PDA

View Full Version : Error starting HEM

Jay-Dubya
11-19-2008, 11:00 AM
I get this error message when i try and open HEM:

The following error occured when trying to open the database: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

I click OK and it gives me 3 steps to make sure UAC is disabled and im running all programs as an administartor.
This has always been the case and nothing has changed.

I then get the database control panel which will not connect for the same reaons as above.

HEM working yesterday and nothing has changed on my computer. I dont understand why it's not working now!

Jay-Dubya
11-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Ok, I found this http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=171 and assume this is what I must do?

Is there no other way? This is a lot of hassle, unistalling all my firewall etc just because HEM decided to stop working today! Bit of a joke to be honest.

Is this ever likely to happen again?

morny
11-19-2008, 03:21 PM
The problem is caused by either the firewall/antivirus or more recently windows updates which seem to make changes to them that cause it in Vista. This blocks PostgreSQL from making a connection so its not something we can control at HM as its a Vista/Firewall/PostgreSQL issue

If you skip some of those steps it probably wont work so to save time do it exactly as proposed

Jay-Dubya
11-19-2008, 03:25 PM
I understand that it is out of your control but there must be another way to overcome the problem, rather then having uninstall and reinstall a lot of programs everytime there is an update!

morny
11-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Unless Vista or PostgreSQL change their programs which i expect they will theres not much we can do other than bypass it using the above solution, the problem very rarely happens with XP and if it does its usually a firewall or antivirus it really only became prominent since Vista so its something Vista will need to fix (one of many things that need fixing with Vista tbh)