PDA

View Full Version : Purge hands at what database size?

fizzypants
02-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Hello,

I have over 200k hands in my database and was wondering if I need to begin purging them?

I am scared to lose any valuable advantage as a result of purging. I read the Purging FAQ and am confused because of two conflicting statements mentioned. In one place it states:

"The hands will no longer be included in report results however will still appear in HUD stats for the time being until the Cache rebuilder is completed"

And in another place it states:

"Purging does not delete the hand completely; it just deletes the hand history details but keeps the stats in the database. Once you purge a hand, you cannot view the hand history or view it in the Replayer."

My concerns are:

1) If I purge my HHs, will I lose my winnings/sessions/etc details when I run a report on myself?

2) When I click the PLAYERS tab, I am able to see 20k+ players with all their details (winnings, bb/100, etc) which I can sort by BB/100 to find the fishes etc. Will I lose all these numbers and list of players if I purge the HHs?

3) Is there any alternative to purging HHs just in case my PC gets slow and purging is the only left alternative?

4) I'm really confused of which HEM features will purging exactly remove and which it won't?

5) Does a huge database size affect my PC's performance too, or will it just make my HEM slow?

6) Should I delete the purchased HH folders after importing them to HEM? If yes, will be able to retrieve those HHs lying in HEM's database in the old format, if required at a later date?

7) I have a 1.87 GB RAM Intel Core 2 Duo CPU , E7200 @ 2.53 GHz......Till when is this good enough? What should I upgrade it to, if needed?

Sorry for so many questions! Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Patvs
02-11-2011, 03:35 AM
options--> settings--> observed HH configuration--> purge hands--> will only delete the ability to REPLAY/EXPORT the hand.

options--> settings--> purge hands--> will delete the hand entirely, including stats based on that hand, the results in the graphs/winnings/sessions, etc.

----

A huge database on a slow harddisk will affect HoldemManager's performance. (the bigger the database, the slower import speeds will get, the slower it will take to run a report, etc.) It won't affect your overall's PC performance.

However with your 200k hands your database is still really small.
I wouldn't begin with purging, until after you've hit a 2 million hand database.

--

Never delete the purchased HH folders. But save them in your archive folder.
In case you ever need to reimport the original handhistories.

You could do with more RAM, if you ever plan to upgrade. Or assign more RAM to PostgreSQL, read:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

fizzypants
02-11-2011, 04:04 AM
Thanks a lot!

Just one query:

When I "import from folder" into HEM, which folder do the hands go into? Do they go into the HMArchive folder? From what I understand of "archive", I think old hands would be moved there automatically? I have no clue. How do I save the PTR hands in HMArchive? I see that my HMArchive folder already has quite a few hands. Where did they get in there from?

I'm so confused about the HMArchive folder and its functionality. Is there a detailed FAQ about HMArchive?

Sorry for the trouble :(

netsrak
02-11-2011, 04:44 AM
c:\hmarchive is just a folder where the auto-import moves imported hands to. See it as a security backup for the original handhistories from the pokersites.
The auto-import moves the files 15 mins after the last access.

The hands itself are imported into the postgresql database.

Import file and import from folder don't move the files.

fizzypants
02-11-2011, 05:05 AM
c:\hmarchive is just a folder where the auto-import moves imported hands to. See it as a security backup for the original handhistories from the pokersites.
The auto-import moves the files 15 mins after the last access.

The hands itself are imported into the postgresql database.

Import file and import from folder don't move the files.

I'm lost :(

1) If HMArchive is a security backup for the original handhistories from the pokersites, why do the HHs disappear from my pokersite folder after being imported to HEM?

2) I'm confused between auto-import and normal importing from folder? Don't both of them do the same thing i.e. import the hands to HEM, the only exception being auto-import imports the hands while they are being played in realtime, whereas "import from folder" is for hands already played. If I'm getting this right, all the hands go to POSTGRES database PLUS the archive folder? But isn't the POSTGRES already a backup because the hands are saved there as well?

netsrak
02-11-2011, 12:55 PM
1) because the auto-import moves them there. Thats the default behaviour

2) the auto-import controls the Hud too. And all hands go to the Postgresql database. The database is no backup its the working base for all HM functions, it contains hands, stats, players, notes, .....
HMarchive is only a backup of the hands.
And you should do regular backups of your postgresql database too:
http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database

fizzypants
02-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Never delete the purchased HH folders. But save them in your archive folder.
In case you ever need to reimport the original handhistories.

