PDA

View Full Version : Customize paging file settings?

The_Closer
02-09-2011, 01:24 AM
I am just going over some of the FAQ's again since adding 2g memory.

I thought I saw something previously on customizing the size of the paging file for the virtual memory. However, I can't seem to locate it.

Should I have this set to "automatically manage paging file size for all drives"
or a custom size?

It's showing WAYY more "space avail." than what is "currently allocated."

Thx

Patvs
02-09-2011, 03:00 AM
Just set it to automatically for all drives.

In the past, tweakers would put the page file on a different partition the OS is on. Of they would even create a separate partition just for the paging file.
(to improve performance)

However, if the paging file is being used, you're already screwed, since 12-tabling poker + HoldemManager + PostgreSQL will still freeze your computer if it has to resort to reading/using the paging file on a regular harddisk.

If you have enough RAM.... and you have a SSD harddisk it's recommended to turn off paging completely to reduce writes to the SSD.

The_Closer
02-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Ok, thanks. I don't know much about SSD's tbh.

My notebook is a few yrs old now, so I don't believe I have a SSD.

The RAM seemed to have made pretty big diff even tho I'm only on 32-bit w/ 4g.

Is SSD worth me looking into, considering I'm going to buy a whole new sick desktop set-up in a few months?

Thx again!

Patvs
02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
If you're planning to buy a new (sick) desktop, the biggest performance improvement will be the SSD harddisk. (it;ll be much more noticeable than having more/faster RAM, faster videocard, faster CPU, etc. since the harddisk always has been the SLOWEST part of your computer)

Best ones are: Intel X25-M G2 Postville, OCZ Vertex 2.
But they're relatively really expensive in Price in $ / per GigaByte.

So don't go nuts by putting in a 300 GB SSD.
Also don't put them in a RAID0 array.
Cheapest solution would be:
80/120 GB SSD (for Windows + database) + adding a regular cheap 1 TB drive for all your media files.

The_Closer
02-09-2011, 11:01 PM
U lost me after SSD basically. :o

I probably should have mentioned I am slight above computer novice.

Maybe a better question should be: Where can I get the best advice on a new PC fro "A-Z" ? Or whom would u recommend I have build it?

I've had a cpl friends say than can help, but I want the best of the best.

The only thing I actually know is I want 3- 30" HD monitors... :p

I'll spend upwards of a several G's. for the set-up, excluding the monitors.
(I'll prob pay thru the ear , just for those.)

I basically want something that could run 3-5 different poker sites w/ 36+ tables, HEM running, PT3 running, 2 different browsers w/ 8 windows each, several background programs... and be able to watch a movie and download one at the same time ... w/ out blinking. LOL!

Ok, the last part was excess. But I think u get me? ;)

Any recommendations?

Thx for the great advice!