PDA

View Full Version : Can not install HEM - PostgreSQL Problems

AgileBeauce
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
I am trying to install HEM for the first time. I have heard so many good things about the product that I decided to finally go ahead and buy a copy. I downloaded the "Try for free" which I am assuming is the full version with a 14 day "use" period. Problem is, I can't get it to install.

I have gone through the list of what to do for installing HEM when you have PostgreSQL problems. I have deleted files, disabled firewalls (reluctantly - but I will not uninstall my anti-virus software just to install your program), added programs to the exceptions, edited files, etc. etc. etc., not to mention the 750 reboots to my computer (okay, so that might be just a bit of an exaggeration). I have been trying for a couple of days to get this thing to install with NO LUCK!!!

I have been a computer programmer for about 25 years (not current past 5 years), so I am not what you would call computer illiterate. I have gotten PostgreSQL to install and start (I have Apache Server so I can see the service is started.) I can also stop and restart PostgreSQL through Apache Services. I have also been able to install HEM, without PostgreSQL. But when I try and install the combo, it can't start the database. I also can not start the database through Apache Services after the HEM install until after I do a reboot. It always times out. After I reboot, I can start PostgreSQL, but because the HEM installation never finished, when I run HEM, it can't find the Holdem database. That's because the installation never got that far because it couldn't start PostgreSQL during the installation, so it never created the database. If I try to reinstall HEM, it recognizes that PostgreSQL is installed and running, so it won't install it again, and doesn't create the Holdem database.

I have tried many different things trying to debug this problem on my own, but it has really become a source of frustration. Is there any utility you have that will create the Holdem Database so I can get this thing working? I fear my free 14 days will be over before I even get this installed.

I can't understand how computer illiterate people ever get this thing installed. Seems to me you need at least a BS in Computer Science to get this thing working!

MadcowUK1
02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
I also have exactly the same problem i just got a new laptop so installing hem for the first time on this laptop and it also has created a Hem profile when the laptop opens up and you go to log in !!! unreal . how the hell does that happen guys ?

anyways can someone help me out please

fozzy71
02-16-2011, 12:03 PM
I am trying to install HEM for the first time. I have heard so many good things about the product that I decided to finally go ahead and buy a copy. I downloaded the "Try for free" which I am assuming is the full version with a 14 day "use" period. Problem is, I can't get it to install.

I have gone through the list of what to do for installing HEM when you have PostgreSQL problems. I have deleted files, disabled firewalls (reluctantly - but I will not uninstall my anti-virus software just to install your program), added programs to the exceptions, edited files, etc. etc. etc., not to mention the 750 reboots to my computer (okay, so that might be just a bit of an exaggeration). I have been trying for a couple of days to get this thing to install with NO LUCK!!!

I have been a computer programmer for about 25 years (not current past 5 years), so I am not what you would call computer illiterate. I have gotten PostgreSQL to install and start (I have Apache Server so I can see the service is started.) I can also stop and restart PostgreSQL through Apache Services. I have also been able to install HEM, without PostgreSQL. But when I try and install the combo, it can't start the database. I also can not start the database through Apache Services after the HEM install until after I do a reboot. It always times out. After I reboot, I can start PostgreSQL, but because the HEM installation never finished, when I run HEM, it can't find the Holdem database. That's because the installation never got that far because it couldn't start PostgreSQL during the installation, so it never created the database. If I try to reinstall HEM, it recognizes that PostgreSQL is installed and running, so it won't install it again, and doesn't create the Holdem database.

I have tried many different things trying to debug this problem on my own, but it has really become a source of frustration. Is there any utility you have that will create the Holdem Database so I can get this thing working? I fear my free 14 days will be over before I even get this installed.

I can't understand how computer illiterate people ever get this thing installed. Seems to me you need at least a BS in Computer Science to get this thing working!

We can extend your trial simply enough once we get postgresql installed.

