PDA

View Full Version : HH purge: db vacum: error message

maryjane
11-16-2008, 06:49 PM
purged hand histories: got message to vacum database: tried options in HM but would not work: as per faq went to postgre admin; selected db, maint. vacum, full analyze per faq; quickly received error message "invalid page header in block 16343 of relation "hand histories" ". click ok and it just comes back to same message again and again.

What can I do to vacum this db of the hhs I purged"|?

Thanks

morny
11-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Update to the newest Beta and this will allow you to rebuild the handhistories_pkey index, then try a vacuum again

Details of how to rebuild and index:
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=168

maryjane
11-17-2008, 02:42 AM
I dl the latest beta, but it does not solve this problem. I do not get an error message like the one you referenced.

I purged some hhs. I than tried to vacum the database from the options menu in HM. Got a message in HM that said there was an error and I would have to go to pgadmin in postgre to perform a manual vacum. I opened pgadmin, selected the database and from the drop down menu I selected maintenance. I than selected vacum and under vacum options I selected Full and Analyze. I than clicked OK, the process started but I quickly received an error message:

ERROR: invalid page header in block 16343 of relation "handhistories"

The vacum stops there. When I click OK it starts over at the beginning and stops here again. It does not ignore and continue with the vacum.

If you would like I can email you the text file. It is 52k.

Thanks

maryjane
11-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Thought you might have had some more time to examine and offer a solution.

All of those hand histories I purged are apparently still occupying space I need. Would really like to be able to complete a vacum.

thanks,

morny
11-28-2008, 03:03 AM
OK, If the index rebuilding dosent solve the problem youll need to export your HH from the database http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173 and then create a new database: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146 and then import the hands into the new database and it should let you do a vacuum without any problems then

maryjane
11-28-2008, 04:34 PM
I do not get an error message re: an error in any index like you depict in the FAQ, so I would not know which index to fix. I tried just clicking fix index button even though there was no fix index error message but, that did nothing. Is there a particular one I should try to fix to resolve the error message in original post(ERROR: invalid page header in block 16343 of relation "handhistories")?

Alternatively, could you tell me what this error message means: "ERROR: invalid page header in block 16343 of relation "handhistories" ? Could you tell me how to locate block 16343 so I can just delete the damn thing. I tried finding it in the postgreSQL folder and that number does not exist in the data folder, some numbers close but not that one. I also did a file/folder search and could not find it on the machine.

These fixes are so very time consuming especially when it comes to essentially starting over. It took hours to import the hhs in the first place. Now, in order to complete a simple database maintenance step included in the program, I essentially have to start over. I won't be purgin any more hand histories. Gotta be a better way.

The old PT access db is looking really attractive about now. At least they were self-contained and transportable.

Anyway, I appreciate your efforts.

Thanks for your help.

morny
11-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Its not as simple as just deleting it as it looks like a table in the database is damaged so its like saying the chain is broke on my bike so ill just remove it, these tables usually link everything together and when one of them is damaged its usually unrepairable.

As i mentioned in the first response you can try repairing this index handhistories_pkey index but i think those errors are usually something more serious. Have you any other issues, unless its effecting performance then you should be able to get by without the vacuum, ive never done a vacuum and ive excellent speeds.

If you dont have many HH then it wont take long to export and reimport to a new database