PDA

View Full Version : New Hard Drive

muddyjeremy
12-05-2008, 09:31 PM
I had to get a new hard drive for my Windows installation, but I had a seperate hard drive running holdem manager and postgresql so that is still in tact. But when I try to run holdem manager it says it can't connect to 120.0.0.1 and I see the postgresql service is not running. What should I do and can I start the service manually or tell it to start during new windows start up?

Al1
12-06-2008, 05:49 AM
I had to get a new hard drive for my Windows installation, but I had a seperate hard drive running holdem manager and postgresql so that is still in tact. But when I try to run holdem manager it says it can't connect to 120.0.0.1 and I see the postgresql service is not running. What should I do and can I start the service manually or tell it to start during new windows start up?

See morny's answere below...

muddyjeremy
12-06-2008, 10:36 AM
OK so how do I back up that stuff and reimport? I don't mind doing that but I don't know how to get anything to start.

muddyjeremy
12-07-2008, 01:28 PM
bump

jilly bean24
12-07-2008, 07:27 PM
+1

some detailed instructions on how to move HEM and all databases onto external hard drive would be great as i am running out of memory

Al1
12-08-2008, 02:18 AM
+1

some detailed instructions on how to move HEM and all databases onto external hard drive would be great as i am running out of memory

You can perhaps find an answere in this thread: http://208.109.95.123/forum/showthread.php?t=4315

morny
12-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Sorry for the delay as i was away this weekend. please do this:

stop the PostgreSQL service
- copy/move your 'data' directory to the desired location
- change the path to the data in the registry :
the key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\pgsql-8.2\ImagePath
by default it is :
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin\pg_ctl.exe" runservice -w -N "pgsql-8.2" -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\"

You need to change the -D part.

- exit the services window (where you have killed the service) or reboot
- relaunch the postgresql service

If messing with the registry isnt your cup of tea then heres another way

install postgresql again if you havent already on the new PC then turn off the service by finding PostgreSQL in the Start Menu and using the Stop Service option. Then delete the \Data folder in the new installation of postgres and copy your backed up \Data folder over. if you can't delete then you may need to reboot.

Then in the PostgreSQL menu click on Start Service and if everything went right you should be able to connect to your old database.

This dosent always work so its better to have a copy of the hands aswell in case it dosent work

muddyjeremy
12-10-2008, 12:26 AM
I followed directions but now I get the following error when trying to connect to my database server. I have attached the print screen from my computer. Please let me know if you have any suggestions thanks!

morny
12-10-2008, 02:20 PM
At what part of the step did you get that error?

muddyjeremy
12-11-2008, 11:06 PM
If I leave the database alone (the new generic database when I reinstall postgres) it will connect fine. When I copy over the old database to the new database folder F:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data it stops listening. If I make the other data folder alive again that one works fine. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

morny
12-12-2008, 01:53 PM
This happens occassionaly which is why we recommend to export the HH aswell or at least dont delete them until you get it installed on the other drive.

If you still have access to the old drive if you can get the HH or export the hands and import into the new database, if not there isnt much you can do as its likely that something is corrupt on the database, the only alternative is to maybe try some other version of PostgreSQL and see if youve better luck with that

muddyjeremy
12-13-2008, 12:01 AM
do you know where I can download a 8.2 version of postgres? That's what my old database is in and the new one is 8.3 would that matter?

Al1
12-13-2008, 05:11 AM
do you know where I can download a 8.2 version of postgres? That's what my old database is in and the new one is 8.3 would that matter?

8.2 and 8.3 work both fine.