts from windows saying I should change it back in order to keep my computer secure. Also, is it ok to now include the subfolders for my auto-imports as there are many HHs stored in them.Thanks

morny
12-16-2008, 03:00 PM
PostgreSQL wont work with UAC on so youll need to leave it off. You need to keep subfolders off if your playing on Prima otherwise it will cause problems, since the auto import folder should point to the folder with the gamehistory.dat file then there is no need to have subfolders on since there is no HH below that folder. If your playing somewhere other than Prima then its fine to have subfolders on.

ads
12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Ok, thanks for your help, it feels great to have hem functioning normally again. Finally just want to check - by leaving UAC off, my computer won't be vulnerable in any kind of serious way, right? I don't really get what the purpose of UAC is. Thanks

morny
12-16-2008, 03:15 PM
The idea of UAC is an extra layer of protection, the problem is it dosent have a memory, i.e it asks you every time you want to open a program rather than ask is it ok the first time which makes it a pain in the hole having to click Yes for everything you do and also it causes problems with lots of programs not allowing permission. However people have been using XP for years without UAC and got on fine and even if something was attacking your system then unless you know what your doing you might end up selecting Yes and let them in anyway because your so used to it popping up so you lose and extra layer of protection but gain a right headache with it on