PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Lags Even With SSD when multitabling with HEM and TN

Drew1
10-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Laptop is

Asus u45jc-a1. Laptop specs are i3-370 processor and 4gb ram. Had 250gb hard drive but i went and got a 250gb Samsung Pro SSD hard drive b/c i was told i would not have any lagging at all when playing 20+ tables with HEM and TN on.

Well whenever i get close to that... my laptop lags and freezes a lot on pokerstars. Basically to the point where its moving so slow and lags a lot and im sitting out at my tables. Does anyone know why my laptop lags this much even with the ssd? I had thought with the ssd, i would not have any problems at all. I doubt its b/c its only an i3 processor?

Thing is back in the usa, my desktop was an i5 processor with 4gb ram. I used HEM and TN and rarely did i ever get any lag and playing 20+ tables. This was when i didn't have an SSD and the desktop while playing on stars back a few years ago... is faster than my laptop now with a samsung pro ssd.

Anyone know what i can do? I defrag my laptop every week. Maybe its the amount of processes that startup on my laptop?

Im very confused why this is happening b/c i thought ssd would solve any lagging or slowness while multabling on with HEM and TN.

Drew1
10-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Cpu usage is 50 percent.. 70 percent physical memory.. 2.65gb used and 103 processes

is what i see when pressing task manager when playing many tables

what should i do now then?

Someone on another forum tells me that since BF... HEM 1 and TN has made lot of changes and that means the processor i use back a few years ago isn't good enough?

I don't understand b/c i had thought buying an SSD would solve this problem.

Im in canada at the moment and before the left the usa... i made sure i bought an ssd and had a friend install it for me so when i get to canada, i wouldnt have any lagging issues... but im having a ton when i play a lot of tables...

fozzy71
10-13-2013, 12:13 PM
You should not defrag an SSD.

What processes in the Task Manager > Processes tab are using the most memory and CPU when the problems arise? If you play without TN do the problems go away?

How many hands are in your database? Do you have a lot of mined/observed hands in the database? How many stats are in the HUD? Does it help if you use a HUD with fewer stats?

Drew1
10-13-2013, 03:39 PM
You should not defrag an SSD.

What processes in the Task Manager > Processes tab are using the most memory and CPU when the problems arise? If you play without TN do the problems go away?

How many hands are in your database? Do you have a lot of mined/observed hands in the database? How many stats are in the HUD? Does it help if you use a HUD with fewer stats?

first off, isn't defraging once a week good? I thought you had to do it to make computer faster every week. I did this with my old hard drive as well... so with ssd i should never defrag?

I have about 110 processes now and i dont even have HEM or TN on at the moment. You want me to name all the processes? There are like a ton of chrome.exe, explorer.exe, postgres and a ton of other ones... theres 110 total....

It seems like once i stop HEM, the lagging isn't that bad. I always have TN On.

I have 100k hand in my database. I dont have any observed hands or anything like that. I dont watch other ppl play and then run hem if thats what you mean?

Hud stats are

vpip/pfr/af/steal
cb, fold to cbet, 3bet, fold to 3 bet
fold to bb/ BB/ hands

I also have the BB hands in big red bold letters on the top of each table...

fozzy71
10-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Defragging a SSD does not help anything and it just uses up read/write cycles. If your SSD came with a toolbox application you can use the included optimizer software but there is no reason to run a defrag tool. Those are designed for hard discs and will not help (and might hurt) solid state drives.

Can you just take a screen shot of the processes tab sorted my CPU and Memory so the ones using the most are at the top?Using 70% of your physical memory and all that CPU with HM1 and TN shut down seems excessive and I am wondering what is using the most.

I have 17 chrome tabs open, 12 opera tabs open, spreadsheets, music player, notepad++, tons of background programs I use for work (open office, snagit for screen shots, google drive, dropbox, etc) and I am only using 1% of my CPU. I am using 50% or my 9gb total memory though but even if I fired up HM2 and a poker client with a few tables open I wouldn't run into any issues.

Drew1
10-16-2013, 12:07 PM

This is how it looks like with basically just 2-3 web pages on. No poker site, no hem or tn on at all. I don't see it uses up much cpu usage though.

Drew1
10-16-2013, 04:35 PM

This is how it looks like with basically just 2-3 web pages on. No poker site, no hem or tn on at all. I don't see it uses up much cpu usage though.

This is task manager when a lot of tables are playing and the lag starts to come.

netsrak
10-17-2013, 04:08 AM
Generally a computer is just as slow as the slowest component. So if you CPU is some years old only changing from HDD to SSD will not have the same effect as on a newer Computer with a current CPU.
How was the performance before you installed the SSD.

Another problem could be your configuration of auto-import and archive folders. Can you add a screenshot of your configuration?

fozzy71
10-17-2013, 02:20 PM

This is task manager when a lot of tables are playing and the lag starts to come.

