PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to PostgreSQL thru Database Control Panel

Alizona
07-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Background: Downloaded HM ver. "e" yesterday along with PostgreSQL for the first time each. No prev. experience with either. Installed as per guide. No problems at all during 3-4 hours of online play. Don't think I ever quit HM and tried to restart it. Everything worked perfectly including hand replay module. Superb stuff.

Today: (Edit: All of this happens on ver. "e" this morning, same thing repeatedly. I later upgrade to "g" with exact same results.) HM will not start. Obv not well-versed in the program yet, but it appears I arrive at the "Database Control Panel" and fail to connect to postgreSQL database. Screenshots of popup sequence below. When I click "CONNECT" button, I get the last screen and cannot proceed. I read thru numerous FAQ entries and forum posts trying to find answer... let's see if I can summarize. Did not reinstall .NET (afraid to mess with it if it isn't truly broken, why would HM work last night and today it is suddenly corrupt?)... User Account Control is off... Admin acct. running... two HM .exe's checked, grayed out... checked to see if PostgreSQL Database was running in Vista "Services", Status is blank and Startup Type is "Automatic"... Firewall is standard Vista issue, added HoldemManager.exe and pgAdmin III to exclusion list... Do not run any virus protect at all (good test bed here, u can rule that theory out - how about Windows Defender?)... Not sure what else to add, please ask questions and/or request files. Have not done any uninstall/reinstall etc. until I receive feedback on which prog I should start with. TYVM -Al

P.S. One question - during PostgreSQL setup, I used the standard username/password as shown in the screenshot below. However, during setup another, secondary, UN/PW was requested and I personalized that one. Where is that used, exactly? Should I be entering that combo here instead perhaps? I did try, same thing happened.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o172/asb3pe/HM/e1.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o172/asb3pe/HM/e2.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o172/asb3pe/HM/e3.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o172/asb3pe/HM/e4.jpg

Alizona
07-24-2008, 02:18 AM
What exactly is the "transport connection".

I had a bit of a breakthru, but still have errors.

After brainstorming a bit, I went into my Vista Start Menu and found the PostgreSQL 8.2 folder. I clicked on "pgAdmin III" which started up a Database control panel. Once that opened up, I clicked "Tools" and then clicked on "Start Service" (there are other ways, right click on the server and select Start Service, etc). Then I ran HM and it went further than it has all day, but when I try to do anything in it, I keep getting "Unable to read data from the transport connection; existing connection forcibly closed by remote host" error popups.

Do I need to start the database beforehand every time prior to running HM? Shouldn't this be happening automatically? Why am I still getting database errors even tho I finally got HM up and running? Appreciate any assistance.

morny
07-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi, this is usually due to a firewall / anti virus type program getting in the way of the communication between HM and the Postgresql database, if possible can you disabled them after rebooting and before starting HM and see if it still causes a problem?

Reinstalling PostgreSQL might solve the problem but if it is the above then it will probably return eventually

Alizona
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi, this is usually due to a firewall / anti virus type program getting in the way of the communication between HM and the Postgresql database, if possible can you disabled them after rebooting and before starting HM and see if it still causes a problem?

Reinstalling PostgreSQL might solve the problem but if it is the above then it will probably return eventually

Well like I said in my intial post here morny, I do not run antivirus on my rigs, ever. I run a scan from time to time, but it is NEVER resident in memory. AV is a waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned.

So at least in my case, we can rule that out.

I cannot believe that the standard issue Vista firewall is the problem here. As I also stated, I granted exclusions to HoldemManager.exe and pgAdminIII in the firewall.

When I get home from work tonight I'll turn the firewall off, reboot, and try HM again. But seriously - if your program can't work with the Vista firewall... that wouldn't be good. :)

Thx for the reply.

morny
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
checked to see if PostgreSQL Database was running in Vista "Services", Status is blank and Startup Type is "Automatic
If the status is blank then it looks like its not started and HM wont work unless PostgreSQL is running. Please follow the following step to start the service:

checked to see if PostgreSQL Database was running in Vista "Services", Status is blank and Startup Type is "Automatic

It does work with firewalls but sometimes they cause issues, the reason i wanted you turn any firewalls/antiviruses off is just to test and see if this is indeed whats causing the problem if the step above dosent work.