Do I need to do this manually or will the import do this by default?

Patvs
02-12-2011, 03:01 AM
If you move the hands into an auto import folder, they will be moved automatically.

If you use the "import from folder" on these hands (recommended)--> you'll have to manually move them to a folder you like to save them.

fizzypants
02-12-2011, 03:26 AM
If you move the hands into an auto import folder, they will be moved automatically.

If you use the "import from folder" on these hands (recommended)--> you'll have to manually move them to a folder you like to save them.

Sorry I am not good with tech stuff. Is "moving the hands into an auto-import folder" the same as clicking auto-import at HEM start screen? I don't deal with any folders in this case since HEM imports the hands into its database. The only folder that I know of is my pokersite folder which gets emptied, and if I am right, these hands now go into the Postgres database AND HMArchive folder.

Even if I "import from folder" (say C:\FTP\HandHistory) , the same process takes place right? The FTP folder gets cleared and all the hands will move to HMArchive. I don't get what folder you're asking me to manually move hands to?

Thanks.

Patvs
02-12-2011, 04:34 AM
6) Should I delete the purchased HH folders after importing them to HEM? If yes, will be able to retrieve those HHs lying in HEM's database in the old format, if required at a later date?

I think you confused me by talking about "purchased HH folders" in your opening post. I thought you wanted to know what your should do, if for example you received 50.000 hands from PTR a DAY. Sent in 2x 20 MB txt files.

If you're just playing on Full Tilt. Just always use the auto import during your sessions. And only worry about purging hands, if you run out of diskspace, or your HoldemManager performance / import speeds DURING auto import decrease a lot.

fizzypants
02-12-2011, 04:45 AM
I do play on two other sites as well and I do purchase HHs from PTR. What I do with the HHs purchased from PTR is save them to the desktop then use "import from folder".

1) Does this put them in the HMArchive by default so that I can retrieve/export them at a later date, if needed?

2) Also, do my actually-played HHs of FTP/other sites also go to HMArchive as well?

3) If I open HEM after finishing my session, should I click "auto-import" or "import from folder"? Auto-import will fetch them automatically too right? And put them in the HMArchive too?

Thanks!

Sarek
02-12-2011, 06:21 AM
HM moves HHs to archive only when using autoimport
so, if you use Import from folder, you have to archive HHs manually (if you want this)

fizzypants
02-12-2011, 06:29 AM
HM moves HHs to archive only when using autoimport
so, if you use Import from folder, you have to archive HHs manually (if you want this)

Oh ok didn't know that...so let's say I "imported from folder" and forgot to copy-paste the HH notepad files in the HMArchive folder before importing, where do I find those HHs now so that I can put them in HMArchive?

Sarek
02-12-2011, 06:36 AM
you have to move them in archive AFTER Import from folder (if you want to put them in archive)
and they are located exactly in folder you imported from

fizzypants
02-12-2011, 07:06 AM
you have to move them in archive AFTER Import from folder (if you want to put them in archive)
and they are located exactly in folder you imported from

But the folder where I imported from becomes empty once I import them to HEM...I can see my pokersite/HandHistory folder is empty :(

netsrak
02-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Import from folder doesn't delete or move files.
Only auto-import moves them

fizzypants
02-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Import from folder doesn't delete or move files.
Only auto-import moves them

Ok so whats better for actual-played hands: auto-import or import from folder??

And what about purchased HHs, I have to move them manually to HMArchive right?

Patvs
02-13-2011, 01:46 AM
Actually-played hands: auto import
Purchased hands from PTR: import from folder. After you've imported purchased hands just make sure you have the .txt files. You could either move them to C:HMArchive, or instead of to your desktop save them to that folder to begin with, or create a separate folder for them where you save ALL the purchased handhistory files.