PDA

View Full Version : Computer Hardware advice: Replacing destop PC with a lenovo ThinkPad 8

Moonpig
02-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Hi

I am thinking of replacing my poker hardware PC and Laptop with a tablet, but i am not sure if i will get the same performance from this Tablet as i did on my current PC playing 10 tables?

My current desktop PC is running windows 7 64bit & HEM1

CPU Intel Q8200s (4MB Cache 2.33GHz)
4Gb RAM
5200 RPM Hard drive
Nvidia Geforce 9300

I am thinking of getting the Lenovo ThinkPad 8 Window 8.1 32 Pro (not rt)

CPU Intel Atom Z3770 Processor (2MB Cache, up to 2.39GHz)
2GB RAM (PC3-8500 DDR3 on MB)
64GB eMMC Integrated Storage
Intel HD Graphics Gen 7, 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless with Bluetooth 4.0

The CPUs look about the same or am i missing something?
Losing 2Gb Ram will that cripple me?
Is eMMC Integrated storage faster than 5200 RPM Hard Drive?
Is Nvidia Geforce 9300 better than Intel HD Graphics Gen 7?

Here is a youtube video of the Lenovo ThinkPad 8 running 2.1 monitors.

Lenovo ThinkPad 8 - BayTail Windows 8 Tablet Hands on - CES 2014 [ENG] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzA_1SWbsVI)

Thanks

udbrky
02-07-2014, 05:54 PM
You're going to be sharing that 2GB RAM with the graphics card, Windows Services and processes, and any other programs you are going to run. 2GB RAM is our minimum required, we recommend at least 4.

In my opinion, tablets are not advanced enough yet to play poker. I think in the future, they will be. But it might take some generations to get there. I would keep a computer to play on and maybe give a tablet a try sometimes and see how it goes.

Moonpig
02-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the reply

I use HEM 1 and not HEM 2.

The link below says you only need 512MB for HEM1 but recommend 2GB

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/3/Minimum+System+Requirements

I did not realises that Intel HD Graphics would share the 2GB RAM.

So is the Ram the most important factor?

Might have to wait for the 4GB Version of the Thinkpad 8.

fozzy71
02-08-2014, 11:51 AM
You will probably be OK with HM1 on something like that but we will soon stop supporting HM1 and you may end up wanting/needing to upgrade to HM2 if your site releases an update that causes HM1 to stop working with your site after we end support. HM Cloud would run fine on that but you will not be able to use/buy HM Cloud if you don't own HM2.

Moonpig
02-10-2014, 07:05 AM
You will probably be OK with HM1 on something like that but we will soon stop supporting HM1 and you may end up wanting/needing to upgrade to HM2 if your site releases an update that causes HM1 to stop working with your site after we end support. HM Cloud would run fine on that but you will not be able to use/buy HM Cloud if you don't own HM2.

Good point .

Do you have an rough date for when support will stop for HEM 1?

Is it possible to turn off features in HEM 2 to make it less demanding on your computer ?

Thanks

fozzy71
02-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Good point .

Do you have an rough date for when support will stop for HEM 1?

Is it possible to turn off features in HEM 2 to make it less demanding on your computer ?

Thanks

We have not made an official announcement about when HM1 support will end.

There are things that can be done in HM2 if you are having performance issues but it is generally more resource intensive than HM1 by design to take advantage of modern computers. This is why the HM2 reports/filters are so much faster than HM1 and our competitors. For HM2 we recommend an i5 or i7 CPU and 4+ GB of RAM (the more, the better).

The other issues you may end up having with only a 64gb SSD are free space issues if you import any significant amount of hands and are using NoteCaddy.

Moonpig
02-20-2014, 07:48 AM
I understand you guys need to sell new software to cover the updating cost and running cost.

However after searching the Internet, lots of people rank the available poker software in this order

HEM1 > PK3 > PK4 > HEM2

I would be very happy to pay a yearly subscription to keep support active for HEM 1, it might be worth asking the community if anybody else is willing pay. As a lot of people fear change and are very happy with what they already have.

Thanks

fozzy71
02-20-2014, 02:27 PM
I understand you guys need to sell new software to cover the updating cost and running cost.

However after searching the Internet, lots of people rank the available poker software in this order

HEM1 > PK3 > PK4 > HEM2

I would be very happy to pay a yearly subscription to keep support active for HEM 1, it might be worth asking the community if anybody else is willing pay. As a lot of people fear change and are very happy with what they already have.

Thanks

We have no plans to charge for additional HM1 support since it wasn't part of the EULA when customers bought HM1 and our developer's time is better spent working on improving HM2 and the new HM Cloud platforms. Ever since HM2 was released over 2 years ago we have been saying that HM1 support will eventually end, similar to the following quote:

HM1 only receives critical fixes to existing features going forward. We will continue to support the HM1 parser, table scanner, and will also address any other critical bugs in HM1. This will be ongoing for an extended period of time but we have not yet established a firm date.