Alizona
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
If the status is blank then it looks like its not started and HM wont work unless PostgreSQL is running. Please follow the following step to start the service:

It does work with firewalls but sometimes they cause issues, the reason i wanted you turn any firewalls/antiviruses off is just to test and see if this is indeed whats causing the problem if the step above dosent work.

Ok, I turned off Windows Vista firewall, cold reboot, and lo and behold, HM started up like a charm.

Odd. I did give exclusion to pgAdmin III as well as HoldemManager.exe in the Firewall previously in an attempt to get it working, but that didn't help. Turning the thing off completely did... so what does this mean now? Am I not giving an exclusion to the correct program perhaps? Which ones am I suppose to grant it to? Or am I supposed to unblock the 5432 port maybe? There's no way I'm going to shut down my firewall during my lengthy poker sessions! I may not run AV at all, but I'd sure as heck never be online without the FW.

Appreciate the help Morny, we're getting there. :)

P.S. I checked thru the FAQ one more time, and the only one that seems related to this is #34. Should I try the last bit of advice, delete the "postmaster" file? Will that help me ya think?

"Then after the computer reboots go to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data and delete the postmaster.pid file then restart holdem manager. If you get the error again repeat the step above to restart the postgres service."

Alizona
07-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Appreciate the help Morny, we're getting there. :)

I guess I was wrong... we're not getting there - we ARE there!! I restarted the Vista FW after HM was running again, did a cold reboot and HM manager is still working perfectly with the FW now on again.

This is really weird behavior... I did nothing but turn the FW off and on, with a couple of reboots, and that fixed everything? Oh well, as long as it doesn't crop up again, I'm good to go! From what I gather in reading about this the past few evenings tho, I guess I should be prepared for not "if" it happens again, but "when". :) At least I think I know how to fix it now (I hope)!

Thanx again, I gotta go play now, this cost me a night of my free trial! ;)

morny
07-24-2008, 08:54 PM
It might not have been the firewall at all, PostgreSQL service was not running so the reboot may have started it. I was supposed to give you a link to a FAQ on how to start it manually but looks like i forgot to paste it lol.

Link to this FAQ http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=34

Just in case you need it again.

Alizona
07-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Oh I've rebooted many times during this sequence. It wasn't the reboot, it was turning the FW off, then on again. I hope it's that easy next time! Thanx again.

Alizona
07-26-2008, 01:39 AM
This problem is still intermittant and still related to my Vista FW, apparently. I can fix it temporarily by FWoff-reboot-FWon and run HM but after a while of play I get the following popup and from then on I can't connect to the database, I get additional, different "Unable to read data from the transport connection" error popups. The only apparent fix is a FW shutdown and reboot (does not work without the reboot unfortunately, I tried that), but since rebooting would cause me to leave my suddenly profitable (thanks to HM!) tables, I really can't do that so I end up running without it for a while until I begin to regret the lack of data...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o172/asb3pe/e5.jpg

As much as I love HM and as much as it has improved my game, I'm sorry to say I can't begin to think about a purchase after my trial with these issues. Still not sure if the root cause is on my end or something in the s/w going awry. The way I look at it is, if the program cannot work with the stock Vista FW then it has some issues that need to still be looked at and remedied. But I'm sure since not everyone is experiencing this rather fatal issue, you have to think it is on my end somehow. I dunno - I don't seem to be the only one with this either, esp if you include the AV folks with problems too! I hope any feedback I can offer will help you decipher what is going on here. Thanks.

Oh, the other thing - perhaps a root cause of these problems - is, why is PostreSQL Database listed in my Vista Services as "Automatic"? And the status is blank. We never figured that out - how can I get the status so its always running? Are PostgreSQL issues out of your realm, or control? I really don't know much about it either, no idea how to change the Service, can't find any command to change it. When I right click and try to "Start Service", it hangs for a long while, then tells me "the service started, but shut down because no program is currently using it". Huh? Weird. Even does that when I change the "Automatic" setting to something else ("Start" I think).

Alizona
07-26-2008, 02:09 AM
Hmm, I may have missed something... I found this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=1535&page=798) (#7973) from Roy on 2+2:

It is almost always one of 3 things with Stars

1) You have not started Auto Import
2) if all your imports are showing up as errors then you may have a DB issue - email me at support@holdemmanager.net
3) If you are on Vista then make sure holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe have administrator access
4) Make sure hand histories are being saved in english

Even tho he's talking about the UAC/Admin rights stuff in #3, I brainstormed and decided to grant hmhud.exe an exception in my FW (which I had not done, just holdemmanager.exe). HM fired right up, and so far (knock on wood) it's working with no transport connection errors. Oh please let it be this simple! :) Will update in a few days even if it's fixed, just so you know. Thx.

