PDA

View Full Version : Error. Cant Use HEM

p9d2
12-06-2008, 07:01 PM
HEM had some kind of error and shut down while it was open. Ever since I am getting this new error msg and am unable to use HEM. When i start it i see:

"The following error occurred when trying to open the database: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

When i click OK which is my only option, it takes me to the Database Control Panel. When I try to connect i get this error:

Connection Error: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System. Net. Sockets. SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[]buffer,Int32 offset, Int32 size,SocketFlags socket Flags)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ----
at system.Net.Sockets.Network.Stream.Read(Byte[]buffer, Int32 offset,Int32 size) at System.IO.BufferedStream.ReadByte[)

It keeps going for a while..... i tried to take a screen shot but its not working =/.

p9d2
12-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I restarted my computer. Now when i try to start it i says:

"The following error occurred when trying to open the database: Failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1'"

I click OK

It takes me to Database Control Panel

I click connect. It says:

"A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made. Would you like to have Holdem Manager attempt to start the service? YES NO

I click YES

It just says: "Sorry, Holdem Manager was unable to start the service"
and then "Holdem Manager has started the service. Please try again."

Then I try again and get the same message.

Started on version 1.07. I now have 1.07.01

p9d2
12-07-2008, 02:29 AM
FWIW ive tried all steps from this FAQ:

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=171

Still not working. When i restart my computer and then look under control panel>services, after all services have started, PostgreSQL still says starting and never finishes..... not sure what this means.

Im using Windows XP btw

Al1
12-07-2008, 04:58 AM
FWIW ive tried all steps from this FAQ:

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=171

Still not working. When i restart my computer and then look under control panel>services, after all services have started, PostgreSQL still says starting and never finishes..... not sure what this means.

Im using Windows XP btw

Escalated to morny (Support), he will answere asap.

p9d2
12-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Thank you very much....life is hell without HEM

p9d2
12-08-2008, 06:39 AM
This is getting frustrating. Ive tried reinstalling everything. Turned off all antivirus and firewall software. Nothing is working. Id really appreciate some help asap. I would really like to have my software working again!

Deuces_wild
12-08-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm having the same problem

Deuces_wild
12-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I have fixed the problem.. It turned out my D: is full, hope this helps others

morny
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
This is a problem with PostgreSQL being blocked from accessing the database and the only solution is to follow this FAQ http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=34 and then this one http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=171 but you must do it exactly as described because if you skip one step or only half do a step it probably wont work

It seems the Vista updates cause this and there is no other way to fix this until they fix the problem or PostgreSQL release a patch

p9d2
12-08-2008, 05:51 PM
morny ive tried both those faqs in the exact order.... and im not using vista..im using XP. The faqs did not solve the problem. I will try again for the 3rd time, but my hopes arent high at this point

p9d2
12-08-2008, 06:03 PM
no luck. i cant get past step one basically. I cant get the service to start... Ive tried everything i can think of including researching on postgreSQL forums.

morny
12-08-2008, 06:21 PM
So youve all antiviruses, spywares and firewalls uninstalled, and youve added the exceptions as mentioned to the built in firewall and then when all that was done youve uninstalled and reinstalled PostgreSQL?

p9d2
12-08-2008, 07:31 PM
yes. I have done all that. I am out of options. I have reinstalled postgreSQL and HEM multiple times. Followed the faqs 3 times now. Nothing is working. Ive disabled the Windows XP firewall. Ive added all the exceptions. Ive deleted my antivirus. Im 100 percent out of options.

morny
12-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Theres probably not alot i can do other than repeat them steps i gave you. I can do a teamviewer session to do that and see if its something obvious but other than that ive never seen anything other than an antivirus/firewall etc causing the problem so if its not that your options are a quick system reinstall or else trying the postgreSQL forums for a solution as its obviously something pretty complicated. email if youd like me to do a teamviewer session to let me know a suitable time morny@holdemmanager.net

p9d2
12-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Problem solved thanks to awesome customer support.

Alexdb
12-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Can you share the solution?

I am getting the same error message today, probably because I just installed Vista updates. Everything was fine yesterday.

morny
12-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Following this FAQ done the trick http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34 and then this one http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=171

ads
12-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi. I had the same problems with hem but after following the links posted above it seems to be working again after uninstalling my anti-virus software. I am a bit annoyed however that after following the instructions, I've now discovered that I am unable to re-download my ant-virus software (Norton) which i paid and subscribed for in August. It seems that after 60 days of subscribing you have to pay for an extended download service in order to reinstall it I know this is not hem's problem but is this a case of "bad luck, you have to pay up or never be able to use hem again"? Surely there should be a warning, since it is stated that uninstalling the anti-virus software is such a crucial step in getting hem to work again. I searched to see if there was an install file or if there was a way of installing the software without downloading but could not find anything helpful

