PDA

View Full Version : Moving Old Database to New Computer

bigt439
09-03-2013, 02:04 AM
Hi,

I love my old HM1 database and HUD so I would really like to keep everything in tact when I switch computers. I currently use HM1 v1.12.09 because updating to newer versions requires my database to be compacted and I don't think my old computer can handle that (it chugs along and only has 10 free GB). How do I best move everything from one computer to the other, while putting minimal strain on the old one?

I have an external hard drive with lots of memory and a firewire to send files between computers. My tech-savvy friend suggested exporting my database, which seems to turn the database back into text files which could theoretically be uploaded to HM1 on my new comp. This sounds like a decent idea, but I'm so bad with computers I'm not even sure how to do this, so I thought I'd check in here first and see what the forum recommended.

Sorry if this is a noobish question, but I'm totally lost when it comes to this stuff and really want to make sure I don't screw this up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sarek
09-03-2013, 05:06 AM
a) using so old HM version is bad idea. After it was released almost all poker sites has changed hand history formats etc. So I am wondering if you still can use that HM1 build.
b) After autoimport HM moves original HH files to archive folder.
Default path is C:\hmarchive
The best (and faster) you can do is:
Take this folder to the new PC,
install HM1, update it to the build of 05 august
create new empty database
and use Import folder feature - indicate that archive (or part of it)

bigt439
09-04-2013, 04:33 AM
a) using so old HM version is bad idea. After it was released almost all poker sites has changed hand history formats etc. So I am wondering if you still can use that HM1 build.
b) After autoimport HM moves original HH files to archive folder.
Default path is C:\hmarchive
The best (and faster) you can do is:
Take this folder to the new PC,
install HM1, update it to the build of 05 august
create new empty database
and use Import folder feature - indicate that archive (or part of it)

a) 1.12.09 tracks hands just fine for Stars and Party, and FTP only stopped working in June when they switched their hh's. I know using this old version is a bad idea and I've finally decided to sort this out once and for all.

b) I took my auto import archive folders (both C:\hmarchive and also a few other archive folders I created) and imported then on my new computer, but they only accounted for a very small portion of my database (e.g. 10K tourney hands for me in the past 2 years when I've played nearly 1 million). I am worried that I have manually or automatically deleted these archived hh's to save space. Would there be a copy of all the hh's somewhere else? If not, what is the best way to go about recreating my old database on my new computer at that point?

EDIT: They appear to be mostly hands from the last couple weeks so perhaps they're auto-deleting after about that time frame? Sorry again for knowing so little about this stuff and thank you for your help.

bigt439
09-05-2013, 12:54 PM
BUMP

I know this is a simple and probably annoying question, but I really am very lost and would appreciate it so much if someone could point me towards a guide for exporting databases or something. My database has over a million hands and is worth so much to me that I just can't imagine not having it on my new computer and I really am at a loss as to how to get it there. Thank you for any help!

Patvs
09-05-2013, 10:24 PM
All hands really should be in the archive folder.
So either you used a different archive folder in the past, or moved the old archive folder (to save disk space) or you deleted it.

No worries though, In HM1 go to Options--> Database Management--> Connect--> select your database--> EXPORT hands. This will export your million hands to .txt files.
Then import all files on the new computer.

bigt439
09-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Your initial advice was actually spot on and in the end worked very well for me. I was having some separate computer problems that were effecting the import, but once I resolved them your suggestion solved my problem. Thank you so much for your help.

fozzy71
09-08-2013, 02:50 PM
You are very welcome. Thank you for letting us know it solved your problems. It helps us when crafting future email replies to other customers with similar problems.

Good luck at the tables. If you have any questions or problems do not hesitate to ask us.