Alizona
07-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, it just popped up again, the tranport connection error. I went about 18 hours error-free before it just happened again now. I thought I had fixed this but I guess not... Sigh. I think I'm out of solutions.

morny
07-27-2008, 01:44 PM
If the problem is still happening now, if you go into the control panel, admin tools and services, when you scroll to PostgreSQL Database what is the status. Is it started if not just right click and choose start.

This happens me occassionaly and this usually sorts it out without having to reboot. Now it still may be the firewall and if the above dosent work maybe youll want to consider turning off the built in firewall and using an alternative like Zonealarm free to see if it definetely is the firewall.

Alizona
07-28-2008, 09:48 AM
If the problem is still happening now, if you go into the control panel, admin tools and services, when you scroll to PostgreSQL Database what is the status. Is it started if not just right click and choose start.

Status is "blank" and it is set to "Automatic" for startup type.

When I right click and select "Start", I get the following popup after a long delay:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o172/asb3pe/HM/e6.jpg

I can't seem to find any way to get the database status set to anything other than a blank. I've already read more documentation on this "PostgreSQL" stuff than I care to read, with no luck.

morny
07-28-2008, 05:01 PM
I know its probably not ideal but it might be worth turning off the firewall and trying a free alternative like i suggested above.

Alizona
07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
I know its probably not ideal but it might be worth turning off the firewall and trying a free alternative like i suggested above.

I appreciate all you've done (and are doing) to help Morny.

However, here's my take on this (as I've stated before)...

I love Holdem Manager. I think it's a WONDERFUL program, and is extremely useful (almost invaluable) to a serious poker player looking to improve their game.

However, if the software will not work with the stock Vista Firewall, then I have to say it is a BAD program, with flawed programming code somewhere in it.

Perhaps I'm off base here, and perhaps there is some reason that the firewall is conflicting with HM that is outside of the programmers' control. But given what I know, I can only say that it's HM that's not playing nice with Vista's FW, and not vice versa.

You guys either have to figure this out or you're not going to get a purchase from me... and that's a total shame, because I love the program otherwise. I wasn't even going to try the "other competition" given what I've read about both.

Again, I appreciate all your efforts in assisting those of us with problems, but I hope you pass along to whomever should know that this "little" issue with Firewall (and perhaps AntiVirus) software is unacceptable and is costing you buyers of your product.

I have run other firewalls in the past, including Zone Alarm (which is an awful piece of bloatware), and have no plans to switch just so a certain other piece of software will operate on my machine.

The thing I don't understand here is... why is the firewall even at issue here? Is HM accessing the internet for some reason? Why? Isn't everything based on text files that the poker site updates and drops onto my hard drive every few seconds? Why does HM have to access the internet and interact with the firewall for that?

Or am I way off base, and it's the communication between the database and HM that the firewall is objecting to? Why would the firewall care about that anyway?

I'm kinda stumped here with all this stuff. It really just doesn't make sense to me on many levels.

morny
07-29-2008, 06:50 PM
This happens me occassionaly and this usually sorts it out without having to reboot. Now it still may be the firewall and if the above dosent work maybe youll want to consider turning off the built in firewall and using an alternative like Zonealarm free to see if it definetely is the firewall.

My reference to that was to my original suggestion was to switch to an alternative to see if it is definitely the problem, i only suggested Zone Alarm because i use it and ive never had a problem with it. the vast majority of people can use it with these but some people, mostly Vista users from what ive seen seem to have an intermitting problem which is hard to recreate since it happens to very few people.

Kuthbert
08-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi,

Exactly the same problem here. Tried all the same sollutions. Purchased program a couple of months ago. Never had any problems untill now. Haven't played in a month due to travelling. Now I just got back, moved to new adress and the damn program just keeps saying:

"the following error occurred when trying to open the database; unable to read data from the transport connection: an existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

When I try to strart the service manually (as it is always "stopped"), i get the same popup Alizona gets.

I tried turning off the firewall.
I did all of the things one should do when using vista.

Never got it working for even one second though.
That is probably the only difference between the problems I'm havign and the one described by alizona.

