PDA

View Full Version : Top Pair, top/good kicker

willwonka
07-24-2008, 02:36 PM
I had a commenter on my blog mention that he thought I was overvalueing top pair, top kicker.

This may or may not be true.

I did a filter on my last 3 months which was about 61K hands.

I filtered on Top Pair / Top and Good Kicker and only got back 192 hands

I further filtered it down to saw showdown and got 142 hands.

I'm just doing a reasonableness check here. Does that sound right or does it seem like you should have more hands that meet that filter.

BTW... he might be right as I am negative dollars with tha filter. Paid off way too many sets.

morny
07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
If you look in the plugging leaks forum http://208.109.95.123/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12 and look at article 3 of the pluggin leaks series available by clicking on the Article Menu in HM youll find some interesting stuff and ranges you should falling into.

Generally in non 3bet pots where you have TPGK or TP or even an overpair if you get raised your hand wont be a favourite and it needs discipline to lay it down. Of course it depends on the villain and how passive or aggressive he is and also the board texture.

willwonka
07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
It wasn't too negative.. more or less break even; but interesting none the less.

I was just curious as to others running a similar filter and it returning less than 1% of your hands played.

I do look forward into diving into Article 3.

morny
07-24-2008, 10:12 PM
save your filter and post it here using the "Manage Attachments" button below and ill have a look and see if your using the filter correctly

To save it go to Filter> Save and give it a name and it will be saved in the filters folder in Holdem Manager

willwonka
07-25-2008, 06:38 AM
I have attached the file.

I think I have the filter now for all hands..

After I do this, then I typically add a Showdown=True to see how many hands I had with top/top that went to showdown.

Thanks.

willwonka
07-25-2008, 07:27 AM
I just noticed that I had the filter wrong that I sent you as I had good and weak kicker; but the concept is the same. I actually lost more when I filtered on Top kicker. Who knew?

morny
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM
You have it set to have anything on the flop and turn and TP on the river, if your trying to review TPTK hands its better to do that with a flopped TPTK rather than on the river and youll see more hands. Your example also includes the times you cbet with air and hit TPTK on turn or river so thats a disguised hand.

If its a case of overvauling id be looking more at the times where you had TPTK and called a raise, dont see too much with double/tripple barreling TPTK but like i said before when you have that in a non 3bet pot and get raised your usually in trouble. Your filter is correct so just move it to the flop instead of the river and also use a filter to take out 3bet hands as its a completely different concept having TPTK in a 3bet pot than in a normal raised or unraised pot.

willwonka
07-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks alot. That really helps. All that I can say is wow regarding the power of HEM and filtering. I can't wait to get home and dig deeper.

Thanks again.