PDA

View Full Version : Postgres - Specific folder is HUGE!

TroyMaster
03-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Hey if I click in

Postgres - 8.4 - data - base - on folder "16397" It is the BIGGEST folder I do have.
The whole Postgres-folder is 3.65 GB big, THIS ONE SPECIFIC FOLDER is 3.4 GB big.
Can you explain what it is? Do I need it? Can I delete it?

Is there anything else with make the Database Huge? I remember for a year ago I found a threat here where u could delete big file with noone use. Cant remember where it is anymore. I just see that since I use HEM on my new PC it took more than 8GB on my HD. Dont know where it is from

RDB
03-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Do not delete this as this is where your actual database is stored. This file will get bigger over time. If you are looking to improve performance or decrease the size of your database see this thread.

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

Veteran68
03-01-2011, 04:26 PM
In the grand scheme of an entire hard drive, especially in a new system as you stated, 3.4G should not be a concern. That's not even one single-layer DVD worth of data. I work with folders and even individual files everyday that are much much larger than this. It's a database, and it will grow.

What you're probably remembering that could be deleted to free up space was the PostgreSQL log files, which if enabled, log every database update and can grow very large. Those aren't needed for end-users and can be disabled in the PostgreSQL configuration.

Patvs
03-01-2011, 11:10 PM
3.65 GB is tiny.

Every million hands in your database take about 10 GB of space.
(I've encountered lots of 100 GB databases)

Turn off logging, and consider to move your database to a different drive if you don't have 20-40 GB of free space on the current drive.