PDA

View Full Version : PostrgeSQL turning itself off

GarethChantler
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
For the past year I have been starting every session by going Control Panel->Admin Tools->Services->PostgresSQL and starting the service before I fire up HEM. The setting has always been on manual and this has worked quite well. Now, briefly after I have started Postgres it will turn off without warning. I only noticed when me HEM started failing to import hands. I tried changing it to the automatic setting without effect. I read in the FAQs that new firewall or defender programs can disrupt Postgres, but in the period since my last successful session and now I have not installed or upgraded any software of this type.

I am unsure how to proceed from here. Thanks

Gareth

Patvs
02-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Add exceptions for those files, including postgres.exe and pg_ctl.exe to the windows firewall, even if it is turned off.

GarethChantler
02-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Ok, progess has been made. I am running Windows Vista, Windows Firewall/Defender, and Symantec Antivirus btw.

So now HEM is running and Postgres is not turning off while HEM is on. I keep the services window open to monitor all day without issues. I made all the recommended changes in your last post.

HUD is working well additionally. But, we have no importing right now. I played a monster session today and I see that the hand histories are stuck in my player file still, which is an auto-import folder. I tried manual import, HEM didn't recognize any files. Also I noticed this in my session last night that it wasn't importing so I had FT send me hh's from yesterday, file import also didn't recognize that (its a diff format from regular hh's I think).

So yeah, HUD is back working and Postgres is functioning, or appears to be. No more cannot find ip errors. But now not importing. I'm running 1.11.05d fwiw.

Killer day today I want to see that graph ;)

Thanks for your help so far

Patvs
02-07-2011, 12:57 AM
If you MOVE the hands in your auto import folder, to a different folder... and you try to reimport them: do they import as errors?

1.11.05d has a big All-in EV bug. Please update http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate.exe

Which SQL version are you running?
If 8.4. Can you update it to 8.4.7 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)

Also try to create a NEW empty database, as a test, to see if the hands do show up in HoldemManager when imported into the new database.

GarethChantler
02-07-2011, 04:25 PM
So I've done a very noob thing in my estimation. I upgraded HEM fine. But I was running 8.3. So I downloaded 8.4.7 ... but it didn't replace 8.3. So now I have both on my system and HEM seems confused. I followed the database backup instructions for 8.3 just because I'm a little scared of deleting anything now. When 8.4 installed it did to a different port than 8.3. I don't know if that's a major issue.

GarethChantler
02-07-2011, 04:47 PM
So when I fire up HEM now I get "The following error occurred when trying to open the database. Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host." And it goes to the screen where it has the password, port, etc. I choose the old port # and can connect to my main database and HEM fires up. So I assume I am using 8.3. Should I keep 8.3 and get rid of 8.4 or vice versa?

olliepower
02-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Hi,

Please view this FAQ

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can't+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQL+ )

GarethChantler
02-12-2011, 02:12 PM
"Should I keep 8.3 and get rid of 8.4 or vice versa? "

If you answer this question, maybe I can be on my way to getting this capricious software to work. I know its easier to refer me to FAQs, but you have to realize that I am very stupid.

Patvs
02-13-2011, 01:23 AM
You can keep both, as long as you have them using different ports.
For example:
SQL 8.4 on port 5432
SQL 8.3 on port 5433

If you only use one database link to SLQL 8.4, you can just uninstall SQL 8.3. (or vice versa)