Al1
12-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi. I had the same problems with hem but after following the links posted above it seems to be working again after uninstalling my anti-virus software. I am a bit annoyed however that after following the instructions, I've now discovered that I am unable to re-download my ant-virus software (Norton) which i paid and subscribed for in August. It seems that after 60 days of subscribing you have to pay for an extended download service in order to reinstall it I know this is not hem's problem but is this a case of "bad luck, you have to pay up or never be able to use hem again"? Surely there should be a warning, since it is stated that uninstalling the anti-virus software is such a crucial step in getting hem to work again. I searched to see if there was an install file or if there was a way of installing the software without downloading but could not find anything helpful

I use this free anti-virus without any issues with HM: www.avast.com

By the way, I don't understand your download issue.

ads
12-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Sorry, allow me to try and explain it better. I use Norton anti-virus which I paid for and subscribed to in August for 12 months. As part of following the steps to solve the problems with hem, I uninstalled Norton from my computer - correct? After restarting my computer holdem manager seemed to be working as normal. Great. However - I obviously want my computer to be protected so tried to re-install Norton, and it appeared the only way to do this was by downloading it from their site. After navigating to the appropriate page I was unable to download it, and was given the message:

When you order a downloadable product from the Symantec Store you are automatically granted a 60 day window in which your purchase can be redownloaded at any time. After this 60 day window has passed your download will no longer be available unless the Extended Download Service is also purchased.

So it seems, unless there is something I've not tried, that solving my hem problem by the instructions given has come at a cost for me. I am pointing this out since it seems that anyone who uses Norton anti-virus software who purchased it over 60 days ago who has experienced problems of OP's nature with hem will be faced with this problem, unless of course there is a solution I'm unaware of. Since Norton/Symantec seem quite a big company in the computer protection field it might be worth including a warning of some sort in the FAQ if what's happened to me was unavoidable.

I hope this has clarified things

Ads

Al1
12-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow. If it's like you explain, that's very dishonest/tricky from Norton.

Escalated to morny (Support), he will answere asap.

ads
12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the quick reply - like I said, I know this isn't really your problem but I thought you should be aware. I hope there is still a chance there's a simple solution I haven't figured out!

morny
12-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Personally the 1st thing i do when a mate asks me to fix hes PC is uninstall Norton and then UAC which not surprisingly they make incredibly difficult in most cases.

Thats nothing short of exploitation IMO and id report it to somewhere that deals with these kind of things as it surely cant be legal? Nonetheless ive updated the FAQ to warn people of this in the future and again im expressing only my personal opinion from my experience and in no way reflect the opinions of Holdem Manager or anyone invloved but i think your much better off without Norton. Avast or AVG are excellent alternatives and free and you can redownload them whenever you want.

Jibalob
12-14-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm now having this problem and can't get past step 1 of the FAQ (I can't get the Postgres service to start).

I'm using Vista with UAC and run my computer in a user account on a day to day basis but I have HEM and all poker apps set to run as administrator - never had UAC related problems before.

When I attempt to connect to the postgres service manually I get the following error message: "Error1053: The service did not respond to the start control request in a timely fashion"

It makes no difference whether or not I'm logged in as administrator,

Disabling UAC is not an option for me.

morny
12-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Ok thats normal, ive updated the FAQ to tell people to move on the step 2 if it dosent start which is what you should do

If you dont disable UAC then it wont work or if it does it will likely cause lots of issues, UAC is not compatible with PostgreSQL which is the database structure that HM uses

Jibalob
12-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks, deleting the PID file seems to have done the trick.

FWIW this is the first time I've ever had any trouble with postgres running UAC. It seems to run normally, the only exception being that Vista creates a "user" named postgres which has it's own My Documents / my pictures etc.

morny
12-14-2008, 05:01 PM
When i have seen this working with HM (most people it just wont import) it causes really weird problems like wrong stats showing, not picking up the hud on some tables and things like that but i guess if you can get it working with it go for it, glad you got it sorted in the end anyway

tversky
01-24-2010, 12:39 PM
The links for those FAQs don't connect directly to the guides...is there an up to date link?

fozzy71
01-24-2010, 08:49 PM
We re-launched the website and FAQs.

For postgresql connection issues, this is the process I recommend:

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/275/Windows+Firewall+%7B47%7D+Defender+Problems

Please try following these FAQs, step by step:

1) http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can't+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQL+
2) reinstall the same version of postgresql, using the same \data folder - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database
3) http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8261

If that doesn't help you will probably have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely and reimport your hands using these instructions - http://forums.holdemmanager.com/showthread.php?t=20755

wilneedheart
05-27-2010, 03:30 AM
try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

wow, that worked first go! :)

ty