Please help?

(Alizona: have you given up by now?)

Kuthbert
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi again,

After spending yet another few hours searching for solutions and shouting at my computer, I noted the following:

The only time I seem to be able to access holdem manager without getting the popup described above, is when trying to start the postgre service.
Not after starting it (because that always fails) but while trying to.

After a few minutes without errors (5 minuts top) the original popup reappears.
("the following error occurred when trying to open the database; unable to read data from the transport connection: an existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.")

This might not help you at all but I'm pretty damn hopeless.

Kind regards,
K.

morny
08-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Can you try one thing that worked for a similar problem for some people. Close HM, and in that screenshot where you see the PostgreSQL service, right click and choose Properties, then go to the log on TAB and choose "local system account", you might want to note the postgres name which is something like ./postgres or looking at your screenshot yours is /.postgresuser

Also maybe try doing a reboot after changing it to "local system account"

Alizona
08-06-2008, 01:20 AM
I've been using version "m" for a number of days, and my trial is just about over.

I'm going to purchase Holdem Manager because it does appear like you guys are very responsive and actively looking into each and every bug report.

I no longer get too many tranport connection errors. They do happen, but only as a consequence of Unhandled Exception Errors (UEE). Once I get a UEE, then the TC errors start, and I have to reboot to get HM to work again (obv a problem if I'm multitabling).

The good news is that I've narrowed down the UEE to a specific thing - it always seems to happen when I'm using the "Preflop Cards" tab. It doesn't happen often, maybe once every two or three nights, and it seems to happen when I have a lot of hands tabulated (I like to use the "After" time setting and follow a single tournament's play in HM). Sometimes the second I switch to the Preflop Hands tab the UEE pops up... other times it's when I'm clicking out of the tab back to the Hands tab. Other times it's when I'm refreshing my hands.

I'm not sure if it happens on both the "Cash Games" tab and the "Tourneys" tab, my experience with HM has mainly been using the Tourneys side of it.

I do wonder if this has something to do with my video card (Nvidia 8800 GTX) so I'm updating my drivers. I'll also jump to version "p" after I purchase.

Thanks for all your help morny, keep improving the product little by little!

Kuthbert
08-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Hi,

Switching it to "local system account" worked!
Now I finally have the program running again.

Only problem now is that the hud isn't willing to show any stats.
HM imports the hands succesfully and the hud presents two stats in the upper left corner. (avg vpip and avg pot)
No individual stats!

Almost there though!
Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot,
K.

morny
08-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Alizona, next time can you post the unhandled exceptions error for us so well have a better idea of whats causing it.

Kuthbert, can you have a look in the FAQ, go to topics and look for poker site > Configuration by Site which has individual instructions for each poker site on how to set everything up, follow that and if you still have problems post a new thread with all the details of what you tried and as much info as possible along with your config file.

Kuthbert
08-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Perfect!

Service status is still blank (not 'started' as it should be) but HM doens't seem to bother.

Morny: thanks for all you've done.

Ciao,
K

ebi
08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
If you select to not try to start the service it still tries to: http://screencast.com/t/ULiWcXow

ton1
08-12-2008, 11:17 AM
can you try one thing that worked for a similar problem for some people. Close hm, and in that screenshot where you see the postgresql service, right click and choose properties, then go to the log on tab and choose "local system account", you might want to note the postgres name which is something like ./postgres or looking at your screenshot yours is /.postgresuser

also maybe try doing a reboot after changing it to "local system account"

worked!

Alizona
08-13-2008, 08:28 PM
text deleted

Alizona
08-13-2008, 08:29 PM
text deleted

Alizona
08-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Alizona, next time can you post the unhandled exceptions error for us so well have a better idea of whats causing it.

Ok, I had one of the crashes.

I know I'm behind on upgrading.

Background: I had just clicked from Cash to Tourney, went into my Hands screen, changed the time filter to "After xx:xx", and clicked on Preflop Cards to do the same thing... as soon as the mouse click on the PFC tab, the error popup appears. HEM is done until I reboot now. I can't just re-fire it up.

