PDA

View Full Version : Moving my PostgreSQL to another harddrive - Best way to do this?

Eclipse86
11-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Hey guys, so i've been purchasing a HH subscription's for the past couple months and so my databases/PostgreSQL folder have become quite large. I reckon im losing about 2 gigs a day of space due to importing a ton of hands so I may run out of space really soon at this rate.

However, I have a 2nd harddrive which is empty and has over 450 gigs of space. How would I go about moving my PostgreSQL over to this harddrive without screwing things up? Would it be as simple as just dragging the folder for PostgreSQL and moving it over to the new drive? Anything else I would need to do to make sure HEM would still work correctly if I did this?

gring000h
11-18-2008, 02:42 PM
it's in the FAQ

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx

Eclipse86
11-18-2008, 02:53 PM
hey, so from what I gather from the FAQ.
All I would need to do is too backup the HEM files and settings and HM notes.

Then use the backup function in PostgreSQL.

Then uninstall PostgreSQL from the C drive and install it in the D drive. Then restore the db via PostgreSQL?

Eclipse86
11-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Also would it be better performance wise if I just kept PostgreSQL on my C drive but created databases on my D drive?

Al1
11-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Also would it be better performance wise if I just kept PostgreSQL on my C drive but created databases on my D drive?

Mmm, part of the problem is that HM doesn't support multiple database currently.

Eclipse86
11-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Mmm, part of the problem is that HM doesn't support multiple database currently.

hmm in that case, is there anyway I could possible just move the DB to my D drive? and keep the rest of the PostgreSQL installation files on my C drive and have a config file pointing the program to my DB on my D drive?

How would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Al1
11-18-2008, 03:10 PM
hmm in that case, is there anyway I could possible just move the DB to my D drive? and keep the rest of the PostgreSQL installation files on my C drive and have a config file pointing the program to my DB on my D drive?

How would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know how to do this.
But you can ask this question in postgreSQL's forum I think.
Probably this link: http://www.postgresqlforums.com/forums/

And don't forget to share the solution if it works.

morny
11-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Ive done this a few times so ill expain.

Export Hands and/or Backup database, then uninstall and reinstall PostgreSQL, when you get to the installation page where it shows the folders and lets you choose your installation path which will be c:/program files/postgreSQL by default, highlight the data folder and choose browse this allows you to choose an alternative location for your data files (i.e your database) while postgreSQL will be installed on C.

To be honest it wont make much difference whether postgreSQL is on the C or D drive so you could just change the first main folder from C:\ to D:\ and it will auto change the installation path of all the folders below aswell as the data folder.

Also you dont really need the file in PostgreSQL\Pg_log which take up tons of space so you could delete that to free up some space too

Eclipse86
11-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Ive done this a few times so ill expain.

Export Hands and/or Backup database, then uninstall and reinstall PostgreSQL, when you get to the installation page where it shows the folders and lets you choose your installation path which will be c:/program files/postgreSQL by default, highlight the data folder and choose browse this allows you to choose an alternative location for your data files (i.e your database) while postgreSQL will be installed on C.

To be honest it wont make much difference whether postgreSQL is on the C or D drive so you could just change the first main folder from C:\ to D:\ and it will auto change the installation path of all the folders below aswell as the data folder.

Also you dont really need the file in PostgreSQL\Pg_log which take up tons of space so you could delete that to free up some space too

Thanks Morny, that was really helpful :)

Also a couple other questions.. Would it be better, performance wise, if I uninstalled and re-installed HEM (as well as the poker client softwares) onto my D drive as well so that PostgreSQL and HM wont be on different drives?

Eternal
07-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I am also curious about this as well. I currently have a 150 gig HD that is fast but is running out of space and I wonder if my performance will be slower if I use a Terabyte HD (which will be a slower HD) to run all my poker clients, HEM, postsql etc....

netsrak
07-22-2009, 02:20 PM
You should just move the postgresql data to the external HDD. Leave the programs where they are, thats better for the performance.