PDA

View Full Version : EV of a Decision

nickdundee
11-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Is it possible to get a report showing the EV of a decision from that point onwards? In other words if I filter for bottom pair on the flop my report might currently show a loss but this would be including preflop bets. I remember asking this when Holdem manager first came out and Roy said it would be possible to do via the reports but I can’t seem to find the correct option. Thanks for any help.

Al1
11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Is it possible to get a report showing the EV of a decision from that point onwards? In other words if I filter for bottom pair on the flop my report might currently show a loss but this would be including preflop bets. I remember asking this when Holdem manager first came out and Roy said it would be possible to do via the reports but I can’t seem to find the correct option. Thanks for any help.

If you go to Reports and click the "+" symbol, you can add some EV stats. Is that what you search?

nickdundee
11-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Thoses EV stats seem to be for all in situations. I'll give an example. I raise to $6 preflop and get called. There is $12 in the pot and my opponent bets $10 on the flop and i fold. Currently if i filter this hand my $EV will show -$6, which was the amount i bet preflop but the EV for my decision on the flop is $0 as i folded. The EV of -$6 is laregly irrelevant, it's the EV of my flop decision i'd like to get. If there was a stat that could show the pot size on the flop, turn and river it would be a great help.

I tried to use the filter option and selected more filters. I then selected flop pot size >4.5 BB and< 5.5 BB so i'd know the flop size but the results showed loads of hands that had much more than 5.5BB in the pot on the flop. Is this a bug? I saved and closed and also hit refresh.

Al1
11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Thoses EV stats seem to be for all in situations. I'll give an example. I raise to $6 preflop and get called. There is $12 in the pot and my opponent bets $10 on the flop and i fold. Currently if i filter this hand my $EV will show -$6, which was the amount i bet preflop but the EV for my decision on the flop is $0 as i folded. The EV of -$6 is laregly irrelevant, it's the EV of my flop decision i'd like to get. If there was a stat that could show the pot size on the flop, turn and river it would be a great help.

I tried to use the filter option and selected more filters. I then selected flop pot size >4.5 BB and< 5.5 BB so i'd know the flop size but the results showed loads of hands that had much more than 5.5BB in the pot on the flop. Is this a bug? I saved and closed and also hit refresh.

Put your suggestion here: http://holdemmanager.uservoice.com/

About your filter, I am not sure, but perhaps the flop pot size is not only the flop starting pot size. Does it make sense?

nickdundee
11-25-2008, 07:13 PM
I applied the filter to a session i played today. I selected flop pot size less than 5.5BB and flop pot size greater than 4.5BB. The results showed at least 3 hands that had over 10BB in them after the preflop betting.

Al1
11-26-2008, 04:22 AM
I applied the filter to a session i played today. I selected flop pot size less than 5.5BB and flop pot size greater than 4.5BB. The results showed at least 3 hands that had over 10BB in them after the preflop betting.

Escalated to fabio (Support). He will answere asap.

fabio
11-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Does it work when you select 6 and 4 BB?

nickdundee
11-26-2008, 11:22 AM
No it still doesn't work. The exact filter was that i had middle,bottom or pocket pair and the flop pot size was between 4 and 6 BB. It returned 4 hands. I checked each hand in the replayer and the pot size after preflop betting was finished was 18BB for 3 hands and 16BB for the other hand.

I also tried the between 4 and 6 BB flop pot size filter without using a hand value filter but they were all wrong too.

nickdundee
11-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Any update on this. Is it a widespread bug or am i the only one getting it?

morny
11-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Ill escalate this to Roy to look into, thanks for pointing out

Rvg72
11-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Fixed in RC10

Less than for the pot size filter was being treated as more than. So you were actually returning hands that were more than 4.5 and more than 5.5

Thanks,

Roy

nickdundee
12-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks that seems to be working now.

My original question about the EV of a decision was never really answered though. In case I didn’t explain it well I’ll try again.

Say I filter for hands where I was OOP and I check/called the river. The report will likely show an overall loss on these hands, as the fact that I could only check/call means my hand wasn’t strong. Check/calling might still have been a much better option than check/folding though. I know I can filter for hands I check/folded on the River but that doesn’t give me an answer as to whether I should have check/folded the hands I check/called with, as there different hands.

Here’s another example. I’m playing heads up and when we reach the river there is $100 in the pot ($50 of which I contributed). I check and my opponent bets $50 and I call. Say this exact scenario happens 10 times and I win 3 of the pots. If I filter these hands in HM it will show a loss of $400 over the 10 hands. However if I had folded to my opponents bet on the river I would have lost $500, thus my decision to call in these hands on the river was a good one.

With so many filters available in HM I assume what I want is possible as it would surely be of great use to consider if the decision you made in a certain spot was better than just folding. Does anyone know if this is currently possible?

morny
12-01-2008, 07:29 PM
No HM currently isnt capable of this, it might be possible to work this out and write a custom report but if your not familiar with reports dont worry as well be releasing a report wizard that will allow anyone to build powerful custom reports to track things similar to what was mentioned

nickdundee
12-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Ok Thanks. Hopefully it can be done with a custom report as all that needs to be done is to minus what the hero has already invested in the pot at the decision point.