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Make sure windows is fully updated and change your Windows Control Panel > Regional Settings Format to English (USA).

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) Install PostgreSQL 8.3.9 from this link - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Postgres_8.3.9-v1.0.7.exe

If that one fails, try the following steps:

Uninstall any/all 3rd party security software, enable windows firewall with recommended settings, and use microsoft security essentials for antivirus/malware.

Disable UAC - Disable User Account Control (UAC) the Easy Way on Win 7 or Vista - How-To Geek (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/)

restart your pc

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

net user postgres /delete
4) reboot.
5) Download and UnZip this file to a new folder. http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgresql-8.2.15-1.zip
6) Then run the postgresql-8.2.msi file and follow these instructions - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/70/Reinstall+PostgreSQL

Install it to a new folder, such as C:\PostgreSQL instead of the default path.

I also have exactly the same problem i just got a new laptop so installing hem for the first time on this laptop and it also has created a Hem profile when the laptop opens up and you go to log in !!! unreal . how the hell does that happen guys ?

anyways can someone help me out please

Remove User Accounts From the Logon Screen in Windows Vista - How-To Geek (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-user-accounts-from-the-logon-screen-in-windows-vista/)

MadcowUK1
02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
tried all the above guys still not working

AgileBeauce
02-16-2011, 03:16 PM
I use:

Windows Version: XP Professional
Service Pack Level 3

I use the Verizon Internet Security Suite (McAfee bundle for Verizon).

It includes both Anti-Virus and Firewall as well as other email/pc utilities. I do not use the Windows Firewall (added the exceptions as instructed, but don't have it turned on).

Are you saying the only way I can install your product is if I uninstall my Version/McAfee Anti-virus/Firewall software? You can't be serious. You must be aware of how buggy and insecure most of the Microsoft products are, including IE (have never used it), and their "security" software. I think I would rather not use your product if I have to rely on Microsoft for my security needs.

I also have other 3rd party virus/Malware products installed on my PC that I run if I suspect a breech somewhere. They are not automatically loaded at startup, but they are installed. I suppose you want me to uninstall all of those products too?

Patvs
02-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Yes, please uninstall ALL these products.

It's just as a test. (you can reinstall them if it turns out they don't cause the problems)
If they do, we can make a plan, how you can still use them, but make sure they don't monitor the PostgreSQL server.

fozzy71
02-17-2011, 05:31 PM
tried all the above guys still not working

Please email me at fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer session. Download the Teamviewer Quick Support Module - http://www.holdemmanager.com/teamviewer Please let me know what time zone you are in and what time/days are convenient for you. I schedule support from 9:00 - 18:00 EST, 7 days a week.

I use:

Windows Version: XP Professional
Service Pack Level 3

I use the Verizon Internet Security Suite (McAfee bundle for Verizon).

There is the problem.

Are you saying the only way I can install your product is if I uninstall my Version/McAfee Anti-virus/Firewall software? You can't be serious. You must be aware of how buggy and insecure most of the Microsoft products are, including IE (have never used it), and their "security" software. I think I would rather not use your product if I have to rely on Microsoft for my security needs. [/quote]

There are plenty of options available other than MsES, but it is simple to install, use, and provides no conflicts. AVG Antivirus (not their bundle), Avira Antivirus, ESET, Kaspesky are all other viable options that dont cause problems like the McAffee, Norton, and Comodo bundles.

I also have other 3rd party virus/Malware products installed on my PC that I run if I suspect a breech somewhere. They are not automatically loaded at startup, but they are installed. I suppose you want me to uninstall all of those products too?

I used win firewall and MsES ever since MsES came out. I ran monthly MBAM and SAS scans to be sure that MsES was doing a decent job, and now I dont use those additional scanners any longer. The key is to remove all possible conflicts and start with a clean slate in a condition we know should work. Once it is working you can try replacing/reinstalling the old software packages one at a time and test HM/SQL each time to find the problem if it arises again.