Screenshot:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o172/asb3pe/HM/HEM-UEE.jpg

Text of "Details" box:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.IO.BufferedStream.ReadByte()
at Npgsql.NpgsqlState.<ProcessBackendResponses_Ver_3>d__a.MoveNext()
at Npgsql.NpgsqlState.IterateThroughAllResponses(IEnu merable`1 ienum)
at Npgsql.NpgsqlConnectedState.Startup(NpgsqlConnecto r context)
at Npgsql.NpgsqlConnector.Open()
at Npgsql.NpgsqlConnectorPool.GetPooledConnector(Npgs qlConnection Connection)
at Npgsql.NpgsqlConnectorPool.RequestPooledConnectorI nternal(NpgsqlConnection Connection)
at Npgsql.NpgsqlConnectorPool.RequestPooledConnector( NpgsqlConnection Connection)
at Npgsql.NpgsqlConnectorPool.RequestConnector(Npgsql Connection Connection)
at Npgsql.NpgsqlConnection.Open()
at HoldemManager.ଔ.๩()
at HoldemManager.ଔ.๡()
at HoldemManager.ଚ.ෳ(String ෞ)
at HoldemManager.ଚ.ෲ(Object ՘, TabStripTabChangingEventArgs ՙ)
at DevComponents.DotNetBar.TabControl.InvokeSelectedT abChanging(TabStripTabChangingEventArgs e)
at DevComponents.DotNetBar.TabControl.Ꮋ(Object ׂ, TabStripTabChangingEventArgs ׃)
at DevComponents.DotNetBar.TabStrip.ᎊ(MouseEventArgs ׃)
at DevComponents.DotNetBar.TabStrip.OnMouseDown(Mouse EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevComponents.DotNetBar.TabStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
HoldemManager
Assembly Version: 1.6.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.6.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Games/Holdem%20Manager/HoldemManager.exe
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
DevComponents.DotNetBar2
Assembly Version: 7.3.0.1
Win32 Version: 7.3.0.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Games/Holdem%20Manager/DevComponents.DotNetBar2.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
HMClass
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Games/Holdem%20Manager/HMClass.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
DeployLX.Licensing.v3
Assembly Version: 3.1.2000.0
Win32 Version: 3.1.2000.19165
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Games/Holdem%20Manager/DeployLX.Licensing.v3.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Web
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll
Softelvdm.SftTreeNET
Assembly Version: 2.0.5.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.5.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Games/Holdem%20Manager/Softelvdm.SftTreeNET.DLL
Softelvdm.Controls
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.8
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.8
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Games/Holdem%20Manager/Softelvdm.Controls.DLL
Npgsql
Assembly Version: 1.98.4.0
Win32 Version: 1.98.4.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Games/Holdem%20Manager/Npgsql.DLL
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Transactions
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
Mono.Security
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Games/Holdem%20Manager/Mono.Security.DLL
ZedGraph
Assembly Version: 5.1.0.621
Win32 Version: 5.1.0.621
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Games/Holdem%20Manager/ZedGraph.DLL
Microsoft.mshtml
Assembly Version: 7.0.3300.0
Win32 Version: 7.0.3300.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.mshtml/7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.mshtml.dll
Acid Library
Assembly Version: 1.3.2734.23020
Win32 Version: 1.3.2734.23020
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Games/Holdem%20Manager/Acid%20Library.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

morny
08-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Can you try this: http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=153

Solves the problems for some people. The problem is that postgreSQL wont start, its set to automatic and should start automatically however for a few people it wont start, when postgreSQL wont start then Holdem Manager wont run. It might be worthwhile visiting the postgreSQL forum and posting your problem if that solution dosent work.

morny
08-16-2008, 06:22 PM
The last post was in response to your original question but i think you deleted it since.

Regarding the error: Have you got PostgreSQL 8.0? If yes please update to this to fix this problem: http://www.rvgsoftware.com/hm/hmupdate1.06.01u2.exe

Although i think youll find postgreSQL has stopped again so try restarting it, or stopping and starting it and the error should go away.

Alizona
08-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Update:
I uninstalled everything yesterday morning - both HEM and PostgreSQL. Reinstalled everything from scratch, and upgraded my PostgreSQL from v8.2 to v8.3.3.1.

At the risk of cursing my good fortune, I've now gone 24 hours without an Unhandled Exception Error crash of HEM. That's an eternity compared to what I was experiencing previously.

You may have been right Morny, it may have been either a corrupt install of PostgreSQL or else the upgrade to the newer version has helped. Either way, if you never hear back from me after this post, you will know the program is working flawlessly for me now... knock on wood. :D Thanks!