PDA

View Full Version : Mobile/tablet holdem manager?

LeviJ88
02-18-2011, 11:56 PM
I want to get a more convenient online poker setup to carry around with me besides my laptop. I'm thinking of getting some sort of tablet with 3G, something that can install full tilt, pokerstars, holdem manager, etc.

I have the rush app for my android.. but I'm bored of that. I'd like to 1-table some higher stakes games with my HUD.

I'm just wondering what others are doing, does anyone have a nice set up? Or are we all still waiting for better technology (tablets etc.) to come out.

Veteran68
02-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Well, to run the poker clients or HEM will not only require a Windows tablet, but one of considerable horsepower. While Microsoft has entered the tablet fray, Android and iOS are ruling the tablet roost, and IMO Windows 7 (unless they cut it way down or use Windows Mobile) is too fat for typical tablet hardware. And if they cut it down much or use WM, you'll find it incompatible with HEM anyway. Not to mention that HEM+PostgreSQL are considerable resource hogs on their own (especially in I/O, not even talking about the CPU cycles the HUD requires). To run Windows on a tablet well enough to support that is going to require more hardware and thus a less portable footprint than current Android/iOS devices, and I don't think the public will accept that.

People are having some success with using their Android/iOS tablets as a Remote Desktop client to control a desktop PC running HEM and poker clients. It's not without its frustrations however, both due to the lag of the remote connection and the fact that poker clients tend not to be finger friendly on such a small screen (bet sliders and such).

LeviJ88
02-19-2011, 05:33 AM
I've tried the remote desktop thing on my android as well, I actually like the controls. You control your mouse cursor, it doesn't turn your pc into a touch screen. The problem is the lag tho, when you d/c from your pc, your pc is still connected to the site and your hand is folded without ever getting more time. And the bandwidth usage is through the roof since it's a live video feed, and not just data.

I guess I will continue to wait for a solid windows tablet.

Veteran68
02-20-2011, 09:03 PM
I've tried the remote desktop thing on my android as well, I actually like the controls. You control your mouse cursor, it doesn't turn your pc into a touch screen.
Of course it doesn't turn your PC into a touch screen. But you're controlling the PC's mouse cursor through your device's touch screen. Try click-and-hold movements like moving a bet slider in fine increments. It can be very frustrating on some sites, especially when you have to zoom in/out to even grab the right controls. That's what I meant about poker clients not being finger-friendly on mobile devices. If you were using a full-size touch screen monitor, then no, it wouldn't be very tough.

Kidam
03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Bump!

Patvs
03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
If the tablet supports Windows 7 or Windows 8 it should be possible.

We have no plans to support specific tablet OS systems.

Farinait458
04-18-2014, 03:54 AM
Wondering a Win tablet with 8/4 core processor 3GB ram and 64GB flash drive is int enough for HM?

or paring the tablet with pc, does it still have big lag.. i will use it with wifi, no 3g.

Patvs
04-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Pairing the tablet, do you mean you'd run a remote database on a PC?
http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1791/How+can+a+database+be+accessed+by+two+or+more+comp uters+with+Holdem+Manager%3F

Also read this about HM Cloud: HM Cloud Support FAQs (http://www.proprofs.com/knowledgebase/home/?t=hm-cloud-support-faqs)

fozzy71
04-18-2014, 02:13 PM
I use HM Cloud on my Dell Venue Pro 8 tablet. I also installed and used HM2 briefly on it with a small database but I installed the postgresql database to my micro SDHC card to keep as much free space as possible on my 64GB C drive. I prefer to use HM Cloud on the tablet if I am actually going to play any hands since it only has 2gb of RAM.

Farinait458
04-19-2014, 10:11 AM
I see i thought the same, tablets are still weak for HM :)

but what if the HM is working on the PC and use tablet just as screen and control the PC from the tablet, kind of mirroring, there are some android apps, that allow you to connect to your PC :) you would ask why do this..? I got herniated disk and cant sit for long hours and have to move around. So i can buy some powerfull ultrabook and move around or with 12 inch octa core samsung tablet connect to the pc and use the tablet as screen :) I know its a bit weird, but if in theory it works i would definitely prefer the tablet.

fozzy71
04-19-2014, 11:33 AM
I use teamviewer to connect from my tablet or laptop to my desktop but it is difficult to control things on the 27" monitors from the 8" tablet screen. If you get a windows tablet and play cash games on one of the supported sites then HM Cloud is the way to go for playing from a tablet in my opinion.

Farinait458
04-19-2014, 04:13 PM
I use teamviewer to connect from my tablet or laptop to my desktop but it is difficult to control things on the 27" monitors from the 8" tablet screen. If you get a windows tablet and play cash games on one of the supported sites then HM Cloud is the way to go for playing from a tablet in my opinion.

I see, seems its early. I definitely would try HM Cloud, if there was SNG/MTT version! And would definitely buy windows tablet to run HM cloud for SNG.. i play only sngs, cant cash and dont want to mess around.. trying to transit to MTT and cash is no option. Are you working atm for sng cloud? :)

fozzy71
04-19-2014, 05:42 PM
HM Cloud only works for cash games currently. I do not have an ETA for when tournament support will be added.

You should be able to use HM1 or HM2 HUD playing a table or two on a windows tablet with 3gb of RAM as long as you don't import a lot of hands and take up all your free space with the postgresql database. It can't really hurt anything to give it a try. I only play cash games so I use HM Cloud since it uses a lot fewer resources on the tablet.