PDA

View Full Version : filtering for $won/lost in 3- and 4bet pots

gring000h
11-17-2008, 08:47 AM
I'd like to know how I can setup HEM to show me my results in 3- and 4bet pots in and out of position

thanks!

morny
11-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Well im presuming if you mention position your at least seeing a flop and arent counting hands that finish preflop. In such case youll need to divide it among several reports:

3bet In Position

More Filters
Did 3bet = True
Faced Preflop 4bet = false
Saw flop = true
Last to act on flop = true

Called 3bet In Position

More Filters
Called 3bet = True
Saw flop = true
Last to act on flop = true

Now there is some complications where there is more than 2 players but its a complicated filter and thats the best i can think of, from that youll easily be abke to configure a OOP and 4bet IP and OOP filter and possibly fine tune it

gring000h
11-17-2008, 12:26 PM
thanks for the quick reply, that helps as I wasn't really sure how to use the filters

but I do want to include hands that finish pre flop as well, as I want to know how well I'm doing by 3betting pre flop overall

should I just analyze these spots separately, like so:

More Filters
Did 3bet = True
Faced Preflop 4bet = false
Saw flop = false

and so:

More Filters
Did 3bet = True
Faced Preflop 4bet = true
Saw flop = false

and so:

More Filters
Did 3bet = True
Saw flop = true (which I assume represents me 5bet shoving as I never call 4bets pre flop)

or can I combine these filters some way?

and how do I distinguish between being in- and out of position pre flop with these filters when there's no flop play?

EDIT: the 5bet shoving comment makes no sense, but how do I distinguish between successfully and unsuccessfully 5betting pre flop?

morny
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah you probably need to look at all in preflop hands and 3bet hands that dont see a flop seperately as position dosent really matter so much.

To be honest the real power in these filters is drilling down, for example if you look at hands where you 3bet youll see its massively profitable and move on and say well done, most likely a mistake, now try drilling down to hands where you 3bet got called and cbet the flop, now have a look at the biggest losing hands, did you 3bet a nit and get all in with AJ on J high which was only beating a bluff against a nit, did you 3bet a station with 56s and spew with MP etc etc

Its this type of drilling down that is powerful and for the most part the overall filter is not that useful as its way too general, if your just looking at 3betting IP and 3betting OOP youll not find your leaks, drill down to include hand ranges/ hand strengths and actions you took raise/bet etc with different hand strengths and then look at biggest losing and winning hands within that sample and youll find leaks you never knew you had. Of course the problem is recognising what kind of range you should be and without a huge database this is hard to know but its what we address in the Plugging Leaks articles so keep and eye on them.

Sorry to get off topic and making assumptions though as you may have already had this in mind so to get back to your question on 5betting:

Raised preflop 4bet = true

You can narrow that further to hands which they folded and called your push by adding the All in preflop=true and false filters

gring000h
11-17-2008, 01:12 PM
ty for the elaborate reply, I appreciate it very much

I didn't really know how to start analyzing these spots in HEM and I now have a much better idea

I'll definitely drill down to look for leaks as you explained

but even though the information might not be as valuable and it won't help me improve my game, I am rather curious what my overall bottom line is in 3bet pots, as I feel I'm not doing as well as I should and it would be nice to compare it to my results over the next X amount of hands after maybe plugging some of my leaks like you explained

is there by any chance an easy way to find this out in HEM?

morny
11-17-2008, 03:23 PM
You can save and reload all the filters at a later date, its all discussed here: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=3

Yeah using the general filters is fine for an overall view as long as your also drilling down further aswell

Theres no easy way to confirm if your win rate is good or bad without comparing it to other winning tags, the bigger the database the better and the bigger the sample of the TAG the better. Well be doing all this for you in the plugging leaks articles but havent got around to it yet and we release one every couple of weeks