PDA

View Full Version : 3 way all in ev question

bballwiz
01-05-2014, 08:33 AM
I was wondering if this is a bug or just is the way it's supposed to be. Button open a sb shoves all in bb over calls and the button calls as well. (Button and bb still have chips remaining) it is then checked down and sb wins. How come no equity is gained on the all in, in this scenario?

Also isn't there supposed to be equity gained on the bubble of a sng when a short stack doubles up against the other player at the table (not you but the other opponent) I could be wrong about that one though.

fozzy71
01-05-2014, 01:03 PM
The first issue is by design - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/120/EV+Explained

Some important things to note about EV:

All-in EV is only calculated based on hands which were all in before the river since equity on the river will always be 0% or 100%. Hence, the river is irrelevant.

If you get 95% of your stack in on the turn and the final 5% in on the river, then it takes your equity on the street you got all in on.

Note: EV is calculated at the point in which everyone is all-in. Calculating it any other way would be biased since we don't know what hands people might have folded.

Example: You have JJ VS two other players with larger stacks with AK and QQ. You get all in, the other players call. Flop is AK5 and QQ folds, is your pre-flop EV 55% (pair VS AK) or 20% (JJ VS QQ and AK)? We can't know because we don't know what people fold.

For the second issue, please send us a HH file for a tournament where this happens and we can have our testers take a close look at the hand in question. I am not very proficient with EV questions so will need to forward it to our testers and they will likely want an example hand so they can look at the EV calculations.

Please zip and email the problem hand histories, with a link to this thread and your forum name, to support@holdemmanager.com

All original hands that are auto-imported get moved to an archive for performance reasons. Your \HMArchive is likely not in your \Holdem Manager directory. We normally suggest you use C:\HMArchive, but you may have put it anywhere. The archive should be organized by \Month\DayOfMonth (example: D:\HMArchive\2009\07\31).