When posting pictures of the processes tab we need you to click on the Memory tab to sort in descending order so we can see which processes are using the most memory and increase the size of the window so we can see more processes listed - 10.17.2013-14.19.43 - fozzy71's library (http://screencast.com/t/nKG78Qn71)

If you continue to have problems, please reproduce the problem and attach your log.txt file with a detailed description of what you were doing and what problems you were experiencing - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1921/How+Do+I+Send+a+Log+File+to+Holdem+Manager+Support %3F

- To attach it to a thread in the forums, look below the post reply button when you start a new thread and you'll see a manage attachments button.
- Click this and attach the file.

Drew1
10-26-2013, 05:53 PM

Is this what you wanted by the configuration? For all of these, i see its all checked for import from subfolders when i click edit. Archive Folder is HMArchive. And its NOT CHECKED for disable archiving.

I haven't played poker on this laptop since black friday. Back then when i did... the laptop was fine with HEM and TN. However this was over 3 years ago and the other thing was i rarely liked to play on laptop b/c the screen is 14' only so i play on my desktop with a 20' monitor with 1600x1200 resolution. When i did play on the laptop, i think the most tables i did was 16 tables but rarely did i go over 12. Its tough playing that much on a small screen.

Drew1
10-26-2013, 06:10 PM

Is this what you want? I did this picture when im not playing any tables and not running HEM or TN. Well i do have them on but not playing any games at the moment. Do you need a copy of this when im playing my tables and then the lag starts and then copy and paste this?

fozzy71
10-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Which version of HM1 are you using?

Please update to the latest version - http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate_Release_1.13.02_10Oct2013.exe

Please give HoldemManager Administrator rights -

1) Go to C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager (Program Files (x86) if you have the 64bit version)
2) Right-click the HoldemManager.exe and choose "Properties".
3) Go to the Compatibility Tab and select "Run this program as an Administrator".
4) Do the same for HMImport.exe, HMHud.exe and DBControlPanel.exe

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Many of those free Norton, Mcaffee, Comodo, Zonealarm, Avira, Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, etc, 'internet security' bundles will not work well with Holdem Manager.

Please do the following steps, so we can get your computer to a state that we know will work with Holdem Manager:

1) Uninstall any 3rd party security software bundles.
2) Reboot your computer
3) Enable Windows Firewall's recommended settings through your Control Panel, turn off Windows Defender, and add firewall exceptions for HM and SQL - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/275/Windows+Firewall+%7B47%7D+Defender+Problems
4) Install Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus/malware protection and update it - Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/)

Is this what you wanted by the configuration? For all of these, i see its all checked for import from subfolders when i click edit. Archive Folder is HMArchive. And its NOT CHECKED for disable archiving.

I haven't played poker on this laptop since black friday. Back then when i did... the laptop was fine with HEM and TN. However this was over 3 years ago and the other thing was i rarely liked to play on laptop b/c the screen is 14' only so i play on my desktop with a 20' monitor with 1600x1200 resolution. When i did play on the laptop, i think the most tables i did was 16 tables but rarely did i go over 12. Its tough playing that much on a small screen.

Is this what you want? I did this picture when im not playing any tables and not running HEM or TN. Well i do have them on but not playing any games at the moment. Do you need a copy of this when im playing my tables and then the lag starts and then copy and paste this?

That pic shows 19% CPU use. Can you take another screen shot and sort by the CPU column so we can see what is using up the most CPU?

If the run as admin steps and replacing your av/fw as suggested above don't help I am not sure what else to suggest so maybe it is best if we just schedule a remote support session to try and find a solution for you and cut down on the back and forth on the forums.

Please email support@holdemmanager.com, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer session. Please let us know when you are available in GMT time for a teamviewer session - GMT – Greenwich Mean Time (http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/gmt.html)

Please remember that we schedule a couple days in advance and need to fit into our schedules. So give us a few days' range of times and notice.

Download the Teamviewer Quick Support Module - http://www.holdemmanager.com/teamviewer.

Please read this important information before our teamviewer session. We cannot do the teamviewer session until all those issues are addressed below:
1 - Make sure you have updated your windows using the "Windows Update" feature Microsoft Windows Update (http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5)
* - Make sure windows is fully updated until 'No New Important Updates are Found' (this may require multiple restarts and multiple 'check for updates'), including Internet Explorer 9 (even if you use a different web browser) and change your Windows Control Panel > Regional Settings Format to English (USA).
2 - Make sure Holdem Manager is updated to the latest version Downloads and Manuals - Hold'Em Manager, Omaha Manager & HM Apps (http://www.holdemmanager.com/store/downloads-manuals.php)
3 - Please make sure you have access to a good connection, we cannot provide support on really slow connections
4 - Please allow us full access otherwise it slows down the speed at which we can fix the issue